Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 06:44 PM

78 posts, read 410,061 times

Advertisements

Good evening to everyone! I am brand new to this forum , but I have been reading all the posts about Wyoming. I would love being within easy reach of the beautiful mountains and wide open spaces. What is the terrain/climate like in Buffalo? Is it windy and flat or is it hilly and has a valley or two? I might be able to work for the Feds at the Bureau of Land Mangement and would like to consider moving to WY. I am in upstate NY right now, but I really want to get West. I lived in the Denver area for a little bit and fell in love with the high altitude and moutains. I realize Denver is a whole lot bigger than Buffalo but is Buffalo fairly large when it comes to basic stores, doctors, etc.?What is the apartment/rental market like? Are there really 4 seasons or two like someone said before (winter and July). Sorry for all questions, but it is good to hear from the locals . . .
thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 07:53 AM

24 posts, read 87,078 times
Thumbs up Buffalo

Hey JSGOOFN,

We sound just alike in many ways. I lived in Albuquerque for 10 yrs and cant wait to get back out West. Im in MS now trying to sell our house to move to Casper. I moved family in July and they love it there.On the trip out when I moved them we toured the Big Horn country and stopped in Buffalo on our way to do some hiking in Big Horns. I can tell you its a really cool town. Small. quaint, and beautiful right at base of Big Horns. Don't know much about the details of the town as far as living goes but I sur like d it there. Great little outdoor store there with great selection of gear for outings. Easy acess to beautiful mtns. Id love to live there.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:23 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,769 times
Default Buffalo

Buffalo is a beautiful town. Right at the base of the Bighorns. Hilly, most of Wy has wind. There's not much there for bigger stores but Sheridan and Gillette aren't too far. Some years we do not have 4 seasons sometimes we do. It's 74 (SE corner) degrees now and sunny. Supposed to be cold this weekend. If you don't like the weather - just wait a while and it will change.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Thanks for info on Buffalo

I really appreciate you'all getting back to so quickly! I know I want to move out West and if the job comes through, I will be one happy camper! Also, do you guys know about the rental situation - apartments, houses for rent, etc.? Judging by the other posts, WY has alot of people moving in and not quite enough housing to handle it all. Are the real estate people helpful with rentals or is it word of mouth and the local newspapers? Thanks!!!

Old 09-15-2006, 09:17 PM
MHT

Default Buffalo

Check the newspaper and real estate offices for rental management. In my town most of the real estate offices keep a list of available rentals.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:43 PM

Thanks again for the good info - I'll check out the real estate!!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:37 PM

46 posts, read 214,228 times
We almost moved there in 1998 but I was out voted. I thought it was a great little town but there wasn't much to do except fish & hunt but she doesn't do that. We also drove up to Story and liked that even better (scenic wise) until a local told us about their water quality problem caused by too many septic tanks. Drove up to Sheridan too but it wasn't all that "attractive" and because of the coal,oil,gas,etc any place in that area is a lot more expensive than it was in '98 (well, duh!). Also, at that time we went to the Buffalo real estate office to see what they had for sale and he didn't want to show us anything, just pointed which direction one listing was. Since we were living in SoCa at the time, I think that had something to do with the cold shoulder treatment by the realtor and he was the owner!
But maybe it has changed and you can find a wonderful home there but visit first and check it out.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:03 PM
MHT

Default buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine View Post
We almost moved there in 1998 but I was out voted. I thought it was a great little town but there wasn't much to do except fish & hunt but she doesn't do that. We also drove up to Story and liked that even better (scenic wise) until a local told us about their water quality problem caused by too many septic tanks. Drove up to Sheridan too but it wasn't all that "attractive" and because of the coal,oil,gas,etc any place in that area is a lot more expensive than it was in '98 (well, duh!). Also, at that time we went to the Buffalo real estate office to see what they had for sale and he didn't want to show us anything, just pointed which direction one listing was. Since we were living in SoCa at the time, I think that had something to do with the cold shoulder treatment by the realtor and he was the owner!
But maybe it has changed and you can find a wonderful home there but visit first and check it out.
Don't assume that all the real estate people in Buffalo are like the one mentioned above. Some are great some aren't. Buffalo, Story, Sheridan are all beautiful but they are expensive. Not only because of the oil/gas but also the beauty. There is quite a bit to do there if you like the outdoors, but the biggest city nearby is Billings.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:54 AM

13 posts, read 122,460 times
Buffalo is a pretty small town with a nice Main St. Unlike a lot of western towns, the town is hilly, which gives it character and interesting lot layouts. In town, the wind is not likely to be a major factor since there are hills and trees- not like the open prairie. Most of WY has fantastically sunny winters, and the cold is not that severe- or if severe, is not that prolonged.

There are lots of BLM or interagency jobs there now if you are willing to work on oil and gas leasing.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:16 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
I lived in wyoming from1974 until 2005 in nine different towns. I was in the oil and gas industry. You have to want to live there, it's not the ideal place for alot of people. Buffalo is one of the quainter places to live I can't believe snapper says the winter insn't severe. I have seen towns snowbound for days and weeks. I have seen the temprature stay below zero for weeks to months. I have seen the wind sent the chill factor to below minus 60 and stay there for days. The lonelyness will send some poeple to the edge. The clanishness towards out of staters can lead to a different life. It can take years to be accepted. As bad as this sounds I will be moveing back in five or six years. To retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming