U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,502 times

Advertisements

SO I am moving to Rock Springs Wyoming from Florida. I am aware it is a very big change in terms of weather and something I may have to overcome. However, I can't find anywhere to live online because I am looking to rent and there are very little rental properties listed online. Does anyone have any suggestions for me???

I would like to be close to the airport. Are there any surrounding areas I may want to look into?

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:01 PM

275 posts, read 336,310 times
My only suggestion for you is to come to Rock Springs to see what you are really in for. Im not trying to be rude by no means, but when you ask about being close to the airport? The only thing that I remember out by the airport is an old junk yard and an old ranch located at the base of the hill. If you really are planning on moving to the Rock, try contacting a real estate management property agent, and get advice from them. There are a few duplex type homes on the north end of town, they are selling I believe around $180,000...Good luck, I really believe that you are in for a rude awakening..

Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 PM

18,082 posts, read 23,133,158 times
Sound advice from Poletop. In Wyoming, most rental listing are not advertised, but instead are handled by the Real Estate folks. People list through them because they are already set up to run back ground checks, credit checks, etc....

Yup, there's going to be a big of difference between Florida and Wyoming in General.

One word of caution, I'd only get the bare minimum of foul weather gear before you come up. There's a big difference in quality of clothes between Florida and Wyoming. You'll find the clothes up here are made a lot better and are better suited for the temps you will encounter. Also think layers. If it's zero outside, I'll wear blue jeans and a denim shirt. Pull over sweater, then a insulated hoodie and then a blue jean jacket. Wear wool liners inside of gloves and in real cold wear wool liners inside of mittens. Get yourself a hat that has ear flaps and then pull your hoodie over top of that and tie er down. haha Boots are another thing you'll either want to order through the internet or wait til you get up here.

Good luck! If you don't mind my asking, what'r you going to be doing? Inside job, outside, both?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 PM

3,571 posts, read 3,298,018 times
The airport is several miles out of town. As Poletop said, there is nothing around it. Check this out for rentals: Rentals classifieds powered by the Rocket-Miner Newspaper

You should also take ElkHunter's advice.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:32 AM

8,338 posts, read 22,614,083 times
While the clothing issue can be a real problem, there are ways to address this before moving to Wyoming ...

I suggest you check out sites such as the Sierra Trading Post, based in Cheyenne. They are a discount outlet for overstocks, discontinued merchandise, and closeouts ... of quality clothing at a substantial price reduction to retail stores. Look for name brands such as Columbia, Carhartt, North Face, etc. in their inventory.

For workwear or outdoor wear, I use a lot of Columbia, Filson, and Carhartt clothing. In colder weather, especially in snow ... I'll wear a pair of Carhartt insulated bib coveralls over a pair of levi's and layer up with a thermal T-shirt/cotton blend T-shirt, and then a synchilla or similar thermal pull-over shirt. Top outer layer is a shell coat or a medium weight Columbia coat with a hood, and I use knitted south american style caps with the long sides to cover my ears and back of the neck. In moderate to severe weather when I don't want to use so many layers, I'll use a Filson outer coat ... especially if it's not severe enough to warrant using the bib's and I'm just wearing jeans. I find the Carhartt and Wrangler brand jeans to be more comfortable and durable than levi's .... but YMMV, depending upon the type of outdoor exposure you are dealing with.

You'll need adequate insulated footwear to protect against the elements and cold. Again, Sierra Trading Post is a good source for this on-line and has many outstanding brands. I prefer Justin or Chippewa, both domestic made brands on lasts that fit my feet ... but you may find that Ariat or other brands made in the far east will fit you properly; they sell a lot of footwear so apparently a lot of people are satisfied with their product.

For more dressy wear in cold weather here, I rely upon Filson coats. These are serious outdoor workwear clothing made in the USA, comfortable and durable. I have single and double layer coats that are hand-me-downs from my Dad ... now 40+ years old and they still look good and perform well. I've only bought one new one in 30 years (on sale at Cabela's, another excellent local retailer ... buy on-line from their catalogue sales dept although their retail store in Sidney is well worth the trip to check out the merchandise and store setting). Their double-layer coats are serious outdoor cold weather wear, capable of stopping all the winds and moisture ... although a bit much for me to wear for outdoor work, they're good for those times when you are less active like cold weather fishing or sitting around a hunting blind or camp.

Drover style coats are also a desirable item for wet weather outdoor workwear around here. We use "outback" brand, which are made from a waxed cotton canvas style fabric. My wife has a couple of their jackets which see a lot of hard use as chore coats in milder weather ....

LL Bean is another source of seriously good outdoor cold weather wear, although it's not as targeted to the work wear market. I like their stuff for the performance of it, but it's clothing that I can wear out in a number of years of use. Their chamois shirts, especially long-sleeve, are a good layering choice for all-around use in cold weather.

As a general guideline, cold weather clothing tends to be divided along two lines ... that which is durable outdoor workwear or specific task outdoor clothing, such as ski wear. You'll not need a lot of cold weather clothing to get started here, but in time you'll know your exposure and requirements better and can buy accordingly. Buy top quality stuff to begin with and you'll not regret having it when the cold weather months come around.

As mentioned above, KRKS sits out in the middle of nowhere in an exposed location. There's no residential area around it; it's some distance to town from it. From an access standpoint, it's not like there's a lot of traffic between town and the airport so it's pretty accessible. There's only a handful of commercial flights daily at this airport, and regional air transport ... even with the subsidies for essential air service ... is a pricey proposition. If you are a private pilot/aircraft owner and wanting to be close to your FBO ... or if that is where you'll be working ... then the distance and time to town is pretty reasonable.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-22-2011 at 02:44 AM..

Old 12-23-2011, 12:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,502 times
thanks everyone for your replies. I am taking it all into consideration and unfortunately I am being relocated for work and have no choice but to come to Wyoming. So I will welcome the experience with open arms and hope I can make it work!!!

I will definitely wait until I get there to get the bulk of my new wardrobe lol

Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 AM

18,082 posts, read 23,133,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephypie View Post
thanks everyone for your replies. I am taking it all into consideration and unfortunately I am being relocated for work and have no choice but to come to Wyoming. So I will welcome the experience with open arms and hope I can make it work!!!

I will definitely wait until I get there to get the bulk of my new wardrobe lol
Come on now, you make it sound like a bad thing. Hmmmm. Coming from Florida to Rock Springs in the middle of winter, can't be a good thing. hahahaha

Welcome to Wyoming. I think you'll find that it's really a good thing but you may not realize it til spring thaw.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:08 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,212,481 times
use alot of Filson, sweaters, vest, coats chaps, it is spendy but will out last anything else you can buy....

Old 12-27-2011, 12:07 PM

405 posts, read 455,836 times
Oh good grief, the majority of us run around in our t-shirts short or long sleeved with anything from a fleece jacket to a down filled coat on over it. Yes when it dips into the single digits and below gloves are nice and maybe a scarf but you don't need all of the extra gear everyone is talking about if you're just running around town. I realize coming from Florida you will have to acclimate but this time of year that will happen rather quickly. You are in for quite a shock, weather aside.
Alpine Property Management handles rentals in town 307-362-9638/5360.
You can also check online in the local paper. Rocketminer.com

jody_wy.....chaps?! LOL Ya'll are killin me....

For the record no one is running around in chaps, and what the heck is a Filson coat?? I've been here over fifteen years and have never even heard of half the crap you all are talking about. A pair of Uggs are nice but plenty of people run around in tennis shoes or uninsulated boots too.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:10 PM

405 posts, read 455,836 times
What kind of work will you be doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming