U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 PM

917 posts, read 734,342 times

Advertisements

If extreme elevation is a concern with health conditions there are still plenty of scenic areas and routes, good walking places, fishing, rodeos, all that, to be had.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 12:19 PM

50 posts, read 63,634 times
The Jackson Hole, Cody and Bozeman airports would serve as more convenient points of departure for the scenic wonders of northwestern Wyoming (Yellowstone, Grand Teton NP and the Wind River range), not to mention the Beartooth Highway which runs from the northeastern corner of Yellowstone to Red Lodge, MT (see The Beartooth Highway & Beartooth Pass | Montana | Wyoming ).

Don't forget the much quieter western side of the Tetons which can be viewed from Driggs, Victor and Tetonia, Idaho, as well as the spectacular Sawtooth Mountains and Sawtooth Scenic Byway which runs from Stanley to Ketchum, Idaho. For a one-stop graphic representation of many of the most impressive drives in the Northern Rockies, complete with regionally specific itineraries, consult Rocky Mountain Vacations- Northern Rockies Travel- Top 10 Scenic Drives .

If you truly have your heart set on Cheyenne, a must-see attraction would be the Snowy Range Scenic Byway (Wyoming Hwy 130 from Laramie to the Upper Platte River Valley, see Snowy Range Scenic Byway - Wyoming Businesses - Wyoming Travel and Tourism ).

Old 01-20-2012, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 3,196 times
Thanks for all the input...am going to print it off and get my map out I just found that I can arrive in Casper for the same flight fee and car rental as Salt Lake so another avenue to consider. Thanks again!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:50 PM

11,268 posts, read 18,932,579 times
Good advice so far, Tho I have done both Jackson and Black Hills on 4th of July and is not fitting for a 'country girl'. If there is anyway you could reschedule for WY 'off-season (I prefer fall) I would do so, or just come and expect traffic / crowds / tough to find lodging. I do my YNP travel during early morning and early evening. Also lunch break is a good time to make progress on road. I find a nice place to relax mid morning and mid-day. By supper time the families are in camp or the few eateries.

If you find your way in Cheyenne / Laramie, I highly recommend Snowy Range, Snowy Range Scenic Byway
and for guided or / outfitted fishing adventure; Saratoga. (I thought you were flying your own plane to Cheyenne, so was gonna recommend Saratoga as an alternative.) Encampment is nice too. - You could do a Northern Colorado / Southern WY trip and see plenty too. (and avoid 4th in YNP venue). I get $10 cars at DEN via priceline.

BTW, a Great place to go for 4th of July is Portland, OR / Vancouver WA. (largest Fireworks west of Miss. River + Oregon Beaches, Mtns and Scenic Columbia Gorge. all within 1 hr !!) Plan your travels AFTER the 4th, as our 80 days of summer usually starts on the 5th

SWA serves PDX, so $80 airfare from many locations

Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,269,977 times
If you want to go to Cheyenne keep in mind it will be a LONG drive to Jackson. It is just under 7 hours one way. The major tourist attractions are closer to the I-90 corridor. Devil's Tower and the Black Hills are in the northeast part of the state right on I-90 and Rapid City would be the best airport to fly into. The northwest part of the state which is where Yellowstone and Grand Teton is best approached through the Billings airport. This is not to say that Cheyenne is a bad area and I have heard that there are areas around Laramie that are beautiful, it's just that ten days may be a bit too quick of a visit due to drive times.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:44 PM

2,051 posts, read 2,197,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
If you want to go to Cheyenne keep in mind it will be a LONG drive to Jackson. It is just under 7 hours one way. The major tourist attractions are closer to the I-90 corridor. Devil's Tower and the Black Hills are in the northeast part of the state right on I-90 and Rapid City would be the best airport to fly into. The northwest part of the state which is where Yellowstone and Grand Teton is best approached through the Billings airport. This is not to say that Cheyenne is a bad area and I have heard that there are areas around Laramie that are beautiful, it's just that ten days may be a bit too quick of a visit due to drive times.
don't you mean just over 7 hours?

Old 01-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
don't you mean just over 7 hours?
The shortest route on MapQuest says 6:51 and the longest 7:30. Either way it is a day's drive.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:18 PM

2,051 posts, read 2,197,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
The shortest route on MapQuest says 6:51 and the longest 7:30. Either way it is a day's drive.
so don't drink coffe , water or anything to make those times right

Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
so don't drink coffe , water or anything to make those times right
That's about the only way that will work. Or bring a bottle.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:41 AM

1,868 posts, read 1,987,975 times
Although there are tourists in Cody during the summer it is nothing like the tourist scene in Jackson or larger "tourist traps". You may want to consider the 4th of July in Cody as they always have a nice little parade and a rodeo. There is a smaller rodeo in the small town of Tensleep at the foot of the Big Horns on the 4th as well. Fireworks you can get about anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming