Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 AM

24 posts, read 55,388 times

Advertisements

Im just curious what people can say thats positive and stay on that track. Also wondering what brought some of you here and maybe what keeps you here considering how bad some make it sound. Maybe if your comfortable you can share your employment type and so on.

Last edited by soloclick; 07-09-2012 at 04:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:46 AM

3,638 posts, read 3,761,486 times
I like cows, horses, gumbo dirt, unobstructed views and other than wind - silence.

I work three jobs to be here. Have two bachelor's degrees and a relatively great main job. The other two fill the gaps.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 AM

3,640 posts, read 6,244,864 times
3rd Generation here, ancestor were like many early settlers that came to Wyoming they were not wanted else where, Mormons,Outlaws, royalty Black sheep from Eroupe, and olthers that just didn't fit in where they were at.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 AM

692 posts, read 1,702,971 times
Also 3rd generation native to Wyoming. Just had a short stint of 30 years away from home. GOD lead me and the wife here. I work in CBM and the wife a school teacher. I came home because I was done with the rat-race elsewhere. I will never again leave for any reason.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:13 AM

97 posts, read 183,281 times
Pretty sweet lookin' sunsets.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM

774 posts, read 2,576,213 times
What brought us here? We initially became interested because we were vacationing out here two or three times a year (at that point, it seemed cheaper to move!). It felt like home and I remember crying whenever we left because we loved it here so much and hated it where we were so much. We love the outdoors, the space, and the general culture. We love the excellent schools, low crime rate, and the fact that I'm not scared to death to walk around at night. Where we came from had one of the highest crime rates in the US and the highest murder rate. In general, we just love the quality of life here. I love being able to go into Yellowstone several times a week and it makes me happy to see mule deer and bunnies in my yard every morning. I like that I'm getting better quality public schools than I had when we were paying $8,000 a year for private school tuition.

As for employment - I'm in wildlife and nature photography, so obviously being just outside of Yellowstone is ideal for that. Memphis wasn't particularly a good fit for that! My husband in healthcare information technology. He worked in a huge hospital system for 20 years and he was gone more than he was home. Now, we have time together as a family because his job isn't as hectic as it was there.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:35 PM

632 posts, read 1,513,312 times
My husband brought me here, but quality of life and good employment has kept us here. Hubby worked for UPRR and I am a school teacher. I am originally from CO and am so glad I am able to raise my kids in WY. Friendly people, for the most part, beautiful landscapes, weather very similar to where I grew up in CO, proximity to Black Hills and CO Front Range.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM

24 posts, read 55,388 times
I came here because me and my husband decided it is what was best for our family. At first I did not adjust well and not because of the terain but because I missed sunday dinners with my parents and my family I left behind ( I know Im a baby). I was raised on the values of family so I eventually realized Im I am doing the right thing for my home. What I like about Wyoming is of course the sunsets. I like that my kids can play sports without it costing an arm and a leg. I also like knowing they are safe to go to the park without me checking on them every second. I enjoy the outdoors and going camping and not being bombarded by others. I love it when Im watering my lawn and a group of antelope go right by me. When I call the school they know just who I am and who my kids are. I LoVe the quite and people not at your door trying to sell stuff. To me Ive grown to love the terain be it the plains or the hills.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:57 PM

10,285 posts, read 13,805,255 times
The wages are good, the people are good (and there are few of them), and the outdoor activities are plentiful. What's not to like?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:17 PM

6,252 posts, read 5,044,396 times
Moved here for all the reasons mentioned above - wildlife, quiet, mountains, Yellowstone, good people, safe community, quality of life, sunsets, lack of interest in shopping, quiet (worthy of saying twice).

My husband and I were here last year but had to go back to Tennessee to deal with dead-beat renters in our house. We thought we would just pick up our Tennessee life and lifestyle again. Too humid, too noisy, too fast, too many career welfare folks and wanna-be gang bangers, far far far too many people.

When we first blew into town in early March of last year my husband and I just looked at each other and shook our heads. No trees and the entire world looked beige. I told my husband the terrain looked like the Afghan-Pakistani border region. It did. And most of the year it does. But there's a beauty to it that I have learned to love. And Shoshone National Forest and Yellowstone is right here.

I sat on my porch yesterday watching two adult whooping cranes walking in the field next door with two tiny baby whooping cranes. Later in the day I saw three deer in the same field. And late in the evening yesterday I used a bow for the first time - I can actually hit a hay bale.

Do for a living? My husband is a retired cop and I used to work in city government but am putting plans together to start a business.

The only thing I regret is that property (both homes and land) is pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming