Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 AM

52 posts, read 131,271 times

Advertisements

I'm not entirely green: I have a year in as a surface gear tech. How do I go about getting a field position? I'm not picky, I'll be a grunt if I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 02:34 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Outside of a possible job opening listed in wyomingatwork website ....

You'll need to apply directly to the field services companies, who can advise if they have an opening.

With these jobs being some of the top wage paying in the region and the recent reduction in the number of rigs in the Wyoming area, competition for the available jobs right now is pretty fierce.

I drive past a number of outfits yards and they all used to have signboards advertising for workers, then it was just "experienced" workers, and more recently ... no jobs listed at all.

Be aware, too, that housing in some of the more active areas right now can be very limited and expensive. So just getting a job isn't the entire picture, you need to be able to find affordable housing, too. There's a lot of workers living out of RV trailers, 5th wheels, campers, and other alternative housing in some pricey hook-up locations.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-06-2013 at 03:07 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times
They guy here that are working rigs are on 7 , 10 or 14 and then off the same, they arfe travling Pinedale , to the Big Horn Basin, some to the Dakotas, a few are working SW Colorado , and some fly back and forth to Penn.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:23 AM

I appreciate the assistance and honesty. Thank you.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
I have now been in and now back in the oilfield for 26 years, most places hiring do it online first. Then when you pass the basic background they will let you know when/where to talk to someone. There are jobs that are walk in and fill out apps. But that is fading fast, with so many felons, druggies, people without drivers licenses and just lying people trying to get jobs. Also a trend gaining fast is a job hunter casing the place to come back and steal stuff later. They now also check for past work related accidents/sue settlements, medicines you take on daily basis, credit rating, work history "job jumping", but we don't talk about that.....
Check out places like face book, wyoming job service, casper star tribune, temporary job services in wyoming. They will get you one and if you work out well, the company will hire you outright from the temp place. I would recommend Manpower temp. in Casper, great people and will get you a good job.
My main gripe about people now days in the patch, is they don't really care to do their best at all times, they will take a day "just because" if they don't want to work that day. They might be 100% the best and in a few minutes or hours, they will screw up the same thing they have done 10 or 40 times before, and you can't make them feel bad about letting the company down. It's "no big deal". I am over a specialized welding shop and we build tools and send them all over the united states. I will find a way to get rid of someone that I just can't teach or make care about doing a good job for us.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
, work history "job jumping", but we don't talk about that.....
Thank you for the feedback. What precisely is "job jumping", and why don't we talk about?

Old 01-20-2013, 11:07 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
Job jumping is having many jobs or different types of jobs over a period of time. I have people in their early twenties that have over 50 jobs since the age of 18 trying to get one here. I wonder how they expect someone to think they will stay if given a job. And yes there are ways to tell exactly how many jobs someone has had over a period of time. Even if the "embellish" or leave it out on their applications.....
When you sign that part that on the job app that says they can look into your back ground and job history, you have no idea how far a company will go.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM

448 posts, read 1,198,298 times
Would there be work for "older" folks, over 50 or so in this field? What kind of specific jobs could a person of good health, this age perform...........trucking?

Sayin: Is oil work strickly younger folks' work, cause/practical risks?

Last edited by Goin'toasquarestate; 01-21-2013 at 11:14 AM..

Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 PM

83 posts, read 238,351 times
It's not overly hard work, for the most part. It's just ungodly hours in ungodly places with ungodly elements in most cases. And as we get older, we also get wiser which makes such jobs look less appealing despite the pay..... so, yes, it becomes a "young man's game".

Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawha View Post
It's not overly hard work, for the most part. It's just ungodly hours in ungodly places with ungodly elements in most cases. And as we get older, we also get wiser which makes such jobs look less appealing despite the pay..... so, yes, it becomes a "young man's game".

Strait shootin', thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming