Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:31 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times

Advertisements

I used to love the Crispy Burritos at Taco Time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 AM

68 posts, read 207,717 times
Thank you all so much for "keeping it real." I trust you're not just trying to keep the Californians out.

We would absolutely visit at a few different times a year before we decided to make a move. Maybe I am just so sick of the CA rat race that the total opposite draws me but what I really need is more of a happy medium? I don't know. I need a slower pace and someplace where some actual peace and quiet is attainable.

I am totally a person who researches something to death so I would never just up and move to Wyoming. But I have been thinking about it and looking into it for a while now. I have needed some real people who actually live there to help me see it for what it really is.

Sunsprit, I do think I would miss the ocean but my heart lives in the mountains. Some of the things you mention giving up do give me pause, I admit; many of them I could easily leave behind.

BTW, got a huge kick out of the WyoDisney comment as I live pretty close to Disneyland and it gave me a great word picture.

I'm going to keep researching the area and expand my search to other places that might give me that slower pace without giving up quite as much.

Thank you all for your time and honesty!

Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinginOC View Post
I trust you're not just trying to keep the Californians out.
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

I've known some great folks from California. There are several in my area whom I'm very happy to know. They came here to escape what California has become just as I once left Illinois and later Colorado, the latter with great sorrow, because of what they had become. I've met people from New York and Georgia and Massachusetts and Canada; they all came to escape. But they were all Wyomingites; they just needed to realize the fact. You see, you don't become a Wyomingite; you're born one regardless of your place of birth. Our spiritual ancestors crossed oceans and plains seeking a home. We do the same today albeit with much less effort. Being a Wyomingite isn't inherited. My great-grandparents left family and home when they left Ireland to come to America. But almost all of their descendants stayed in the big city where the old folks had settled. My great-grandparents were Wyomingites who just never got here. They came here with nothing but thirty years later they were able to send my grandmother, their youngest child, to college.

The people who come here and truly love it are responsible, industrious, and determined to find the best. Look at Sunsprit, a one-time Californian. He's an old man but he hits the trail every day looking to make a buck. He votes Republican and packs iron. He's a Wyomingite. Oh, lest you think I'm his sychophant let me assure you that he and I have had plenty of fights on this forum.

You'll love it here or hate it here depending upon what's inside of you, depending upon your values. If you'd like to learn more about us and our state I suggest you start looking at this newspaper. It's considered the statewide newspaper and will let you examine the good and the bad.

Casper Star-Tribune - trib.com - Wyoming News

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 08-11-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 12:37 PM

68 posts, read 207,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Awww...thanks Happy in Wyoming! So many areas are hostile towards CA transplants.

Thank you for the thoughtful post. I love your perspective and I will definitely take a look at the newspaper!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
Star Valley ranch has alot of Las Vages residents rthat summer here some moved here year round. Anothewr subdivision That I used to hay for the developer has alot of Truckee-Tahoe- Reno transplants... My Wife was a valley girl (sunnyvale) that grew up in Truckee.So not all Cal transplants are bad

Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinginOC View Post
Honestly, I'm tired of the SoCal life! So fast paced....
I think I've mentioned it before on this board, but I think it's funny. My late wife moved here from the edge of NYC in northern NJ. She absolutely loved it, everything about Wyoming... except the automatic doors. They never opened fast enough for her as she'd bounce into them, then they'd open. It's definitely a slower pace here.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM

138 posts, read 266,104 times
Star Valley (Alpine/Thayne) is probably our destination move later this year, from the mtns of central Washington. Been there several times, and love it.

We like it here in WA (only been here a year), but there are too many damn trees! (can't see anything half the time ) and we get horrible inversions all winter long that create weeks of low clouds/fog and air stagnation.

While I realize SV gets its fair share of cloudy days, it avg's about 60 more days of sunshine a year, and I suspect the valley is high enough that it doesn't get frequent inversions?

We also even get a little more snow here on avg then SV. Don't mind the snow so much. It's a few degrees colder on avg in SV than here, but not by that much...

Yeah, we lived in Socal for a while, too.. but in the mtns most of that time. The most dangerous thing about winter in the mountains of Socal was the people from LA driving up to play in the snow.

We are going to try and rent for a while.. then buy an existing house. Not really interested in buying land.

We are used to being somewhat isolated... our drive for groceries is usually 30-60 min. While we would never want to live IN a resort town again, we do enjoy some of the amenities and culture of places like Jackson... like a good dinner, so brewpubs... etc. So being within an hour is nice, but far enough away I think.

We are fairly liberal, but don't waive it around... and we are open in our views. I realize Wy is very conservative, and also the SV has a huge LDS contingent, but as long as it's not Utah secular, (which doesn't sound like it is) I'm not concerned about it. Some of the nicest people I've met have been Mormons.

So why am I telling all of this? I dunno... maybe just wanted to get some more dialogue about SV and Alipne/Thayne area... but also wanted to share some things so I people don't have ot warn me about the winters and not having the amenities at your doorstep.

I am doing some research, but does anyone know some sources for finding rentals in the valley? I see Remax does some, as well as Craigslist and the SV paper...

Thanks for any tips!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM

we get cold inversions this year there was 25 days it was below zero for a low and the high some days was below zero or it didn't get above +10 .
But Then Star Valley Ranch and the Bedford Area can be high enough they get above the inversion.
I know my Brother that works at Smokey Mountan Mine can leve his house at -20 and it will be in the mid 30 with snow melting at the mine.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post
I am doing some research, but does anyone know some sources for finding rentals in the valley? I see Remax does some, as well as Craigslist and the SV paper...

Thanks for any tips!
There are a couple free advertizing papers that come out a couple times amonth, but you need to be at a store , bar or gas station where they are set out. If you can find anything in the Star Valley Independent
contact the real estate comopanies that are in the paper. and rents and prices usually are cheaper in the upper valley Afton-smoot- osmond , then alpine -Thayne SV ranch in the lower valley. If you get here and want some great Fly Fishing give a call I give you my rules to fish on my place....

Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM

138 posts, read 266,104 times
Thanks for the info, Jody. We would like to try and stay within 1 hr of Jackson, if possible.. so anything south of Thanye is pushing it. I realize prices are a little higher there, but there seems to be even a decent dropoff between Alpine and Thayne, from what I'm seeing.

I'm not really that concerned with the temperatures of inversions, it's the low clouds and fog that get trapped beneath the inversion a few hundred feet above the ground that drives us mad here in WA. Does that occur often in the SV?

I'm a terrible fisherman.. but in my defense, I don't put alot of time into it. Largely because most of the rivers/streams around here in WA are closed/protected due to the salmon, so it's often alot of work to throw a line in somewhere. But I may take you up on that offer. Thank you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming