Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:46 PM

15 posts, read 27,023 times

Advertisements

sunspirit, thats exactly what i dont want. If you live on the South of Casper is it a completely different area?
also, do north casper and south casper kids go to school together?

My husband and I are in love with WY and have been for quite a while, but we seem to be more drawn to N and NW WY. but im in no way moving there without a job, so casper would be our only option for now in WY..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:34 PM

3,632 posts, read 3,751,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offandaway View Post
sunspirit, thats exactly what i dont want. If you live on the South of Casper is it a completely different area?
also, do north casper and south casper kids go to school together?

My husband and I are in love with WY and have been for quite a while, but we seem to be more drawn to N and NW WY. but im in no way moving there without a job, so casper would be our only option for now in WY..
I lived in Casper for 6 years. I agree with what sunspirit said.

Yes, the south portion of Casper is different. North Casper is generally considered everything north of I-25. I will note that Casper is the first town that I had a knife pulled on me (and my children). It was by an adult male. And I must add that I traveled eastern race tracks my junior and senior years of high school and into my early twenties. I am not completely unfamiliar with urban areas. They could be rough, but the park in N. Casper was openly crummy.

Kids do attend some schools together. Especially in Jr. and Sr. High School.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:06 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,946,878 times
offandaway ....

take a look at a map of the Casper area, and you'll see that it's not strictly "Casper", but a series of incorporated town areas along the river. So it's relatively easy to be in "Casper" but in nicer areas without a big commute into town proper.

Much depends upon your budget and taste in houses due to a very wide selection of areas.

You'll be able to see the difference just by driving through the areas in comparison to the image of the north side.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 PM

Any take on the towns near casper such as Glenrock, Allendale, Red Butte, Meadow Acres, and near Casper Mt?
All commutable? All decent to live in?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:47 PM

3,632 posts, read 3,751,908 times
I'm familiar with Glenrock, Red Butte, and Meadow Acres. I like all of them.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,358,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offandaway View Post
I currently reside in the East and my company is closing their offices in the east. My husband and I have a pick of 4 places to relocate:

1. Casper, Wy
2. Bozeman, MT
3. CDA, ID
4. Idaho Falls, ID

A little background:
We will rent where ever we choose at first to make sure its a good fit for us, so i dont care about housing yet.
I am willing to commute up to an hour
We both love outdoors, hiking, camping ect
The cold does not bother us
Husband hates constant rain (unsure if CDA would have that due to the proximity to WA?)
Eastern Washington doesn't rain like it does in Seattle, not even close!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM

My choice would be CdA, Bozeman second. North Idaho is great! Of all the areas you mentioned, it has the most outdoor recreation IMHO since I fish more than hunt. Also closer to the coast. It rains and snows, but doesn't have the wind you'll get in Wyoming.

Idaho Falls is okay, but I'd rather be in CdA. THere are several smaller towns north and east of there, and you can get your twently acres pretty cheaply right now. In fact, real estate has taken a serious plunge there and good deals abound.

Bozeman is nice, but I'm thinking the land my cost you a bit more, and getting it at a good price close to town might be difficult. Something to think about as gas prices climb, and winter commute could get brutal.

CdA has awesome lakes nearby, and if you can move to the Washington side of the river, you won't pay state income tax.

Full disclosure: I used to vacation in CdA, always wanted to move there but haven't been lucky enough... sounds like you are. I'll hopefully be retiring there.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 PM

BTW commutable towns to CdA would be Sagle, Rathdrum, Athol, Spirit Lake, etc. Planty of choices, plenty of open spaces.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 PM

Thanks! Ill look into those!

This obviously isn't my decision maker but my husbands a big hunter, where would you say has the best hunting? Is there much if any waterfowl hunting out there?)

Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 PM

Wyoming has good upland game. Waterfowl... well, you gotta have water and North Idaho has more lakes than anywhere else in the west. Elk, deer, and moose too. If he likes fishing for better than trout, ID would be closer to the ocean and he can also hit up the Snake river for some of the larger freshwater fishing in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming