Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,430 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Cody. Lost my wife of 35 years to ALS 5 years ago and retired three years ago. Spent 42 years as a newspaper reporter and editor mostly in the Rocky Mountain West, but also worked in Washington, D.C. long enough to realize it's no wonder we teeter on the brink of political disaster these days. I'm very tired of the rotten air, outrageous traffic, unplanned growth, and ticky-tacky shopping malls. I have no real problems with everyday Mormons, but their influence over government and politics in Utah is shameful. I hunt, flyfish, XC ski and am a dedicated black powder cartridge rifle nut. I'm also so healthy there's no hope of death very soon -- but I'm 74, so I could be wrong. I don't mind tourists (much), and I can stand wind as long as it's not like Casper. I've spent a lot of time in Cody over the years and have yet to find much that bothers me. Should I stay in SLC and die of pollution poisoning, or go to Cody and freeze?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 09:29 AM

116 posts, read 448,429 times
I vote Cody.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:16 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,547,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malin Foster View Post
I'm very tired of the... unplanned growth, and ticky-tacky shopping malls.
Everyone here whom I know enjoys the lack of government "planning". We don't have shopping malls but I'm sure you'd find our tourist areas very "ticky-tacky".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malin Foster View Post
I...XC ski... I don't mind tourists (much), and I can stand wind as long as it's not like Casper.
Cody has little snow; cross-country skiing is miles away. Cody is a tourist town. The tourist industry is to Cody what the coal industry is to Gillette. Cody is windy.

I almost always encourage people to move to the Cody area; but I know you would not be happy here.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 AM

3,640 posts, read 6,245,940 times
did like how the streets run square in SLC one could find where he needed to go so he could get the work done then out of town as quick as possable... like when the wool wearhouse move to Toolie

Old 02-05-2012, 01:58 PM

10,287 posts, read 13,808,863 times
Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. I would vote Cody as well, or possibly Sheridan or Powell. For what it's worth, I have a coworker who has complained that Cody is also a very Mormon-controlled town. I don't get that vibe from that town however, and think Park County residents are the friendliest in the state. It's an area I wouldn't mine living in someday.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 PM

WyoEagle,
Thanks very much. I've spent a lot of time in Cody and have never had the impression that it's an LDS-controlled town, but that's all relative. This is the LDS Mecca and there's nothing at all wrong with that. Mormons are great people. Their values are impeccable. I'm certainly not a Mormon-hater and their presence is certainly not a factor in any choice I would make for a home. I do object to government by scripture rather than by Constitution. I simply prefer small towns and SLC is by no means a small town. If I were to ever live in another big city it would be London. We lived there for a year while I was teaching at a university. Now, you wanna talk about wind? Go to London in winter and find out what wind really is, especially when it howls right off the North Sea, the English Channel or the Atlantic.

Last edited by Malin Foster; 02-05-2012 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: clarity, syntax

Old 02-05-2012, 10:13 PM

10,287 posts, read 13,808,863 times
Their values are impeccable. I'm certainly not a Mormon-hater and their presence is certainly not a factor in any choice I would make for a home. I do object to government by scripture rather than by Constitution.

I agree with this 100%. This person I work with was a business owner and said her store was boycotted since they were not Mormon. I think this was also about 20 years ago and I would be willing to bet that Cody has changed a bit in this time.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,939,079 times
Malin,

Have you spent much time in any other towns in Wyoming? I've never been to Cody so I can't compare it to anywhere else, but I, personally, would want to get further away from the tourists. I have a cousin that lives there and she lives for the tourist season. haha I'm just the opposite, keep the crowds away.

There are a lot of places in Wyoming that wind is not a factor. Sheridan, Dayton, Ranchester, Story, etc... Nestled up against the Eastern side of the Big Horns, the storms tend to miss us and so does the wind. Buffalo is nice too, but does get a little more stormy weather then further North.

What's nice about the outlying towns, Ranchester, Dayton, Parkman, Story, is that you are away from the fast pace of tourists, however, only 20 miles or less from shopping in Sheridan or even major shopping in Billings is only 140 miles away (makes for a good day trip).

Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Elk Hunter,
Yes, I've been to all those places and they are, indeed, nice. Thanks much for your comments.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. They're helpful and interesting. To recap my original message, I don't mind tourists, I can tolerate wind and Mormons are no big deal in my decision-making. I've lived much of my life around them and like them very much. Happy in Wyoming, ticky-tacky is in the eye of the beholder. Cody's biggest tourist attraction is the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. There's certainly nothing tacky about that. Yellowstone Park has become tacky in many ways, but it's still an incredibly beautiful place. Oh, and how, since you've never met me and gotten to know me, can you say I wouldn't be happy in Cody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming