Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,600 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move across the country. We want somewhere that is more rural than city. We have hit our capacity for overpopulated living. I am an avid reader and have fallen in love with the Wyoming descriptions. Looking at pictures is even better than imagining it.

It wouldn't be for at least another year but we are looking for a great place to raise our young boys. Schools don't have to be a priority because I am thinking about homeschooling when they get to be school age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 02:51 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redreviewsit View Post
My family and I are looking to move across the country. We want somewhere that is more rural than city. We have hit our capacity for overpopulated living. I am an avid reader and have fallen in love with the Wyoming descriptions. Looking at pictures is even better than imagining it.

It wouldn't be for at least another year but we are looking for a great place to raise our young boys. Schools don't have to be a priority because I am thinking about homeschooling when they get to be school age.
You won't have a problem with overpopulation. Cheyenne and Casper are the biggest cities at around 50k each. I would be very careful, however, about moving somewhere based on book descriptions and pictures you've seen. The wages aren't bad (depending on where you work and live) and do a decent job keeping up with the cost of living (again, depending on where you live) but you don't want to come here without having a job lined out first. Also keep in mind this is a very big state. The pictures of Yellowstone and Grand Teton don't represent the state as a whole. Yes, there is some great scenery around the national parks and there are nice mountain ranges, but most of the state is high plains and a significant portion is high desert. Keep in mind the climate is much different from Virginia. Much colder (and longer) winters, cooler summers, and much less humidity. If you can, come check it out in the winter. Please don't take this as me telling you not to move here, I'm just saying do your homework. Feel free to ask more questions.

Schools are pretty good in the state so I would consider putting your kids in public school. This state is funded pretty well and education is a priority.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM

231 posts, read 785,136 times
I've given my spiel about where I live all over this forum now...so I will just say, look into Pinedale, Big Piney, or Sublette County in general. Very rural and isolated but a great little town with great people and tons of activities always going on. Nestled up against the Wind River Mountains (google them). High, rolling sagebrush deserts surrounded by three mountain ranges (Wind River to the east, Gros Ventre to the north, Wyoming Range to the west). Close by to Jackson Hole /Teton Park/ YNP. Housing prices are fairly steep, but you pay for what you get. Very cold winters (has gotten well below 0 the past couple weeks not counting wind chill) but weather is clear and sunny and beautiful with tons of outdoor opportunities (I just took up snowshoeing myself). Summers are warm and gorgeous.

I moved from the east coast (Pennsylvania) and I thought I knew what small/rural/isolated meant...I had no clue until I got here. The small towns are VERY small and there are vast distances of spectacular but lonely country between places. The isolation/solitude/openness can "get" to some people. But I like it, personally.

Oh by the way, Pinedale was recently included in a list of Top 100 places for Young People...just sayin'. The people here are generally active, friendly and happy. Great community spirit (though I believe that is true of many places in Wyoming).

If 1500-2000 people population is TOO small, then look into Lander/Riverton as I think they are also really nice cities but still "small" by East-Coast standards. Pinedale's population is around 2000 (some sources say 1400), and is the county seat...Big Piney/Marbleton is about 1400 people put together. Other small towns in the county include Daniel (110) Bondurant (93 I think) and other tiny places...County is similar in size to Connecticut with only 10,000 people total. So if you like low population, wide open spaces and scenery, this fits the bill, maybe a little too well...

Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redreviewsit View Post
Wyoming has very favorable laws on homeschooling although they do have reporting requirements. There is a stong movement here to implement a statewide voucher program with the goal of getting rid of government schools.

Overall, this is an extraordinary place to raise a family in a wholesome and moral environment. You'll see no glorification of gangs, drugs, or deviant behavior in Wyoming. In the last presidential election Obama carried 25% of Wyoming's vote with three counties giving him only 12% of the vote.

Taxes are low with no state income tax. Our gun laws are arguably the least intrusive of any state. Come visit us and talk to our residents. If you like what you hear and see consider moving here. This is the place where America is still America.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Wyoming has very favorable laws on homeschooling although they do have reporting requirements. There is a stong movement here to implement a statewide voucher program with the goal of getting rid of government schools.

Overall, this is an extraordinary place to raise a family in a wholesome and moral environment. You'll see no glorification of gangs, drugs, or deviant behavior in Wyoming. In the last presidential election Obama carried 25% of Wyoming's vote with three counties giving him only 12% of the vote.

Taxes are low with no state income tax. Our gun laws are arguably the least intrusive of any state. Come visit us and talk to our residents. If you like what you hear and see consider moving here. This is the place where America is still America.
What do you mean by government schools? I've heard of public schools but not government schools.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
What do you mean by government schools? I've heard of public schools but not government schools.
I also don't understand what is meant by government schools nor do I know of a strong movement for voucher schools.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
I also don't understand what is meant by government schools nor do I know of a strong movement for voucher schools.
I guess government school teachers don't bother with election issues where they live. Learn about Wyoming elections, the State Senate, and look at the vote in the last election where you claim to live.

It's strange how this forum seems to reflect opinions found in New York or California more than in Wyoming.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I guess government school teachers don't bother with election issues where they live. Learn about Wyoming elections, the State Senate, and look at the vote in the last election where you claim to live.

It's strange how this forum seems to reflect opinions found in New York or California more than in Wyoming.
Show us your source. There are no "government" schools in this state and I don't think any in other states. Again, if you are referring to public schools funded by tax dollars where have you been the last 200+ years? That's how public schools have always been funded. And where are all these private schools in Wyoming?

Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM

24 posts, read 55,494 times
Its just like moving to any other part of the country its either for you or it isn't. What matters is that you are making a good life for you and your family. Life is what You make it not others. So if you choose to move here Welcome. Also like other states the whole place isn't what you see on pamplets but its not a long ride to get to places and take the kids sight seeing.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
Having been raised in Wyoming, taught in Wyoming myself and now a school administrator, and had two siblings who have taught all of their teaching years in Wyoming I feel that although I don't know everything about education in Wyoming I am pretty well informed. I just did a quick google to satisfy my curiosity. There are a grand total of 4 Charter Schools in Wyoming, very different than Voucher Schools. The only thing that comes up about voucher schools is that back in the 2010 election now Supt of Inst Cindy Hill said she was in favor of voucher schools. It is well known by almost anyone involved in education in the state that Ms. Hill has not proved to be a very effective Supt. That's another story altogether. Anyway, I find no resources that talk about there being a "strong push" for voucher schools in Wyoming. I can only assume that "government schools" means public schools, although in Wyoming the "government" schools are those such as the Wyoming Boys School or Girls School (for students who struggle legally, etc.), the Wyoming Training School in Lander, etc. These are truly government run programs but are not for the general population of schools.

EH, you may want to move this charter school stuff to a different thread. I don't mean to highjack the OP's original inquiry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming