Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 PM

17 posts, read 43,809 times

Advertisements

Howdy Everyone!

Its been a while since I have been on the forums, but thought this would be a good place to discuss this subject.

I am curious to know what people in Wyoming do on Sundays?

I understand many work because of shift schedules, but I know for many across the equality state, Sunday is sort of a free day or off-day.

So.... how do you spend your Sundays?
- Do you have any special traditions, activities, etc?
- How does your Sunday's change with the seasons?
- If you work on Sundays, how often and when in the day?
- What do you look forward to on Sunday?

Your input would be most appreciated! Although I have nothing to give in return for your response, might just say Happy Sunday to you!

Brian from Douglas, WY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan4411 View Post
Howdy Everyone!

Its been a while since I have been on the forums, but thought this would be a good place to discuss this subject.

I am curious to know what people in Wyoming do on Sundays?

I understand many work because of shift schedules, but I know for many across the equality state, Sunday is sort of a free day or off-day.

So.... how do you spend your Sundays? Chores, breakfast and church, if I don't have to work my town job.
- Do you have any special traditions, activities, etc? Recreation or repair projects after church.
- How does your Sunday's change with the seasons? Spend more time outdoors in the warmer weather. Sewing, knitting projects are saved for down time in the colder weather.
- If you work on Sundays, how often and when in the day? Whenever I'm needed. Two to three Sundays a month. They're usually shorter days, 6-8 hours.
- What do you look forward to on Sunday? Sleeping an hour or so later, church, the luxury of eating a slow breakfast.

Your input would be most appreciated! Although I have nothing to give in return for your response, might just say Happy Sunday to you! Brian from Douglas, WY
You could share your traditions and favorite things about Sundays.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Sundays I try and go out and get some meat for the table. I either grab the fishing pole, the rifle or the shotgun, depending on season and weather.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
When I'm in Wyoming on a Sunday (usually just once or twice a year), I try to get to church, then I usually get on the road for the rest of the day, since I'm in road trip mode during those times.
Since I've done this quite a few times over the years, I'd have to say that's my Sunday "Tradition."

Old 11-28-2011, 01:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
When I'm in Wyoming on a Sunday ... I try to get to church, ...
Doing that in WY frequently has led to a great meal, and often a night's accommodation and helping w/ chores on Monday (and new friends to keep in touch with for 20+ yrs)

My Sunday tradition for 7 yrs was delivering the Denver Post . Rocky Mtn news, and fetching movies from Drive-in and Main Street Theaters through out WY (I guess that was a few years ago )

I did the Sunday Brunch @ Little America if I was running REAL late.

Closed up the Longbranch bar at Hawk Springs at 2AM on many a Sunday Morning. (not drinking and driving of course), but often delivering a cowboy or 2 home that seemed to have lost his ride. (wife likely got fed up and left him at the bar)
Ugh, guess that was a long time ago too! http://www.torringtontelegram.com/V2...&story_id=1527

Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 PM

17 posts, read 43,809 times
thanks to everyone who has responded. This has definately been satisfy my curiousity, although I would like to hear from more people.

As for me.....

Sundays include.....
- a bigger than usual breakfast, not so much of a fast quick breakfast, but something like pancakes, french toast, etc.
- I dont sleep in so much on Sundays, but I dont care to as much. Rather get more of the day.
- I definately go to church regularly.
- Often after church I spend time with church family, either at lunch or something.
- Then for the rest of the day it is relax with my wife and catch up on any things needed around the house.
- If the weather is permitted I like to ride my bike, go for a hike, sunday afternoon drive.
- Since I do not have cable set up on my TV, I might go to some place with a football game on.
- Sometimes I like to find others who have nothing to do and play some board games, etc.
- I am a pastor. So.... I do "work" on Sundays but I wouldnt consider it work. But if you counted it as such. I work like 4 hours (preaching, teaching classes, and other little things)

Thats just a little from me on what I do on Sundays.

I am liking Sunday more and more because it is a great day to relax and since I am in more control of my work schedule. I try to take both saturday and sunday rest days/catch up days.

Thank you for the input. Please keep sharing.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
After you posted your activities I got to thinking.

When I was a kid growing up, the traditions were depending on the work week. On Sunday, you met at church and afterwords you had a picnic, or some sort of get together with friends or family. But that was because everybody worked Monday thru Friday. Some had to actually work on Saturday for a little while. But back then, stores were only open from 8 until 5, Monday thru Friday. Saturday stores were open from 9 until noon, but not all of them. Even filling stations closed at 6pm every day including Saturday, but were closed on Sunday. NOTHING was open on Sunday so people were forced to bond with others. But we didn't consider it being forced.

Today, a lot of stores are open 24/7. People work every day of the week and it's almost come to the point that there is no "Special" day of quiet, serene living. 200 channels of TV to watch, games televised 7 days a week and if you miss a game it's on again at 6, 10, 2am, 4am, etc... hahaha

So I took a look at myself and compared myself to my kids. The traditions I have are what I grew up with and haven't changed due to the fact that I'm retired. But looking at my kids and what they do "traditionally" is different then what I did, but some of what I did, has rubbed off on them.

I go fishing or hunting on Sunday. So do they. We have family get togethers, not based on time or availability, but "Sunday", because that's when we've always done it. I always shopped on Saturday because I wasn't working and the grocery store was one of the few stores that were open all day for the farmers and ranchers that come to town. Sunday is traditionally the day the meal hours are all messed up. hahahaha Large breakfast, a little later then normal. Lunch/dinner (yes we called the noon meal, Dinner) was notoriously large and abundant and we had it about 2-3. Supper, the evening meal, was usually later and it was finger food. We might have some quarter sandwhiches on a plate that we all shared. Maybe pop some popcorn. Watch a movie or play some board games. It was the day that mom actually got some relief from cooking supper. The kids did dishes and cleaned up. But it was a lazy evening with everybody loafing around. The family was together on Sunday Evening. No neighbors, no friends, just the family doing something together, at home. That, pretty much hasn't changed.

But it's an interesting question and really made me start to think. A lot of traditions are done out of habit, or done naturally and you don't think about it. When I was a kid, you just naturally didn't want or ask for a friend to spend the night on Sunday night. That was family time.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,940 times
Church....and than spend the rest of the day with Mrs. Eiafjam. Just her and I.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
After you posted your activities I got to thinking.

When I was a kid growing up, the traditions were depending on the work week. On Sunday, you met at church and afterwords you had a picnic, or some sort of get together with friends or family.
Ha, that reminds me of a recent trip to KS. We stopped at a very remote country church on a Sunday Evening (20+ miles from town). Service started at 8pm, so everyone could finish their chores. It was short, but the soup / sandwich and dessert potluck went on for a couple hours Yum I really miss Sunday Evening church, as it was very informal (lots of direct Q&A) and FUN (pastor always gave away 'door prizes' (a plethora of books and magazines that flowed across their desk)). We had plenty of bluegrass 'jam' also.

... , you just naturally didn't want or ask for a friend to spend the night on Sunday night. That was family time.

And Ed Sullivan & Bonanza

Interestingly, I really like to work on Sunday (especially when few places were open). Customers had a better appreciation for service, and tips were good. I still prefer to work on Sunday and take the rest of the week off

Old 12-03-2011, 04:34 AM

632 posts, read 1,517,521 times
In Douglas, WY, in the winter I sleep in a bit, work out, take the familiy to church, then spend the day doing household chores getting ready for work week and watching cool movies with kids.

During the summer, my family and I go, go, go. There is so much to do in our great state, that we are probably waking up inside a tent in the northern Laramie mountains, or getting up early to get yard work done before it gets too hot, or racing at the drag strip here in town (every other weekend in summer) or coming home from trip to Black Hills or Snowy Range mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming