Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:05 PM

5 posts, read 25,417 times

Advertisements

In 1949, my great grandparents, Don and Nita Bailey took a road trip from Moline, Illinois to Shasta, California and I have their photo album. There are photos taken of a "cattle branding" that took place at "Turtle Ranch in Wheatland, Wyoming" and the people in the photos are identified as:
Donald, Eley, Jane, Tim & Allie. Donald and Eley might be the ranch owners (possibly in their 40's at the time), Jane appears to be 13-23, and Tim is a young "cowboy" about 4-5 years old. There's also a photo of "Falling Rock".

I'm just curious if Turtle Ranch still exists and if the people identified are still in Wheatland. If so, perhaps we're related! I'd be glad to mail copies of the photos to Jane and Tim if they're still around

Thanks in advance for any information.
Sandi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 10:26 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,588,506 times
I just checked the 2006/2007 Platte County phone directory that I have here, as well as the internet, and could not find anything about "Turtle Ranch." As for the names mentioned, it is difficult to find anything without a last name, though someone on this forum could possibly know these folks. Wheatland isn't really that big, after all, since it only has about 3500 people in it.

Good luck in your search.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Although I've never lived in Wheatland, my ex-inlaws do. I remember old Mac talking about the turtle ranch. I'll try and find out info, but being ex-inlaws it may take a bit. haha Still friendly with the ex-wife, but she's not real fond of her father. haha I'll see what I can do.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks for your replies!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,066 times
Are you sure it was the Turtle Ranch in Wheatland? I have a house there and am the 5th generation son from nearby Torrington. I live in Dubois, WY now and know for a fact that there is a Turtle Ranch here. Dubios is located about 75 miles west of Riverton and 80 miles east of Jackson on Hwy 26. Could they have traveled through Yellowstone or Teton National Park on their way to California? If so, this would be the route they may have taken...
Good luck.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:35 PM

Smile Turtle Ranch in Dubois...

Actually, I'm not sure that Turtle Ranch was in Wheatland. That caption was handwritten by my great grandpa. The photo shows the "Turtle Ranch" entry sign and yes, they did travel to Yellowstone on their trip.

That's great information Monarch8x8! Thanks.

I'll research Turtle Ranch in Dubois next...!

Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,106 times
Default Turtle Ranch, Wheatland, WY

There was definitely a Turtle Back Ranch about 18 mi west and 11 mi north of Wheatland, WY in 1927. I am a reference librarian doing research for another family with pictures at a branding in 1927. I have found the owner at that time was Homer Hoffman; purchased in the early 1900's. I am still researching but would be glad to share any further information if it is of interest to you.

Good luck on your search~

Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 PM

Wow! That's great news, BSpahn
My great grandmother's parents were Hoffman's. I believe her father was named Levi Hoffman. I'll have to confirm with my Mom who has all the photos and my grandmother's Birth Certificate. I'd be happy to share the info and the photos. How do we get in touch? Is it okay to just list my email in this reply? Guess I'll find out!
sandi@glds.com

Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,402 times
Default Hoffman

I am married to a Homer Hoffman. We live in Oklahoma but he told me his dad went to Wyoming and lived there for several years before he passeed away. His name was Dick Hoffman and was married to Margaret. There are four sisters, Ruth, Mata, Cheryl and Kathy.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Smile Reply re: Homer Hoffman

Thanks for the info. I checked all of our 'Hoffman/WY' records and don't find anything about the names you mention. bspahn82604 was able to link our Homer Hoffman to Julia Butler Hoffman and provided me with a lot of interesting info about the family. You might try posting a query to that User Name - bspahn82604. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Hoffman View Post
I am married to a Homer Hoffman. We live in Oklahoma but he told me his dad went to Wyoming and lived there for several years before he passeed away. His name was Dick Hoffman and was married to Margaret. There are four sisters, Ruth, Mata, Cheryl and Kathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming