Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,632 posts, read 57,651,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
You're 25. You lived in Elkhart until you were 23. You've lived in Sheridan for 6 years. Hmmmmmmmm.... You're obviously not an accountant.

But I agree wholeheartedly with Sunsprit on this one. You are apparently one of those who need to BE entertained, ... I urge you to move asap, and I wish you luck.
BAD numbers / exaggeration is typical of those with attitude of entitlement. You NEED to find your place in life, and it is apparently not Elkhart or Sheridan. I have found that when one moves, the troubles come with.
Quote:
It's all about attitude and paradigm of what you want out of life.
Quote:
If you worked at one of those mines with 12 hour shifts, you'd only work 4-day weeks. ...
Consider the thought that working 12 hr days, is only working 1/2 day

Many farmers / worker bees / multiple job holders / cafe owners would be thrilled to only work 1/2 day.. (12 hrs / day 7 days / week). As an EMPLOYEE it is a piece of cake to just show up and work. Running the show (business OWNER) is a whole different story.

Think about how you can learn to SERVE others and you will find your own circumstances are pretty nice. AND if you do move... work out this issue and leave it BEHIND. BTDT... leaving behind is WORK, but very freeing for rest of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 02:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,540,881 times
People who have two children while in a casual relationship as opposed to marriage seem to me to be completely irresponsible in that area of their lives and we could expect them to be irresponsible in every area of their lives. Who will take care of the children when one or the other tires of the relationship? Oh, of course, the government.

A few years ago there were several threads here discussing people from Michigan who found Wyomng to be a horrible place with nothing to do. The general attitude then was let them go back to Michigan. Why should it be any different now?

I've lived in Wyoming for ten years, five in Evanston and five in Cody. I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to buy illegal drugs. But I don't associate with people who use and discuss drugs.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM

6,251 posts, read 5,041,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
People who have two children while in a casual relationship as opposed to marriage seem to me to be completely irresponsible in that area of their lives and we could expect them to be irresponsible in every area of their lives. Who will take care of the children when one or the other tires of the relationship? Oh, of course, the government.
I'm not going to take that kind of leap because the OP appears to be in a committed relationship and is a father to his children.

The parks I took my boys to when they were small were your pretty basic swing/slide/teeter totter parks and they never, ever got tired of going there, so I am surprised that a six year old girl would get bored at the park mentioned in the OP.

There's limited shopping and limited types and numbers of restaurants in Sheridan. But that is the same with every single town in Wyoming and that is not going to change anytime soon. If the OP wants to stay in Sheridan I would suggest looking at how he (and his family) can truly take advantage of what Sheridan DOES have available. Go camping or fishing or hunting. Teach your girl some outdoor skills (how to use a compass, read a map, start a campfire, identify animal tracks, read the stars. Learn together if these are new skills). Teach her how to use a bow. A few more years from now teach her how to shoot. Look for arrow heads. Reseach a place online and then go visit it. Start a pictorial blog online. Let your daughter take the pictures of where you visit. Get to know some of the ranchers in the area and then go visit with the girls so that they can pet the horses or sheep or whatever animals they have. Start a rock collection or leaf collection - go for a walk and pick up one "keeper" thing from each walk. Display it so that your daughter can remember the walks.

Look at what churches in the area have to offer for all of your family. Look into the rec centers and what programs they offer. What programs does the library have? Where could you volunteer a few hours a week? Go to a rodeo (some have discount days). Go on day trips - wherever you can travel there and back in one day. Check out yard sales and look for a raft or a kayak or canoe and then go find a lake. Same with bikes and go bike together. Go on picnics. Scavenger hunts. Organize the local kids and have a chalk art competition. Invite the neighbors over for an ice cream social. I'm just brainstorming here but there are a million low cost things/low preparation things you could do with your young family.

There's an old saying - wherever you go, there you are.

Either Wyoming is for you or its not. Either you embrace what it has to offer or you don't. Either you fret over what it doesn't have or you learn to live without those things. What are your priorities? What is important to you? There are bars everywhere, drugs everywhere, crime everywhere. There is just less of it in Wyoming than there is (likely) where you came from.

I guess I am asking (rhetorically) if Sheridan is the problem, or if the problem really lies somewhere else. Regardless, I wish you well and hope that you find peace and happiness wherever you decide to be.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM

993 posts, read 1,760,679 times
I love when people only see the bad in where they move. I firmly believe that each city is (more or less) what you make of it. It is fairly obvious that Sheridan won't have the same amount of "stuff" bigger cities do. I moved from Rapid City to Minneapolis and, to me, the Black Hills can't be replaced by more "cultural big city" things to do (granted Rapid is fairly large). But I'm still very happy here. I adapted to the lifestyle like people should when they move. It sounds like the OP really should consider relocating if he is that miserable.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:05 PM

10,269 posts, read 13,793,394 times
I think the problem you have is boredom. I'll be honest, Wyoming would SUCK if you were not into outdoor activities. No, there isn't much to do in most of the towns except get drunk or go out to eat (although I'm sure Sheridan has a movie theater and clubs to join). Around here you have to go out and enjoy what Mother Nature has to offer to be entertained. In Sheridan there is hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, water sports in Lake DeSmet, and weekend trips to places like the Black Hills or Yellowstone. If you're expecting "urban" activities Wyoming is definitely not the place for you.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:29 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,165,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I'm not going to take that kind of leap because the OP appears to be in a committed relationship and is a father to his children.

The parks I took my boys to when they were small were your pretty basic swing/slide/teeter totter parks and they never, ever got tired of going there, so I am surprised that a six year old girl would get bored at the park mentioned in the OP.

Check out yard sales .
My daughter didn't tire of going to the basic parks either. Heck, she loved going outside and jumping on the trampoline or swinging on the back yard swing set. Gotta love garage sales. Is there a community swimming pool in Sheridan? What about 4H ? It's more than just animals.. you can do crafts, cooking, flowers and gardening. There's also a girl scouts chapter in your area.

p.s. I was a single parent for 13 years without the Government dole...thanks...

Last edited by Froggie Legs; 10-22-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM

262 posts, read 604,658 times
Quote:
People who have two children while in a casual relationship as opposed to marriage seem to me to be completely irresponsible in that area of their lives and we could expect them to be irresponsible in every area of their lives.
Did the OP mention that he was leaving his family behind anywhere?

Quote:
Who will take care of the children when one or the other tires of the relationship? Oh, of course, the government.
...because marriage is always and forever, there's no such thing as divorce.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,671,234 times
Default Sunsprit good advice for wherever you live!

Sunsprit, how well put your advice to the OP regarding Wyoming and Sheridan. I think that advice applies to just everyplace one lives. You find your joy and happiness for yourself, period. I live in an awful metro area, Dallas, and am dreaming of my wife and I retiring to Wyoming in another 18 months. I hate traffic, malls, and crowds of people. But I found by volunteering as a helper at an after school program for refugee children I could lift myself out of my doldrums and bringing myself a modicum of joy and peace in the turmoil of the big city.

The OP complained about drugs in Sheridan. It's nothing compared to Dallas. And we probably have more people shot in a single year than all your hunters get deer in the same time frame! And we'll only count intentional shootings.

Ah, well, thanks for a really great post--and the same to all the other posters. I'm not going to be able to enjoy the great outdoors as much as some people in Wyoming because of some physical frailties, but I'm going to savor every moment that I can and will be thankful to be around others with viewpoints like I've seen on this thread.

To be fair, we're also looking at SE Idaho which seems to have many of the same attitudes. And it sure looks easier to find rental property! The rub with Idaho is the 6% sales tax on everything but prescription drugs, and the income tax levied on withdrawn 401k money is a real bummer. Hope when the time comes we can find something in Sheridan / Cody as a first choice, or maybe Casper, although the wind is a detriment there.

Anyway, you have a wonderful state, full of the good and sometimes the bad, that occur wherever you find people. But the opportunities to live a full and accomplished life are in the hands of the individual.

God bless you all.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:20 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,235,480 times
I am new to this forum and i have to chime in. I am a retired navy man. Working at the shipyard in Pearl harbor. To the OP.
Your Children are going to follow Dads lead in everything in life. If you don't like to go to the parks then they will not. Bars, you seem to like to go to bars instead of being home with the family, that's your Choice.
I've been around the world a few times. You learn to miss love to come back to the old USA. I Born in Renton Washington(about 15 miles from Seattle) joined the Cub Scouts and later the Boy Scouts i made trips to the cascades Mountains winter and summer, camping and fishing great fun in those days. We made and played our own games like everyone mentioned in this forum, loved those times. My father's company Transferred my father to Los angles Calf. at age of 13, talk about a culture shock, Drugs, gangs, fighting to get home everyday. You must have come from the same problem i lived.
You seem to want everything handed to you, well it doesn't work that way. You have to work for it to mean anything to get ahead in life.

I've been researching all of Wyoming for a couple of years and almost made my mind up. Still a lot of work to do. Really looking for to some visits in the future Summer and winter. Of course i have a long way to come and visit from Hawaii
I can't wait to get up here in Sheridan Wyoming in a few years when i retire for good. I am a history buff so will be doing a lot of exploring around Sheridan Wyoming and up into Montana and of course the Big Horn Mountains. Got to get back Fishing again. Tired of being around traffic and to many people. Need some space for a change.
Good luck in the future.
Scott

Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,204,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
I love when people only see the bad in where they move. I firmly believe that each city is (more or less) what you make of it. It is fairly obvious that Sheridan won't have the same amount of "stuff" bigger cities do. I moved from Rapid City to Minneapolis and, to me, the Black Hills can't be replaced by more "cultural big city" things to do (granted Rapid is fairly large). But I'm still very happy here. I adapted to the lifestyle like people should when they move. It sounds like the OP really should consider relocating if he is that miserable.
Very well stated! When we told people we were moving to Gillette you should have heard all the negative responses we got. Our attitude was that we would go there and we would like it and give everything there a chance. Well, it turned out to be a wonderful town to live. I made some of my best friends there and there was a lot to offer. We were there for 3 years until I was offered a position that was near my grandkids so of course we jumped at that. We didn't leave Gillette because we didn't like it. So I totally agree with the statement that each city is what you make of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming