U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,504 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My wife and I are looking to move to Cody. Or an area that is just quite with great views of the mountains. I'm a truck driver. I prefer local jobs than OTR (the Wife!) We've been to Yellowstone and stayed at a hotel (maybe the Days Inn) And when we got up in the morning and walked outside my wife almost cried. The mountains view was nice! Even at Walmart you can see them. This was 4 years ago. And she won't keep quite about moving there. So here I am... We are looking to rent a home and may even buy (in a couple of years). We have 1 child that loves places like Chucky Cheese, football, Wrestling, etc., My wife is in the Rehab field (PTA). I know Cheyenne, Wyoming has of Industry for Truck Driving. But it's too far away from the views for my wife. And every man knows, that a women scorn is well...
I want to make my wife happy!

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by The Yeti; 09-14-2007 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 07:28 PM

17,952 posts, read 22,758,496 times
You might try this website for local jobs driving.

https://www.wyomingatwork.com/

Then break out your map and see what all towns have great views.

Sheridan has been running an add for a driver to run to Montana every day and pick up a set of doubles and bring them to Sheridan. 6-7 hours round trip. Be home every night. And the wife can have her fix on mountains.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 PM

Good looking out! I just check the area and even my wife can find a job. But I just read that it's hard to rent a home? And what's there to do for a young boy?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 PM

17,952 posts, read 22,758,496 times
Yes, homes are hard to come by. I've helped about a half dozen people off this board to find homes. The problem is, a lot of them list rentals with realitors instead of the paper. Not sure exactly why. But there are apartments, homes, rural setups, available in the area.

The schools are some of the best in the nation.

Kid's activities? Football, baseball, soccer, rodeo, pole bending, all kinds of equine sports. But most importantly, there's a creek or two running through town, several ponds, so there's fishing, frogging, and just getting muddy.

Wonderful fair grounds in town with FFA and 4H and all kinds of activities going on. Great YMCA in town.

We don't have a maul. What we have is a "Downtown" that's as safe as anywhere you've ever seen. All of the local mom and pop stores are in a 4 block range where you can walk from shop to shop on both sides of the street.

Hunting and fishing is prevelent in this area. You'll be hard pressed to find somebody that doesn't have deer, antelope, elk, or moose in their freezer.

Great camping areas around town. Then, venture up into the Big Horn Mountains. Lots of camping there. Fishing and hunting. There's lodges all over the place. Sky resort. They've got miles and miles of groomed snowmobile trail. Big thing on weekends during the winter is the snowmobile runs. The groomed trails run from one lodge to the next to the next to the next.

4 wheeler trailes all over the mountains. Can ride all day and get back to camp and never see the same patch of trail twice unless you count the last 50 feet into camp. haha

Believe me, there is plenty to do for kids here.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Yes, homes are hard to come by. I've helped about a half dozen people off this board to find homes. The problem is, a lot of them list rentals with Realtors instead of the paper. Not sure exactly why. But there are apartments, homes, rural setups, available in the area.

I hope that when we are ready there will still be some homes for rent! Looking to take a trip around November so I'll check it all out then. So when spring comes we'll be ready.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:00 PM

719 posts, read 2,046,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
I hope that when we are ready there will still be some homes for rent! Looking to take a trip around November so I'll check it all out then. So when spring comes we'll be ready.
Let us all know what you find out. We are also contemplating the Cody, or Sheridan/Buffalo areas. Hoping to make a trip around xmas/New Years.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:41 PM

33 posts, read 100,658 times
Default Some more help

We've been living in Cody for a month now, and things are going very well.

Things that helped our family move here were the local paper which is the codyenterprise.com, a web site called greatschools.com, wyomingatwork.com which was mentioned earlier, talking to a local realtor who sent us a local phone book which was a great help. Visiting the area also helped. This was not an easy or hasty decision it took us almost a year to narrow it down to Cody, and we're all very happy with our choice. The schools are great and the kids love them, if you can't find what you need here ( walmart, kmart, albertsons, all sorts of fast food, and local restaurants, hardware, and other stores ) you will find it up in Billings, Mt

Then theres all the things to see, Beartooth pass, Yellowstone Park, Dead India Pass, Sun Light Basin, The Tetons, The Big Horns, and on and on.

I'm also a truck driver, and I found work driving for a local concrete Co. I don't make in an hour what I made back east, but I'll probably make the same if not more in a year since there's no shortage of work. Theres also a local freight company called north park transportation.

The house we are renting, and it turned out to be a really nice house, we found in the news paper. We asked the realtor we were talking to, to check it out for us, and she took pictures of it and e-mailed them to us which was also a great help.

In short it took some work, and lots of research, and phone calls but it was worth it.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:08 PM

Sorry it took so long to respond, changing jobs! Thanks for the info. My wife and I had been to Yellowstone And we stayed a night in Cody. They have a nice pizza place on the corner somewhere, if my memory serves me right it had like a Hawaiian theme. And we have been to Walmart. So we Know some about that area. I read somewhere that there is a big Meth problem out there? The concrete co. you work for.. what is an average per week a driver can make? This Realtor you know do you think she can help me and my family?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 AM

33 posts, read 100,658 times
Default Answers on Cody

Sorry its taken so long to answer, but its been a busy month and a half. As far as pay goes for driving for the 2 local concrete companies you can figure $500 to $800 a week, but that depends on how many hours you put in. I currently put in between 50 to 55 hours a week. As far as the meth problem, I've yet to see any signs of it, I've asked my daughter what she see's at the high school, and it does'nt sound like anything out of control, some kids smoking pot from what she tells me, which I talk to her about. As far as the realtor goes if you call any of the local realtors, and ask questions on relocating I'm sure they can help. If not I'll see what I can do.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:24 PM

22 posts, read 55,781 times
Cody is a nice town, although it is experiencing lots of growth, most of it from people who can no longer afford Jackson Hole. This is a very conservative part of the country, but it is pretty and remote. My aunt and uncle have lived there 25 years and love it. [URL removed]

Last edited by suzco; 04-02-2008 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming