U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 AM

17 posts, read 45,113 times
Default What is living in Wyoming like?

I have visited Wyoming before and I think the scenery is beautiful, but I would like to know what life there is like. I want to move in a few years and I'm just exploring my options right now.
So what are the pros and cons of life in Wyoming?
Is it a good place to raise a family?
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,869,935 times
Happy that you have enjoyed your visits to the great state of Wyoming! Have you gone through all of the Wyoming posts? I think a lot of the information you are asking for has been posted in gads of posts. I would suggest that you look through them all, then write down specific questions about specific areas of the state. There are some very different aspects to different parts of the state. Once you go through the posts I am sure you will feel that you've learned a lot about the state. This forum is great for that!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM

674 posts, read 878,855 times
there are no cons to living here, just pros

Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 AM

82 posts, read 113,536 times
"It's like eating a box of chocolates"

Some people will like what they bite into and some won't, but everyone will find something they like.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM

674 posts, read 878,855 times
come on in the water is good and fine

Old 04-19-2012, 04:01 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,034,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAllWhoWanderAreLost16 View Post
I have visited Wyoming before and I think the scenery is beautiful, but I would like to know what life there is like. I want to move in a few years and I'm just exploring my options right now.
So what are the pros and cons of life in Wyoming?
Is it a good place to raise a family?
Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Wyoming is my idea of paradise since it has a small population, long cold winters, and down to earth people. If that sounds like your cup of tea then you will enjoy it here. However, keep in mind that the scenery you saw (Was it Yellowstone or Grand Teton?) is not going to be beautiful in much of the state. Many areas are high desert and high plains. While I think those have a rugged beauty to them, it is not for everyone. This is a great place to raise a family, the schools are some of the best in the nation. If you have any other questions please ask.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 AM

448 posts, read 552,924 times
Thumbs up Spirit of Wyoming

Little story,

I often reminice on when my folks summer tripped out to Omaha, from Portland on family business at age 13 or so; my brother and I rode along. From the big red leather backseat of our '79 Oldsmobile. As we cruised, I'd look back in the seat and look at diesel smoke from the tailpipe and the skip lines race by. Anyway, I was enammored with all the wide open spaces; with our late night fuel stop in Little America, and travelling across the Continental Divide and rimrock type areas. The constant rail commerce along the trans-continental (I-80). Countin' & debating the number of rail cars best we could. My eyes were bugged at so much potential and unseen commerce from pretty stark counryside. It all seemed like energy to me.

We came back to Oregon through Black Hills area, don't know the exact route but we made Yellowstone area. Well before the '88 fires there, but the area whole was dreamy for me. Overnighted somewhere in the park, rented a boat on a "flat" Yellowstone Lake, at Bridge Bay, trolled and caught a few good Cuthroats. Fantastic weather, never got too hot at those elevations. Jumped back in our Olds, and down to Teton Village area along the Snake at some camping; saw a few river rafts and pondered what kind of adventure they were on.......majestic Teton Range looming.

Not much I can recall after all that loveliness.

So, all I know now after all my years still here in Oregon is that I adore the independence and solitude I'm sure I'd find in Wyoming, later years. What else can I say but go burn some fuel and check out parts of Wyomin'. Each town you roll through........adore it. Folks I meet out there are the greatest down to earth people mannnnnn!

And if you think that you desire what it's got to offer, learn alot more about it's climate's particularly, geography, cities, demographics, taxation, economy, industry and all else right here; You'll gain wisdom and insight. I sure have.

BTW, great the member name...........so true.

All the best.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:15 PM

2,259 posts, read 1,186,654 times
Another story...........

We first pulled into Cody in two pick up trucks heavily loaded down with everything we still owned after a really bad work experience in Alaska. We were mentally and physically exhausted and on the way home to Tennessee.

Neither of us had ever been to Wyoming before and wanted to see it, so we decided to make time for a visit. We pulled into Cody in early March, parked the trucks at the huge statue of the towns' namesake across from the hospital, climbed out of the trucks and just shook our heads.

The desert was completely foreign to us. There were no trees. Everything was beige. My husband looked at me and said "it looks like a moonscape". I looked at him and said "it looks like the Afghan-Pakistani border region".

We had already made arrangements to stay in an extended stay cottage for a few weeks, just so we could take some time to rest and regroup before continuing east.

Over the next few weeks we drove as close to the East Gate of Yellowstone as we could, explored the Shoshone National Forest, drove through the desert and walked on BLM land, began to find our way around town, watched and listened to the people, enjoyed the extraordinary amount of wildlife we came across, enjoyed the wide open and clean streets and the quiet of the place.

Within a few weeks we had found a small home to rent a few miles outside of Cody and really came to love the area. We fell in love with the quiet talking, easy smiling, rugged and unpretentious and conservative people. The deer who roamed so easily through town. The ruggedness of the land. The isolation of the town. The quiet highways. The proximity to Yellowstone and the Tetons. The abundant wildlife. The peace and the quiet.

We only stayed for six months because we had a house we were renting out in Tennessee. When our property manager started not doing her job and our tenants started not paying their rent we had to come back to sort it all out.

We thought that we would just easily jump back into our southern lives again, but my husband really wants to go back to Wyoming. My head is still spinning trying to weigh the pros and cons of packing up and moving again after being back in Tennessee for only seven months. But our stay in Wyoming was an extraordinary adventure.

Wyoming is not for everyone. Towns are small and isolated. Shopping and fancy restaurants have to be searched out. Weather can be extreme. Trees and green can be hard to find. I used to run on BLM land carrying a 357 because there was a mountain lion in the area. After I saw my first rattle snake on trail last summer I resolved not to run again on BLM land until the weather got cooler again (and the beasts had slithered back to wherever they slither too when it's cold).

But there is freedom and isolation and ruggedness and nature everywhere you look in Wyoming, and when you stand on top of the mountains on a clear day you really can see forever.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:24 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,869,935 times
Love the photo, Juneau! Now that is a true depiction of the beauty in parts of our great state!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 PM

2,259 posts, read 1,186,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
Love the photo, Juneau! Now that is a true depiction of the beauty in parts of our great state!
Thanks Georgia. Taken up on Rattlesnake Mountain just outside of Cody last August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming