Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all! So I'm looking at a future move to wyoming. It really won't be effective for 2 years minimum, but I figured I have nothing better to do, might as well ask this forum.

Ive read half of the stuff under the Wyoming sub forum here, but have a few questions.

Im almost done getting my degree, but it is merely for a degree's sake, as I am blue collar to the bone. I am currently a Infantryman is the Army National Guard, and am getting a reclass to a vehicle mechanic. I am also considering an apprenticeship with a carpenter I know.

I have been looking at towns throughout wyoming, and Park country really interests me. I grew up in a have suburb, and my only escape was a horse farm I worked at 30 minutes away.

My question is this. Though the cost of living in Wyoming is low, it seems that the housing market has very high prices, especially for 40+ acreage. It also seems incorporating full utilities and such also is quite an expense on the wallet.

Im looking for a small town move, and was wondering, what do families do to pay for their mortgages etc, when it seems high paying jobs are only in the major cities, or (not so nice) energy boom areas.

Will blue collar labor pay for a home, and a future family?

Thank you for all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,780,017 times
It is expensive to live in the scenic areas. I live in one. I also work three jobs, one full-time and two part-time to do so and still save.

My plan is to buy a home in a less scenic area with much cheaper housing costs and be a day tripper once I'm retired. The people I know in two areas (Sheridan and Park counties) who are living the dream you describe have two good incomes from jobs and other income from investments.

My job is good and I have a hobby that is only available here, that's why it's worth it to me for as long as I can participate. I know the mayor of a small town who has 5 part-time jobs to support herself. It just depends on what you want and what you are willing to do to get it.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:29 PM

11,554 posts, read 53,137,981 times
A few observations:

1) Basic premise incorrect: I think you are confusing a "low tax rate state" of low population with "inexpensive" costs of living. Wyoming is not an inexpensive place to live in the resort/tourist oriented communities, scenic areas, or energy boom towns. Some of these places are nicer than others, some are in remote areas that aren't scenic or have year-round easy access. In the tourist areas, you'll have a very difficult time making a living ... let alone supporting a family in a SFH ... on a "blue-collar" income. In the energy boom towns, you'll have the prospect of making a living, but you'll spend it all just to survive between the costs of housing, vehicles, food/medical, and recreation.

2) Typical wage ranges throughout the state for auto and truck mechanics is in the area of $15/hour, and the folk who are hired into the municipal/school/police or fire dept's get an advantage of benefit packages (including retirement bene's). Those in the energy boom towns will see a higher wage rate, but unless you work a lot of overtime, you'll see the increase in income offset by the increase in local costs of living. Unless you are skilled and experienced enough to land a job in a flat-rate shop that has consistent work flow for you ... you'll have a difficult time doing anything except surviving; at that, I know a few top level tech's in some shops that clear six-figure incomes, but they are very few and far between. You'll not walk into that type of job situation here without years of experience and above-average diagnostic and hand skills.

3) If you aren't completely dedicated to the automotive trade and the technical aspects of it today, you'll not make a good living in the business. The better paid auto techs have long progressed away from the concept of a "grease monkey" skillset, and the tooling/diagnostic equipment required in the biz is not inexpensive to acquire and keep up-to-date. IF carpentry appeals to you, then buy the tools and pursue the trade; it's much less demanding and expensive than advancing in the automotive tech business. But you'll not find it easy to pursue both, especially if you cannot make a convincing presentation that you'll stay at an auto shop if an opportunity presents to go do carpentry for awhile at a better wage rate while a project lasts.

4) Small remote towns don't offer much in the way of job opportunities. You can have "remote 40 acres", but you'll pay a price to live there. Only you can determine if the cost to value is worth it to you, or if the distant access to the amenities that you require is justified.

PS: every tech I know that works in a municpal or school bus garage has a second job or business. They don't do it just for fun, they do it out of necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming