Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:03 PM

21 posts, read 89,781 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in Broward County, Florida, South Florida outside of Ft. Lauderdale and I work in Miami. I have been here 18 years. I am quite burned out with a whole lot of things, traffic, manners of the people, crime and on and on. I lived in the mountains in Maryland in the 1970's (hills to the western folks) and loved it. I love to hunt and fish and while I will surely miss the salt water and fresh water fishing in Florida, I hope the hunting will make it up. Last 18 years here as a federal agent. I will be retiring and want to consider Wyoming, Montana and maybe even South Dakota. Have a friend that was Miami-Dade Homicide and his wife a robbery detective who moved to Park County, WY. The are after me to come out and I intend to do so. They sent my some pictures last week and while the area they are in about 30 miles north of Cody, their area while very scenic, is too flat and barren for my wife and myself. I would like to know if and where there are some areas with a little more rolling hills, or preferably mountains with decent hunting. I would appreciate any help. Work not a consideration and I would like a decent piece of land, maybe a minimum of 25-50 acres. What areas have more variety with trees and hills? Thank you in advance for your help. WLA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 09:11 PM

56 posts, read 389,388 times
Jackson is beautiful but expensive and touristy. How about Pinedale? I've alway thought it was a pretty town driving through. Also Dubois, Alpine. Even Driggs or Tetonia Idaho (just across the border). Nice places with tons of fishing and outdoor rec.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:39 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,769 times
Default hills, trees, acreage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLeonardAthas View Post
I currently reside in Broward County, Florida, South Florida outside of Ft. Lauderdale and I work in Miami. I have been here 18 years. I am quite burned out with a whole lot of things, traffic, manners of the people, crime and on and on. I lived in the mountains in Maryland in the 1970's (hills to the western folks) and loved it. I love to hunt and fish and while I will surely miss the salt water and fresh water fishing in Florida, I hope the hunting will make it up. Last 18 years here as a federal agent. I will be retiring and want to consider Wyoming, Montana and maybe even South Dakota. Have a friend that was Miami-Dade Homicide and his wife a robbery detective who moved to Park County, WY. The are after me to come out and I intend to do so. They sent my some pictures last week and while the area they are in about 30 miles north of Cody, their area while very scenic, is too flat and barren for my wife and myself. I would like to know if and where there are some areas with a little more rolling hills, or preferably mountains with decent hunting. I would appreciate any help. Work not a consideration and I would like a decent piece of land, maybe a minimum of 25-50 acres. What areas have more variety with trees and hills? Thank you in advance for your help. WLA
There are a lot of places in Wyoming for good hunting. As far as the 25-50 acres goes - that's going to cost $$$ if you want mountains and trees. Lander, Buffalo, Sheridan, are all beautiful as well as Jackson but not quite as pricey. Pinedale is almost as expensive as Jackson. If your friends are up the Lovell/Powell way it is more flat there than in Cody. Greybull, Thermopolis, Riverton are all nice also. Basin is another nice small town. Laramie is great but the mountains are not as close to town.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:01 PM

MHT:
Thank you very much for your response. I was not familiar with those areas and I will do some research. Thanks again. /s/ W.L. Athas

Snowbird: Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will also research those areas. /s/ W.L Athas

Last edited by Yac; 09-28-2006 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 09-27-2006, 11:34 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Wyoming, to me, was an odd bird. From the interstate highways, it really doesn't look like so much, but get off into some smaller roads and it can be breathtaking!

Laramie itself is not really terribly hilly but it is very near some beautiful ranges.

I know nothing about buying acreage there, but people are friendly and you could sure do worse.

Have you thought about returning to western Maryland?
That is a place my wife and I have considered trying to get to. I know parts of it have been overridden with people fleeing the DC ratrace, but Cumberland looks very nice and too remote to be a DC suburb.

Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 AM

Griffis: Cumberland is very, very nice, I lived there from summer 1970 to December 1972, close to three years and worked up there often thereafter, but in response to your question, no, we have not considered returning there. The hunting is so-so and relatively limited to deer (season is 1 week per year in Maryland), squirrels, turkeys and while there is a grouse season, they are limited. Too, too many hunters for what is available. It is however inhabitated by very, very, nice people and I have friends there that I still communicate with 35 years later. Since I left Maryland 20 years ago, I have really not thought about returning. One of the big reasons is the joke about a slogan for Maryland, "If you can dream of it, Maryland can tax it." Good luck if you decide to move there. It is cold in the winter, but otherwise it is a very nice place to live. The drier air, more dramatic scenery, better and more diverse hunting and a more affordable price for land in the big three of Wyoming, Montana and South Dakota have me looking there, as well as the wonderful people who inhabit those three states. Thanks for your interest and observations. /s/ Leonard Athas

Old 09-29-2006, 05:00 PM

13 posts, read 122,460 times
Default not all flat

Wyoming has mountains all each edge- the Tetons and Wyoming Range (see Star Valley), Wind River Range in the west; the Uintas, Sierra Madre, and Medicine Bow/Snowy along the south; Laramie Range and Black Hills along the east; and Bighorns and Beartooths along the north. There are some small tough rocky ranges in the center of the state, too.

When I saw Jackson for the first time and I was heartbroken I had not been there 50 years ago- great little town overrun with chain stores, condos, and restaurants with deliberately goofy names. It is in a fantastic physical setting, no doubt, but is a high-priced year-round resort. Fine if that is what you want.

In addition to the towns others have suggested, Saratoga is a nice small town between the Sierra Madre (the northern end of Colorado's Park Range) and the MedBows (northern end of Colorado's Front Range). Check out the posts in other threads. (I rave on about Laramie.)

I lived in Montana for 20 years and there are lots of great places there too. It is more uniformly pretty than WY, ranging from densely forested wet valleys in the NW to the broad valleys in the main Rocky Mtns to the island mountain ranges in the center of the state to the very high Beartooths- and Missouri Breaks and badlands... It depends what topography and social mix you are looking for.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:33 PM

138 posts, read 468,542 times
WLeonard... I don't know how much you are depending on hunting, but remember- hunting is only a couple of weeks a year- you have to apply for license, and you have no say on the area you get. Many people think you just come out here and 'hunt'- it isn't so, as you cannot just decide you want to hunt'over there', as that property is owned by someone and it is illegal to go hunt on his property. Many people have asked to hunt on my small land, where there are deer/pheasant, and I tell them absolutely not!! It isn't 'the wild west with lots of open hunting spaces'- it is someones property/home. You have no idea how many 'hunters' myself and my neighbors have to run off every fall (and summer, when it is illegal).

Old 10-04-2006, 09:31 PM

Default dc53

dc53: You are correct that hunting is a seasonal sport. I have been hunting for about 40 years and fishing a bit longer. I am nearing retirement and wish to move somewhere where people are friendly and where hunting and fishing are accepted and embraced. Such pursuits are true American traditions and I can think of no other state that appears to be as hunter friendly as Wyoming. Hunters and fishermen are among the most devoted conservation minded citizens there are in existence. Sportsmen support and protect the environment and do much good. Check out Pheasants Forever, Ducks Unlimited and other organizations that assist, support and promote conservation and the development of habitat and logical and well thought species management. Hunting, when properly and lawfully enjoyed, is a harvest and that harvest is scientifically structured to be beneficial to the species and enjoyable and fullfiling to the hunter. I have never seen a photo of a child under arrest while carrying a fishing pole or while hunting with an adult. As far as the unpermitted hunters on your land are concerned, In Florida where I have resided for the past 18 years, trespassing on land with a firearm (hunting w/o permission) is a felony. I cannot speak of Wyoming, but I am sorry for your bad experiences. I would no more violate a landowners rights than I would tolerate the breaching of my own rights and legally permitted hunting and fishing is one of my "rights". "Hunters" as you referred to them, are good and caring people with some bad apples just like any walk of life. Once again I am sorry for your bad experience, and I hope your rights are respected in the future as you would surely respect mine. Thank you for your comments.

Old 10-06-2006, 05:21 AM

138 posts, read 468,542 times
Leonard- No problem with someone like you, who knows the laws, etc- it is just the idiots that think because Wyoming is 'out west' that there are no laws, and everyplace is 'public'!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming