Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:19 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

In 2000, Sheridan was 15850 people. 10 years later it was right around 18000. Keep in mind that around 2006-2008, they opened thousands of Methane wells and Sheridan boomed as they opened several thousand wells in Sheridan, Johnson and Cambell Counties. The increase in population was "blue collar" more than it was anything else.

The Polo Ranch has been there since 1920's so is not new developement. There are no resorts in the Big Horn Mountains. There are 3 lodges that have been there for 40-50 years, again, not new development.

Sheridan has always been a retirement area. It was in 1972 when I first came here and it is today.

I'm not sure what you are refering to when you say you are not comfortable with all the new developement. Ask away, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.

Sheridan County has always been ranching and a horse community. The Eaton Ranch has had an annual horse drive that goes right through the middle of town, twice a year. When they bring horses to the Ranch at the base of the Big Horns in the Spring, and again when they drive the horses back to Winter range down my Arvada. 500 horses used to be driven both ways, but sadly, they're down to about 50 horses. That is much the same as a lot of ranches around here. It is mainly because of the advent of the "4 wheeler". hahahaha Cowboys used to wear out a couple horses a day moving beef around and now they can do the same thing with 3 gallons of gas in the 4 wheeler and the 4 wheeler doesn't require pasture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 06:35 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
my area 4 wheeler won't handle the river and deep spring creeks, the timber and the steep hill sides. they ok for irriggating, spraying weeds, and fixing fence.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 AM

38 posts, read 55,543 times
I spent 16 years in Greeley/Ft. Collins, Colorado and have spent almost ten in WY. Wyoming weather is nothing like Northern Colorado. WY winters can be brutal, a bitter wind chill often comes with the snow here, travel options are often limited by weather, and when it snows here it doesn't always melt the next day with sunshine like it often does in No. CO. The two climates in my opinion are not comparable.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
my area 4 wheeler won't handle the river and deep spring creeks, the timber and the steep hill sides. they ok for irriggating, spraying weeds, and fixing fence.
I don't know any ranchers working cattle on four-wheelers, either. But, regardless, the shift from agrarian based economy and culture is happening here as it is everywhere.

I'm involved in polo. Although there has been polo in the Big Horn area since the late 1800's, the face of it, too, is changing. The increased popularity of the area for summer polo has been good for that industry, but to say it is unchanged or nothing new is not accurate. The players and their staff are nice folks, but not western in the traditional sense.

I always half kidded that I was going to retire to Bill, WY in order to avoid any booms. But even that is having increased development lately.

Quote:
I think your fears that Sheridan could become another Jackson are unfounded. Sheridan, for all it's charms, isn't in an isolated valley with the rugged mountains surrounding, nor the ski area development.
I was having dinner with some summer residents last year when this subject came up. One of the men said, "It'll never happen. The people who have second homes in Jackson work for those of us who have summer places here." Okaaaay. I do appreciate that at least some of the places in this area are owned by people who don't need to subdivide in order to stay here. At least some of our uncluttered places aren't being ruined.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
- snip -

I'm involved in polo. Although there has been polo in the Big Horn area since the late 1800's, the face of it, too, is changing. The increased popularity of the area for summer polo has been good for that industry, but to say it is unchanged or nothing new is not accurate. The players and their staff are nice folks, but not western in the traditional sense.

- snip -.
I guess it depends on how long you have been around here. The polo ranch was a thriving industry 25 years ago and the owner, at that time, run it into the ground. The new owner, 2 years ag, decided to turn the Polo ranch back into what it was in the turn of the century and business has picked up, but it certainly has not returned to the business it was 25 years ago. The polo ranch is picking up in business and you are correct, those folks are not western.

4 wheelers? Take a look at Kane's place, 4 wheelers all over the place. Kuzuls raise horses, but they herd them with 4 wheelers. Padlock, 4 wheelers all over the place. A friend of mine bought 2 4 wheelers and went ahead an got rid of both of his hands and all but 2 of his horses. But then again, he's only about about 15,000 acres. Once again, if you look at what this area has done in the last few years, there is a great difference in the way things are done, but not what is being done. For the most part, the ranches are still ranches, fewer cattle for the last several years because of severe drought, but if the rains pick up and return to normal, you'll see them start running more beef.

If you check with the brand inspector, you'll find thousands of head of horses in Sheridan County, but a lot less than you did as little as 10 years ago. There are currently more hobby horses than there are cattle ranch horses.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:42 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
The Polo Ranch is not operating on a business model now. I am familiar with it. And I can't speak for the Padlock units near town, but the other units use horses. I think we would be comparing apples to oranges, you and I, if we talked outfits.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
The Polo Ranch is not operating on a business model now. I am familiar with it. And I can't speak for the Padlock units near town, but the other units use horses. I think we would be comparing apples to oranges, you and I, if we talked outfits.
I don't know what you would call a business model, I'm just relaying on what the owner told us last month when we chip sealed 5 miles of road on the Polo Ranch.

Do you get envolved with any of the brandings? I do and on most of the ranches you can tell they have really dropped the number of horses they had, but are still running horses, just not the numbers they were.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:30 PM

307 posts, read 981,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
In 2000, Sheridan was 15850 people. 10 years later it was right around 18000. Keep in mind that around 2006-2008, they opened thousands of Methane wells and Sheridan boomed as they opened several thousand wells in Sheridan, Johnson and Cambell Counties. The increase in population was "blue collar" more than it was anything else.

The Polo Ranch has been there since 1920's so is not new developement. There are no resorts in the Big Horn Mountains. There are 3 lodges that have been there for 40-50 years, again, not new development.

Sheridan has always been a retirement area. It was in 1972 when I first came here and it is today.

I'm not sure what you are refering to when you say you are not comfortable with all the new developement. Ask away, I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.

Sheridan County has always been ranching and a horse community. The Eaton Ranch has had an annual horse drive that goes right through the middle of town, twice a year. When they bring horses to the Ranch at the base of the Big Horns in the Spring, and again when they drive the horses back to Winter range down my Arvada. 500 horses used to be driven both ways, but sadly, they're down to about 50 horses. That is much the same as a lot of ranches around here. It is mainly because of the advent of the "4 wheeler". hahahaha Cowboys used to wear out a couple horses a day moving beef around and now they can do the same thing with 3 gallons of gas in the 4 wheeler and the 4 wheeler doesn't require pasture.
We are so unhappy with the lifestyle here in Colorado, namely Fort Collins, Boulder, Front Range etc. etc. that we simply don't want to make the same mistake twice and move to an area that is developing and changing from an agrarian-based culture with correlating values to a more urban, OR resort-like community, OR liberal-based philosophy, OR simply urban sprawl, with stretch marks scarring the land, life, values and culture. We want to move someplace with an authentic, country lifestyle.

Don't get me wrong, Sheridan was beautiful with a lovely Downtown, gorgeous scenery, parks with trails, a plentiful mountain range with seemingly unlimited resources, and beautiful historic neighborhoods with friendly locals...but so has most every POPULAR town/city on the Front Range in Colorado. I don't want to move to another POPULAR place that is heading in that direction now or will be in the near future. Surely you can understand the financial, emotional, and physical cost of moving to a new area/city, then having to relocate?

branDcalf resounded the fact that the area is changing. Like I said before, we want a community that is not progressive, and upwardly mobile...a traditional Wyoming and Western society and culture. We want a simple, country/agrarian life, that is in or near a town that has medical resources and some shopping. Its not always the size that indicates the culture, for instance the difference between Jackson or Laramie vs. Cheyenne and Bozeman-Billings. One would have to engage in cognitive dissonance to deny the cultural gulf between the opposing townships.

ElkHunter, I believe that the Sheridan area is equestrian/agrarian indeed with plenty of ranches, after all its Wyoming. However, again-stated my total concern is with progression into a differing society from its tradition in the coming years. When we walked the streets we were sad to see some of the Western Wear stores out of business and other stores that sell trendy-touristy "western" merchandise similar to the stores you would see in Estes Park, CO or other Colorado mountain towns, Jackson Hole, California "Old West Mining Towns" etc.... My family and I were slightly dissapointed in that. However, we dont know the history of the particular western/ranch outfitters that are out-of-business nor the ones that propose to be, that appeared to be trend/tourist stores instead. Maybe the Boot Barn or perhaps the Big R gets most of the bussiness? I simply don't know. What I do know, was dissapointment in SOME of the western wear/ranch stores, and the apparent closing of others, in the Downtown district. We like to support the locals: mom 'n' pop stores, and the little man. I am not expert on the history of Sheridan in any way nor do I claim to be. Just naming observations after a visit. Please provide exposition if any, on these concerns.

You stated that the polo course has been there for a long time. But branDcalf stated there seemed to be another type of culture influencing the changes in the area, rather than the ranching/equestrian/agrarian culture. Isn't Sheridan billed as the golf capitol of Wyoming or thus and such? While I have nothing against golf, as I am an athletic man, places like that just don't seem that "grass-roots" or "country". They give the appearance of a resort/tourist/retirement community, some place "hip" to visit or live. That is the impression based on experiences in CO and other Western states. We don't want to live anywhere "hip" or overly popular to ANY degree.

We simply want to make a wise, well-informed desicion. I am not wanting to start arguements or offend any locals whatsoever. I gratefully appreciate your posts as well as the others. I simply want all the honest, objective information I can get. Right now it seems perhaps, the Riverton/Lander area may fit better? However, we have not visited that area so I can't comment or give opinions. If anyone can provide relative info on that area it would be appreciated. If you can quell my concerns about Sheridan or confirm them, that would be equally appreciated.

As stated, we were greatly impressed with the area, and as also stated, around Colorado and other Western states, this GRAND ATTRACTION that folks have to certain areas can indicate a culture we won't feel comfortable in. This change has happened all over the West: Montana, Oregon, Washington, California, Arizona, Colorado etc. Places evolve or devolve (based on an individuals viewpoint) into less-than-traditional, true-to-the-west cultures. The phenomena of cultural globalization, urbanization and the wealth/trend-driven. I have heard it and witnessed it for years. You may argue that its not that way now in Sheridan. But to me, it seems that it shows the signs of being that way or driving towards that direction: downtown, art, the area attractions, growth and popularity status Sheridan has been receiving from sources.

Thanks for any and all help you and the others can provide.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 PM

307 posts, read 981,021 times
Quote:
I don't know any ranchers working cattle on four-wheelers, either. But, regardless, the shift from agrarian based economy and culture is happening here as it is everywhere.

I always half kidded that I was going to retire to Bill, WY in order to avoid any booms. But even that is having increased development lately.

I was having dinner with some summer residents last year when this subject came up. One of the men said, "It'll never happen. The people who have second homes in Jackson work for those of us who have summer places here." Okaaaay. I do appreciate that at least some of the places in this area are owned by people who don't need to subdivide in order to stay here. At least some of our uncluttered places aren't being ruined.
These are excellent points indeed!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
...we want a community that is not progressive, and upwardly mobile...a traditional Wyoming and Western society and culture. We want a simple, country/agrarian life, that is in or near a town that has medical resources and some shopping.
You want something that doesn't exist. The West has always been a dynamic place since the first settlers arrived. The ranches are still there but they're very different from what they were in the past. The biggest difference for you is that a ranch of any given size gets by with far fewer employees than it did a century ago.

You can find some very small places but there will be little or no shopping and certainly no medical facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
ElkHunter, I believe that the Sheridan area is equestrian/agrarian indeed with plenty of ranches, after all its Wyoming. However, again-stated my total concern is with progression into a differing society from its tradition in the coming years. When we walked the streets we were sad to see some of the Western Wear stores out of business and other stores that sell trendy-touristy "western" merchandise similar to the stores you would see in Estes Park, CO or other Colorado mountain towns, Jackson Hole, California "Old West Mining Towns" etc.... My family and I were slightly dissapointed in that. However, we dont know the history of the particular western/ranch outfitters that are out-of-business nor the ones that propose to be, that appeared to be trend/tourist stores instead. Maybe the Boot Barn or perhaps the Big R gets most of the bussiness? I simply don't know. What I do know, was dissapointment in SOME of the western wear/ranch stores, and the apparent closing of others, in the Downtown district. We like to support the locals: mom 'n' pop stores, and the little man. I am not expert on the history of Sheridan in any way nor do I claim to be. Just naming observations after a visit. Please provide exposition if any, on these concerns.

You stated that the polo course has been there for a long time. But branDcalf stated there seemed to be another type of culture influencing the changes in the area, rather than the ranching/equestrian/agrarian culture. Isn't Sheridan billed as the golf capitol of Wyoming or thus and such? While I have nothing against golf, as I am an athletic man, places like that just don't seem that "grass-roots" or "country". They give the appearance of a resort/tourist/retirement community, some place "hip" to visit or live. That is the impression based on experiences in CO and other Western states. We don't want to live anywhere "hip" or overly popular to ANY degree.

We simply want to make a wise, well-informed desicion. I am not wanting to start arguements or offend any locals whatsoever. I gratefully appreciate your posts as well as the others. I simply want all the honest, objective information I can get. Right now it seems perhaps, the Riverton/Lander area may fit better? However, we have not visited that area so I can't comment or give opinions. If anyone can provide relative info on that area it would be appreciated. If you can quell my concerns about Sheridan or confirm them, that would be equally appreciated.

As stated, we were greatly impressed with the area, and as also stated, around Colorado and other Western states, this GRAND ATTRACTION that folks have to certain areas can indicate a culture we won't feel comfortable in. This change has happened all over the West: Montana, Oregon, Washington, California, Arizona, Colorado etc. Places evolve or devolve (based on an individuals viewpoint) into less-than-traditional, true-to-the-west cultures. The phenomena of cultural globalization, urbanization and the wealth/trend-driven. I have heard it and witnessed it for years. You may argue that its not that way now in Sheridan. But to me, it seems that it shows the signs of being that way or driving towards that direction: downtown, art, the area attractions, growth and popularity status Sheridan has been receiving from sources.
This is today's Wyoming. People play golf and wear different clothes. But so what? Their values are the same as they ever were. We've always pushed for progress and our state is rated the most business-friendly in the country. Cowboy clothes have never been more than image. But speaking of values, you're making a lot of demands. How much money are you bringing?

You're far more likely to find the place that time passed by in eastern Colorado, western Kansas, or the Oklahoma Panhandle. But you'll give up the mall and the medical services. You'll give up the mall in Wyoming as well but I fear that we're not "country" enough for you.

How many times have you been in the mall in the last year? Would you really like it to drop to zero per year?

The people who move here and and stay like what they see and accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming