U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:23 PM

8,075 posts, read 20,911,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Very well said. Although you can get Taco Bell and Target in Casper and I would guess Cheyenne.
As well as in the other larger towns in Wyoming.

But the local mexican restaurants ... Mom & Pop's ... in towns like Cheyenne, Casper, Gillette ... blow the doors off the franchise mediocrity of the Taco Bell's (and Taco John's, for that matter).

I even found a little mexican restaurant in Casper last week that had some excellent ceviche, although they only made shrimp ceviche. And their carne adobado was sublime ... I'll be back there for sure next trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 03:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 2,927,184 times
I agree that Mom and Pop places are always better. Breakfast is always better at those places. I've heard Sinclair has a very good Mexican place. I never seem to be there when I want to get something to eat so I haven't been able to try it. Sundance had the best Mom and Pop establishment for breakfast. I don't remember the name of it but they had a dish called the Devils Tower that looked like a stack of biscuits and gravy. These types of places are what help to make Wyoming a nice state to live in.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I agree that Mom and Pop places are always better. Breakfast is always better at those places. I've heard Sinclair has a very good Mexican place. I never seem to be there when I want to get something to eat so I haven't been able to try it. Sundance had the best Mom and Pop establishment for breakfast. I don't remember the name of it but they had a dish called the Devils Tower that looked like a stack of biscuits and gravy. These types of places are what help to make Wyoming a nice state to live in.
Ah, yes ... that "place in Sinclair" ... came highly recommended to me by a couple of friends that relocated here from New York City.

So I made it a point to try it a couple years ago. And I now understand why it appeals to folk who don't have a clue as to what mexican food is all about unless you're into gooey, gloppy, cheesey ... and outrageously salty without much flavor, spice, or heat. Not that heat is essential to good mexican food, but with the right blend of chili peppers in the cooking, it can add a lot of dimensions to the food.

The place actually made Taco John's look really good.

Bottom line: Don't waste your time heading to Sinclair for mexican (style) food. This is one Mom and Pop that just doesn't get the job done ....

Old 12-18-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Ah, yes ... that "place in Sinclair" ... came highly recommended to me by a couple of friends that relocated here from New York City.

So I made it a point to try it a couple years ago. And I now understand why it appeals to folk who don't have a clue as to what mexican food is all about unless you're into gooey, gloppy, cheesey ... and outrageously salty without much flavor, spice, or heat. Not that heat is essential to good mexican food, but with the right blend of chili peppers in the cooking, it can add a lot of dimensions to the food.

The place actually made Taco John's look really good.

Bottom line: Don't waste your time heading to Sinclair for mexican (style) food. This is one Mom and Pop that just doesn't get the job done ....
I'll take that into consideration. Rock Springs has some great Mexican places.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:11 PM

17,426 posts, read 21,651,985 times
Quote:
I'll take that into consideration. Rock Springs has some great Mexican places.
I have to agree with that statement.

A few years back, I owned my own business building Post Frame Steel Buildings. When I'd take the crew on the road, I paid for motel, breakfast and supper. The guys had to worry about lunch themselves. We did a building down at Jim Bridger Power. I put the guys up in the Best Western. Every evening, we'd try a different place. Chinese one night, Mexican the next, etc.... I was seldom disappointed in supper. We found some outstanding meals for Wyoming standards. Certainly better then anything I've found in Sheridan.

Breakfast was breakfast. Pretty hard to mess up a couple eggs sunny side up or a stack of pancakes. haha

Lunch wise, because we were so far out of town, I'd stop by Subway at 6am and the guys would buy sandwiches and what not for lunch. I was surprised that Subway opened that early, but it was smart because they had a people lined up getting sandwiches for lunches.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I have to agree with that statement.

A few years back, I owned my own business building Post Frame Steel Buildings. When I'd take the crew on the road, I paid for motel, breakfast and supper. The guys had to worry about lunch themselves. We did a building down at Jim Bridger Power. I put the guys up in the Best Western. Every evening, we'd try a different place. Chinese one night, Mexican the next, etc.... I was seldom disappointed in supper. We found some outstanding meals for Wyoming standards. Certainly better then anything I've found in Sheridan.

Breakfast was breakfast. Pretty hard to mess up a couple eggs sunny side up or a stack of pancakes. haha

Lunch wise, because we were so far out of town, I'd stop by Subway at 6am and the guys would buy sandwiches and what not for lunch. I was surprised that Subway opened that early, but it was smart because they had a people lined up getting sandwiches for lunches.
Los Cabos is the best one.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:38 PM

17,426 posts, read 21,651,985 times
Quote:
Los Cabos is the best one.
I think that's the one that brought me a burrito on a platter and it still hung over the ends. I didn't realize their burrito's were so huge so I had ordered a burrito and something else. Then two people, one on each end of the platter carried the burrito out to my table. This other guy come out with a 4x4 to prop under that end of the table so it didn't tip over. I ate half of the burrito and was so stuffed I hurt. But, not only big, but it was absolutely delicious.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:18 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,818,819 times
When we first moved to Gillette a few years ago we were told that a place called Mona's (on E. 2nd) was the place to go for good Mexican food. We didn't try it out until a year or so later, and when we did we were disgusted! I ordered one of my favorites, a chile rellano. The server asked me if I wanted green sauce or cheese on it. I said cheese. What I didn't know is that she meant cheese SAUCE. When the dish came the rellano was floating in gross grease. The breading was totally soggy. On top was about a cupful of plain (not nacho), out of the can cheese sauce! It was so gross I couldn't eat it. Needless to say that was the last time we went there. I don't know if it has gotten any better, but we learned our lesson that not everywhere that is recommended is as good as people say! We did find a tiny cafe that opened last year (had been another Mexican place owned by someone else before) that is attached to the Kum & Go station on E. 2nd. The couple who run it are from Mexico. It is so authentic that you can't read the menu unless you can read Spanish! Anyway, the gal who owns it, Savannah, was very helpful in telling what they had available. Some I would never try (dishes made from cow tongue and other parts of animals that weren't at all appealing to me!) but those I did try were excellent. I'm not sure if they are still in business as we moved in August, but it was a great little place when we tried it.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,022,987 times
Douglas that old McD that is a Mexican place, allway busy when we stop ,

Old 12-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Douglas that old McD that is a Mexican place, allway busy when we stop ,
Am in Douglas right now to call on accounts here and in Casper this week.

Where is the "old McD" located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming