U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2012, 11:56 AM

7 posts, read 8,408 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My 9 yr old son has a newfound obsession he and I discovered this winter. Skiing. I am considering a move to the Jackson area so we can be in the mecca of winter sports in order to continue on this. I work in the construction industry and the company I work for has a sister company in Jackson that I can put in a request to transfer to.

I know Jackson is extremely expensive to live in but it appears to me that just across the border in Idaho, real estate is a little more realistic and mapquest shows the commute to be 25 or so miles. So my question is this: I assume the 25 miles is over a mountain pass and was wondering how well maintained is the road in the winter and what is the commute like? Is it frequently closed during storms?

I've lived in Northern Wyoming all of my adult life so I'm accustomed to winter driving conditions, was just wondering if that pass is going to be a major hindrance and out of the question to live in Idaho and work in Jackson.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,147,321 times
the skiing is just as good on the Idaho side but it still in Wyoming. the pass it a good climb, the hiway department dose a good job plowing , it will get shut down during avalange control , speedlimits along the way are 45 to 30 and sometimes of the year alot of traffic so not a really quick commute.
Think there a bus that run back and forth every day there one that goes to Alpine and Etna , some jobs work around the bus schedual

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 AM

2,187 posts, read 4,218,679 times
lots of people commute over Teton Pass but I had no interest doing it. The START bus system does go over the pass to Victor/Driggs, could be an option.
http://www.startbus.com

When I lived in Jackson, living in Victor/Driggs was pretty cheap by comparison. It's still less but not as cheap as it was before their growth. As Jody said during heavy snow the pass can close so your SOL unless you drive around, lots of extra miles and the Snake River Canyon can be dicey as well. Personally I would live in JH if that is where your work would be.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 04-08-2012 at 01:09 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 8,408 times
Thank you for the replies.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 PM

20 posts, read 33,559 times
Well, I love Jackson too. Look at those housing prices, though. Many of the properties I see Zillow aren't really vacation homes, they look like (nicer) homes for average folk. People with jobs, you know. So, who is living there and what do they do for a living? Last week we were passing through Jackson on vacation and we stopped for a few hours at a nice city park. There was a group of moms with preschool kids having a picnic. Not on vacation; these are normal folks. I love heavy winters and would thrive in Jackson, but what to do for a living??

Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 AM

2,187 posts, read 4,218,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudShan View Post
Well, I love Jackson too. Look at those housing prices, though. Many of the properties I see Zillow aren't really vacation homes, they look like (nicer) homes for average folk. People with jobs, you know. So, who is living there and what do they do for a living? Last week we were passing through Jackson on vacation and we stopped for a few hours at a nice city park. There was a group of moms with preschool kids having a picnic. Not on vacation; these are normal folks. I love heavy winters and would thrive in Jackson, but what to do for a living??
They do the same things that people do everywhere else. As you might expect lots of service(tourist related) jobs, most are seasonal. Several fed emplyees who work for the Forest Service(Dept of Ag) or Grand Teton Nat Park(Dept of Interior). If you think the prices of homes are expensive now, they were much higher before the recession.

Was it Miller Park where you were at? The Community Childrens Project(large non-profit day care) is across the street. It had 110 kids when I was the Exec. Dir for a year, in 1981, replacing the ED who went on maternity leave.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 07-25-2012 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming