U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-24-2011, 04:39 PM

63 posts, read 48,139 times
Default question about horseshoes....

I'll bet someone out there knows the answer.

What were horseshoes (that the work-a-day cowhorse would wear) made of in the 1880's?

Thanks,
Jann
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 09:53 PM

17,627 posts, read 22,043,857 times
hahahaha You caught me by surprise. I review hundreds of threads a day and I am not normally surprised. I almost spit coke all over my keyboard when I saw "Question about horseshoes..." hahahaha

I don't know what they were made out of in the 1880's, but I would think they were made out of the same material as wagon wheel rims. Malable steel. But that is a guess. I do know that the last set I had made were out of Titainium and they only lasted 300 miles. You might laugh, but I have exact miles on horseshoes because we travel by wagon.

Those are titainium cleets on the shoes.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 AM

Hi, Elkhunter,

They would have been iron or steel, of course, but when the change-over occurred I haven't been able to discover. In western novels you read about a horse's "steel-shod" hooves, never "iron-shod". Little details like that drive me nuts, so I'm still hoping for a definative answer.

I'll remember you if I ever have a question about wagon wheels...

What kind (breed) of horses make up your team?

Cheers,
J

Old 11-25-2011, 08:15 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,076,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JannAZ View Post
Hi, Elkhunter,

They would have been iron or steel, of course, but when the change-over occurred I haven't been able to discover. In western novels you read about a horse's "steel-shod" hooves, never "iron-shod". Little details like that drive me nuts, so I'm still hoping for a definative answer.

Cheers,
J
one that threw me was the buck elk

Old 11-25-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Hi, Elkhunter,

Cheers,
J
Percheron's with a little Quarter. 3/4 Percheron and 1/4 quarterhorse. Click on my name and go to my home page and you can see pictures of them.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 AM

Elkhunter, looked at your photos. I'm guessing the brown team is your percherons/quarter horses? The pintos look too small--but they're sure pretty. I love draft horses (well any horse, but especially drafters). Your team looks a lot like the team they use to pull a tourist stagecoach in Tombstone. I always feel sorry for them--they seem so bored, and you're not allowed to slip 'em a carrot.

-J

Old 11-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Elkhunter, looked at your photos. I'm guessing the brown team is your percherons/quarter horses? The pintos look too small--but they're sure pretty. I love draft horses (well any horse, but especially drafters). Your team looks a lot like the team they use to pull a tourist stagecoach in Tombstone. I always feel sorry for them--they seem so bored, and you're not allowed to slip 'em a carrot.

-J
The pinto's are the percherons. They're trained to pull singly, as a team, they're broke to saddle and they're broke as pack horses.

I talked to Dan, the local ferrier and he said the shoes made in the late 1800's was a soft iron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming