Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Not that you may not find some hostility. Lots of folks in small towns feel everyone who moves in is trying to "change their ways." I always have viewed moving to a small town as (1) learning to get along, and (2) finding a way to provide information without being judgemental. Just stay away from "the way we did it in 'Guam'", and substitute for Guam every other place you've ever been.

Understand, too, that their politics is pretty conservative and many in Wyoming are smarting over the recent election. Don't let anyone try to use politics to define who you are or affect how you believe.

I, too, traveled a lot as the son of a military man, as a marine, and then within the U.S. with my career. I think you really learn to mold to the people you live amongst, while hanging on to your own core values.

Good luck and safe travels.
I hear you...I am a big time conservative so I know what you are saying about the recent disappointments!! I am also a former Marine...I was in field artillery (0811) from 1979 to 1983. I can't believe it has been almost 30 years since I got out!!

Most of my traveling (about 95% of it) came after I was out of the Marine Corps when I was building networks all over the world. It was a lot of fun, but after a while, it gets old. However, all that traveling really gives a person a different view of the world and makes one (especially me) appreciate America just that much more. I live in Guam now (as you mentioned) and before Guam I lived as an expat in the Philippines for 4-years. That is all nice, but I am at a point now where I want to be back around the type of people I grew up with whom have the same interests and views as I do...if that makes sense?? I do not think I would ever comment about how things were done someplace else in the world other then to point out how bad those places were LOL!!

Growing up I liked to hunt and fish...and fish and hunt...and hunt and fish I also rode a little rodeo when I was younger, like the mountains (went to college in Colorado) and miss the beautiful outdoors of America. The only issue is thinking how my family would handle a place like Sheridan? Myself, I would fit in just fine...but I need to think how my wife and children would handle this type of environment

Anyway, my original post above was for the OP int his thread and about finding happiness. usually, the happiest place to be is right where we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,706,416 times
Default A possible downside of Sheridan

Well, I'm from the Old Corps! 65-69. I did spend a short period of time in 2nd Field Artillery Group (cant spell it acronym on this site) when it was in NC, but most of my time was Okie and Nam. But I was a locker lugger (3051).

You'll be in heaven with hunting and fishing in Sheridan. The only possible downside for your family is if they are really into shopping a lot. Cause it is a loooonnngg way to the nearest city of any size, Billings. At least by my standards. Wyoming natives think nothing of driving a couple hours once or twice a month to do their "big" shopping.

You may need to get your family interested in more outdoor activities, maybe photography, because the area is so beautiful. Also, if you can generate an interest in history, the Little Big Horn battlefield is an hour or so straight up the interstate. Cody is a couple hours west of Sheridan, the drive is beautiful, and Cody has a lot of Old West memorabilia. During the summer Cody has a nightly rodeo. I think Sheridan has one sometime during the year.

Drive east toward and through Gillette and you come to the Black Hills, Deadwood City (mostly a gambling town, however) and past Deadwood is Mt. Rushmore and Custer Park which is a sort of limited, less crowded Yellowstone Park. If you drive beyond Rapid City on 90, I believe, you hit the Badlands right off the expressway. Really bleak, but worth a look. Stop in Wall, SD so you can say you've been there. It was a famous water stop in the bygone era.

In Southeastern Wyoming there is an area where the pioneers used to camp by a river. Many carved their names and the dates in the cliffside near the water. Fascinating to see names and dates. We lived for a very short while in a small town named Celina, Ohio, and found someone's name carved in the cliffside with Celnia, OH and the date 1846, if I remember correctly. Since Celina only had 8000 people when we lived there, there couldn't have been more than 300-400 in the 1840's. Small world.

Somewhere south of Casper I vaguely recall seeing an early trapper's name carved into the rock. Maybe it was Jim Bridger. Anyway, history has always been a great curiosity to me. If you can get your kids interested and focused enough to learn more than textbook information, they will really come to like Wyoming.

And, of course, Yellowstone National Park. You're maybe 2 1/2 - 3 hrs from the eastern entrance, but at some point you will want to take the time (and pay the cost! ) to see it's many wonders. Personally, I like the grander, more scenic views IMO, of the Grand Tetons. There is still a building or two there, crumbling though they are, left from the filming of the old Alan Ladd movie, Shane.

Anyway, don't know if its in the cards for you to be in Wyoming, but OTHER THAN SHOPPING, if that's their thing, you should be fine. If you want to shop and eat, Dallas, Texas has got it, along with sizzling heat and concrete as far as you can see in any direction.

Good luck

Old 01-08-2013, 11:51 PM

52 posts, read 117,338 times
It kind of amazes me that someone would be bored in Sheridan - I consider it the Paris of... of... well, of Sheridan County, at least. Possibly of all north-central Wyoming.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,100 times
You couldn't blast me out of Sheridan with a gazillion pounds of TNT.

My wife just got deployed and her biggest regret was having to leave Sheridan - for six months. She can't wait to come home.

We love it here.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
You couldn't blast me out of Sheridan with a gazillion pounds of TNT.

My wife just got deployed and her biggest regret was having to leave Sheridan - for six months. She can't wait to come home.

We love it here.
The Mrs. and I are the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming