Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 12,708 times

Advertisements

I've browsed all the threads I could find on Green River / Rock Springs but didn't know which one to bump and figured I'd just make a new one. I apologize in advance for the length, but hoping to get some good info.

We are investigating the possibility of a move from central British Columbia down to the Green River area. We've got two boys (4 & 6) and currently live on 5 acres in fairly heavily forested woods. As a family we enjoy cross country skiing in the winter and kayaking in the summer. The boys love playing soccer and I'm a biking addict (road and mountain biking). From what I've found it looks like all these activities can be enjoyed in Green River.

Looking at the data I don't think winter will be much of an adjustment for us; less snow and comparable temperatures. Although I'm guessing the wind might make it feel colder than up here (who woulda thunk?). We are going to miss lush green forests and green grass but just trying to get a handle on how good a fit this move might be for us.

We have no experience with US public schools, and the data (greatschools.org) for the Green River elementary schools was pretty lousy. I saw one school in Rock Springs was rated great, just wondering if someone can give me any insight into how schooling in the two towns may be different. Are private schools an option? I couldn't really find anything online.

Is there much in the way of activities for kids outside of school? Museums, clubs, sports?

In a perfect world we'd be looking to get another place on a few acres within 15 miles of town. Any chance of getting something like that near a source of water that allows for some nice foliage, or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh yeah...
Is 5 hours from GR to Denver reasonable? I'm a lifelong Broncos fan and wouldn't mind catching the odd game.
Is 2.5 hours from GR to Salt Lake also reasonable? I'm a small town boy but my wife will probably want to visit the city a little more than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 AM

164 posts, read 328,196 times
Not sure if 5 hours to Denver is possible? But SLC from Green River is easy 2-2.5 hour trip. As far as forest areas not much in the area your looking in! Also Rock Springs really don't have many things for kids to do. It is more of an adult place alot of the residents are people working at the power plant/coal mine or the many oil rigs in the area. You might want to check out Evanston, WY Heber, UT or Vernal, UT both those cities have everything you are looking for?

Last edited by Johnson15; 04-24-2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: added Evanston to the list

Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM

10,263 posts, read 13,778,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRE View Post
I've browsed all the threads I could find on Green River / Rock Springs but didn't know which one to bump and figured I'd just make a new one. I apologize in advance for the length, but hoping to get some good info.

We are investigating the possibility of a move from central British Columbia down to the Green River area. We've got two boys (4 & 6) and currently live on 5 acres in fairly heavily forested woods. As a family we enjoy cross country skiing in the winter and kayaking in the summer. The boys love playing soccer and I'm a biking addict (road and mountain biking). From what I've found it looks like all these activities can be enjoyed in Green River.

Looking at the data I don't think winter will be much of an adjustment for us; less snow and comparable temperatures. Although I'm guessing the wind might make it feel colder than up here (who woulda thunk?). We are going to miss lush green forests and green grass but just trying to get a handle on how good a fit this move might be for us.

We have no experience with US public schools, and the data (greatschools.org) for the Green River elementary schools was pretty lousy. I saw one school in Rock Springs was rated great, just wondering if someone can give me any insight into how schooling in the two towns may be different. Are private schools an option? I couldn't really find anything online.

Is there much in the way of activities for kids outside of school? Museums, clubs, sports?

In a perfect world we'd be looking to get another place on a few acres within 15 miles of town. Any chance of getting something like that near a source of water that allows for some nice foliage, or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh yeah...
Is 5 hours from GR to Denver reasonable? I'm a lifelong Broncos fan and wouldn't mind catching the odd game.
Is 2.5 hours from GR to Salt Lake also reasonable? I'm a small town boy but my wife will probably want to visit the city a little more than me.
If you are used to lush forest this will be a shock. Green River is in high desert. There are plenty of places to ride mountain bikes and you have the Green River and the Flaming Gorge for waters sports. As far as private schools the only one in the area is a Catholic school in Rock Springs. There isn't much for kids to do. No museums but there are sports and clubs. As far as obtaining land, there is not much as most of the land is Bureau of Land Management and not for sale. Anything near water with foliage is also practically unobtainable.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson15 View Post
Not sure if 5 hours to Denver is possible? But SLC from Green River is easy 2-2.5 hour trip. As far as forest areas not much in the area your looking in! Also Rock Springs really don't have many things for kids to do. It is more of an adult place alot of the residents are people working at the power plant/coal mine or the many oil rigs in the area. You might want to check out Evanston, WY Heber, UT or Vernal, UT both those cities have everything you are looking for?
We're locked into the Green River and surrounding area because of a job. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
As far as obtaining land, there is not much as most of the land is Bureau of Land Management and not for sale. Anything near water with foliage is also practically unobtainable.
Dang. We should be going down for a visit in a couple of weeks so we can check out the situation firsthand. Thanks.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 AM

52 posts, read 87,681 times
Isn't Green River famous for it's Dinosaur deposits?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM

400 posts, read 946,279 times
My mom pushing the speed limit can make it from Denver to Rock Springs in 5 1/2. RS to SLC takes 2 1/2, so figure on 3 by the time you get to where you're going in SLC(this is driving the speed limit, which drops to 70 and then 65 and lower after you hit Utah)

The school rated great is Walnut Elementary, it is a great school. My daughter has done very well there. I don't think there's much of a difference between the schools in GR and RS. When a friend of ours got to enrolling for College courses and things she had a big struggle with some of the math expectations and she attended high school in GR. What you will find is that GR folks are very biased against RS folks but not so much the other way it around, it's kind of comical.

The plus to living in RS is not having to drive to get to everything, there isn't much in GR for shopping other than Smiths grocery store and Pamida.

I've lived in both and while GR is nice because it's more of a bedroom community it wasn't worth the inconvenience for me.

You won't find a sweet little spot with foliage by water 15 miles out of either town, sorry.
That just doesn't exist here. I was shocked when we got here and went down to the lake the first time(Flaming Gorge Reservoir) as there are no trees around it! At least not what I call a tree. This area is part of the Red Desert and it is barren bluffs and flat spots. It takes on its own beauty but it isn't the greatest. A lot of people have boats to enjoy the lake and four wheelers and dirt bikes and things to enjoy the hills and sand dunes.

I would come and visit before deciding to move here, it's quite a shock for people who live in Wyoming to move here let alone coming from such a different area in Canada. It's safe to say 75% of the people that live here would love to move and mention it often. It's not an easy place to live and it has a way of sucking you in.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:04 PM

baron_rogers yes it is

Old 05-02-2012, 02:26 PM

Thanks very much for the info Wyomama; that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Looking forward to our visit in a couple of weeks to check it out in person.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 PM

If you have any questions after you visit feel free to message me, we've lived here for 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming