Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 AM

206 posts, read 482,898 times

Advertisements

Any must see dinosaur museums, exhibits, etc that would be good for the kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 05:27 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,767,451 times
Glenrock Paleontological Museum

Paleon Museum - Welcome to Glenrock, Wyoming*

Casper College's Tate Museum

Casper College Tate Geological Museum ~ Casper, Wyoming

I know that the staff of the Tate Museum can steer you towards other dino-related activities in the state, if you are looking for more or something different.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 AM

10,307 posts, read 13,840,434 times
Thermpolis has the Wyoming Dinosaur Center. I haven't been there but it might be worth it to check it out. Wyoming Dinosaur Museum

If you are traveling a long distance Dinosaur National Monument on the Utah/Colorado line is very interesting.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM

254 posts, read 877,498 times
The Geological Museum at the University of Wyoming in Laramie is also pretty interesting.

Geological Museum | Geology & Geophysics | University of Wyoming

Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 AM

3,645 posts, read 6,256,668 times
The one in Thermop is great it always changing and you can go up to the dig site too

Old 01-21-2012, 12:26 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,965,616 times
There is one in Ranchester, just NorthWest of Sheridan and although it's great for the local school kids, I wouldn't go out of my way to come and see it. It's a small mom and pop shop that has really interesting things to see, but in 30 minutes you can look at everything twice. It's pretty small and a long ways out of your way from seeing the much larger exhibits around Wyoming. They advertise all over the place, so if you see anything about Ranchester in the ad, keep looking.

I did a quck look for an old thread I remembered and I couldn't find it. But there are museums all over Wyoming, almost one in every town. So it's smart that you find out here, the good from the bad, so you can plan your trip wisely. Wyoming has a lot of miles between towns.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:33 AM

206 posts, read 482,898 times
Looking to make a quick stop somewhere while visiting Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Is Thermopolis relatively close?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 AM

10,307 posts, read 13,840,434 times
Thermopolis is a few hours from Yellowstone's East Entrance nearest Cody. There is a direct route between Cody and Thermopolis.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 PM

50 posts, read 141,129 times
If you are going to Yellowstone, one museum that would definitely be worth the drive would be the Museum of the Rockies, which is located on the campus of Montana State University in Bozeman. According to their website, "MOR is home to one of the largest and most famous collection of dinosaur fossils in the world. Dinosaur fossils in our collection have all been found in Montana rocks from the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. Dinosaur dig crews led by paleontologist and curator Jack Horner, science advisor to the Jurassic Park films and the 2011 Fox TV show Terra Nova, excavate fossils which are prepared and studied at the Museum in Bozeman. Some of the most famous dinosaurs in the world such as Tyrannosaurus rex, Triceratops, and Deinonychus (very similar to Velociraptor) can be seen on display.

Many of our dinosaur fossils are on display in the Museum, but most of our collection stays in our storage facilities. MOR has the largest collection of T.rex fossils in the world, and Dr. Horner is constantly updating our exhibits based on new research and fossils that are being excavated and studied by his team" (Museum of the Rockies > Collections > Dinosaurs ).

Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,209,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Thermopolis is a few hours from Yellowstone's East Entrance nearest Cody. There is a direct route between Cody and Thermopolis.
Cody to Thermop is 85 miles, so less than an hour & a half away. If you are into museums then the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody is a must see. It is actually several museums in one. Buffalo Bill Historical Center From Cody it is less than an hour's drive to Yellowstone. While in Thermopolis your kids would love to swim at one of the hot springs pools there in Hot Springs State Park. I lived in Thermop for 13 years, and although there isn't a lot there, the park and the dinosaur museum are two things worth taking in. If you do go from Thermop to Cody you may want to stop where we live now, in Meeteetse (tiny town!) as it has some small museums that would only take a short time to visit. Honk when you are coming through and I'll probably hear you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming