Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 9,112 times

Advertisements

First of all, I want to apologize in advance for the bluntness and crudity of my post, as I'm sure it is going to offend some. Sugar-coating what I'm after won't serve me, however, so I've decided to be brutally honest.

There is a job opening in Rock Springs that I'm thinking about applying for, and I feel that chances are decent I'd wind up with the job. Before I saw this job listing, I'd never heard of Rock Springs. The only things I know about this town are what I've read on Wikipedia and in a few threads in this forum.

The thing that makes me nervous about moving to a small town like Rock Springs is that I'm worried it would be full of ignorant, conservative, god-fearing hicks.

My girlfriend and I have lived in large metropolitan areas on the West Coast our entire lives - areas that are very progressive and heavily Democratic. I'm not a "liberal" by any stretch, but if I was to ever vote for a Republican in any capacity, there'd have to be a damn good reason for it. We are also atheist. While my girlfriend and I are lily-white, her daughter is half Mexican. Oh yeah, and then there's the whole "living in sin" thing.

We wouldn't care what people might think about *us*, but we don't want to put my girlfriend's daughter into a potentially hostile situation. If the people of Rock Springs wouldn't be able to handle free-thinking atheists with a multi-ethnic kid, then I'd rather know now, before applying for the job.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I guess I'll be the first to tackle your concerns by gently suggesting that despite the overall friendliness of just about everybody I've ever met in Wyoming ...

the tone and attitude of your post suggests that you "project" that which you are upon others, despite your professed "live and let live" type of thinking. I sense a tolerance of only that which is in conformity of your narrow thinking, especially when you launch what you already know to be a potentially insulting assault upon those who you'd like to be accepting you before you've even gotten to know them or put any energy into meeting them.

IMO, if you were really happy in a "very progressive and heavily democratic" area in the West coast, my bet is that you'll not be very happy in Rock Springs ... and it won't be because of the people there giving your girlfriend's mixed race daughter a hard time, either.

PS: there's a long standing Hispanic culture and presence in the region. Maybe we're not quite as bigoted as you would project us to be.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:13 PM

83 posts, read 238,459 times
Moving to anywhere in Wyoming with a "half Mexican"; you would have no problems
Moving to anywhere in Wyoming "living in sin"; you would have no problems
Moving to most places in Wyoming as a staunch Democrat; you would probably have no problems as long as you didn't bring politics up
Moving most places in Wyoming as an athiest; you would have no problems.

Moving to Wyoming thinking that we are "ignorant, conservative, God-fearing hicks" is going to be problematic, because you're going to come across as if you are somehow better than the people you meet and that doesn't go over well.

Honestly, given the chip(s) on your shoulder, I would pass on applying for the job because it would be a big adjustment for so many other reasons and you wouldn't have the attitude to deal with that. Good luck in your job hunt though.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:32 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GESancMan View Post
First of all, I want to apologize in advance for the bluntness and crudity of my post, as I'm sure it is going to offend some. Sugar-coating what I'm after won't serve me, however, so I've decided to be brutally honest.

There is a job opening in Rock Springs that I'm thinking about applying for, and I feel that chances are decent I'd wind up with the job. Before I saw this job listing, I'd never heard of Rock Springs. The only things I know about this town are what I've read on Wikipedia and in a few threads in this forum.

The thing that makes me nervous about moving to a small town like Rock Springs is that I'm worried it would be full of ignorant, conservative, god-fearing hicks.

My girlfriend and I have lived in large metropolitan areas on the West Coast our entire lives - areas that are very progressive and heavily Democratic. I'm not a "liberal" by any stretch, but if I was to ever vote for a Republican in any capacity, there'd have to be a damn good reason for it. We are also atheist. While my girlfriend and I are lily-white, her daughter is half Mexican. Oh yeah, and then there's the whole "living in sin" thing.

We wouldn't care what people might think about *us*, but we don't want to put my girlfriend's daughter into a potentially hostile situation. If the people of Rock Springs wouldn't be able to handle free-thinking atheists with a multi-ethnic kid, then I'd rather know now, before applying for the job.

Thanks!
When I was in the trucking business back in the 1980s and 1970s Rock Springs was a boomtown. Truckers passing through nick named it the a$$hole of Wyoming. It was inundated with con artists,thieves, gamblers, prostitutes and had SOME of the most corrupt law enforcement officers in the State. Maybe things have changed. You would probably fit in and if keeping your daughter away from God Fearing Republicans is the most important thing to you, you may even love it.

GL2

Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
... I'm worried it would be full of ignorant, conservative, god-fearing hicks....

My girlfriend and I have lived in large metropolitan areas on the West Coast our entire lives - areas that are very progressive and heavily Democratic. I'm not a "liberal" by any stretch, but if I was to ever vote for a Republican in any capacity, there'd have to be a damn good reason for it....
Yes, most of Wyoming is full of ignorant, conservative, god-fearing hicks. It's also a Republican stronghold.

Judging from your post, I can't imagine you being happy in Rock Springs. It's just not up to your metropolitan West Coast Coolness.

Bawha nailed it.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 PM

48 posts, read 80,036 times
i just got here sunday and everyone i have talked to have been very friendly.

just reading your post tells me you should just stay where you are.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
I agree with previous posters. The only problem you would have in Rock Springs is with your incorrect forth-thinking attitude. You do apologize forthright for being offensive. I don't think we n Wyomng are easily offended, but we (like would expect anyone to be anywhere you go) don't appreciate pre-judgment before you even get to know people. If you had just asked your questons without your preconceived notions the responses to your post would most likely have been very positive. If you do decide to apply in Rock Springs, drop the 'tude and come with the idea that you will fit in just like anyone else.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:16 AM

16 posts, read 38,333 times
I would question whether you could be tolerant of us ignorant, conservative, God-fearing hicks.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM

400 posts, read 949,701 times
Just curious, are we ignorant because we are conservative and God fearing? Or because we live in a small town in Wyoming? I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM

774 posts, read 2,582,754 times
Well, keep in mind, I'm speaking to you as a God-fearing, non-ignorant, tolerant progressive-moderate. The biggest problem you'll have is your attitude that has already determined that everyone who doesn't think like you is inferior to you. To be quite honest, your attitude wouldn't be appreciated by the vast majority of people in any locale. Like so many people who proclaim to be very tolerant, you've shown great intolerance to people you've not yet met.

If you come here and are respectful of your neighbors and treat them with courtesy, you'd do fine.

Just as a heads up - it wasn't "potentially offensive". I, even as someone whose views don't always agree with those around me, am offended on their behalf.

Quote:

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming