Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 AM

791 posts, read 1,154,198 times

Advertisements

Can anyone describe the Beartooth Scenic Highway That is close to Mammoth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Default A picture is worth a thousand words

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowstoneDate View Post
And a video is worth a thousand times a picture. The trip from Red Lodge into Yellowstone will take between 2 1/2 to 3 hours, and you won't be able to speed it up---as you will see here. But this is a reverse trip from the summit toward Red Lodge.

Beartooth Pass (West Summit) Ride Down - YouTube

Last edited by Wardendresden; 02-23-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 06:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
It's a beautiful drive, has been called America's most scenic highway. But it won't be open anytime in April and probably not until June. It's a drive you should take sometime when you have a day off.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
not too close, but within EZ reach (across the top of the park, but not EZ to get to FAST)

As mentioned.... FAST is not in the plan for the Beartooth. but it IS much faster (and fun) on a motorcycle

I HOPE you are not planning on renting a motel all SEASON!!! I think there are some housing options at Mammoth. I'd be getting my name in there, or be bringing a small camper. You can find nice conversion vans for $3000 - $5000, and REALLY nice ones for $10,000. With great resale value. Bring a conversion van and a motorcycle for quick trips / commuting, and you will be all SET!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 AM

What is the highways like from Billings Montana down to Gardiner into Yellowstone Mammoth Wyoming? About April 20 be in the area driving. Have Ford Taurus front wheel drive.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Beartooth should open Memorial day unless a storm or sequestration stops it.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
April in the Rockies could be nice or it could be bad...........never know. Early Springtime snowstorms are common. I remember one year it snowed from last of August thru 1st of June or so. We had about 5 feet of snow on the ground in Gardiner all that winter. But I digress.............You will so enjoy working in the park. I did for 10 years before it was time to get on with life. Seems once there you will find it an easy, tranquil life, away from the hustle and bustle of the real world. I lived in an apartment building behind Cecils Rest. and many a morning would wake up to either an Elk or Buffalo in the front yard. The Yellowstone River and Gardiner River are just a short walk and both are full of large trout. Groceries were a challenge as we had to drive to Livingston or Bozeman for that. You will experience and see and do things that most people never, ever get to do or see. Coming from Raleigh you will have a bit of culture shock, but remember where you are and you will have fond memories the rest of your life. I remember being there and remember with great fondness my time in the park.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
The Super8 in Gardiner is quite nice and reasonable; it also has an indoor pool. Don't expect a lot of excitement in Gardiner if you're looking for night life and the like. It's a very sleepy little town. There's a boardwalk of gift shops that look straight into Yellowstone, a few (very few) restaurants, and a lot of bison, elk, etc. Outlaw Pizza is very good and the Town Cafe isn't fancy, but the food is solid home-cooking. The Yellowstone Miner is adequate with very high prices. Cowboy Cafe isn't bad. I have pretty much exhausted all the things there are to do in Gardiner. Fishing is good around there, but fishing season won't be open yet. You can pop up easily enough to Livingston, though, which has a few more things than Gardiner.
Livingston has more night life and more lodging. The drive to Mammoth isn't much farther from there; only about 45 minutes or so. With 2 days to kill, staying in Livingston would make it easier to drive over to Bozeman, the largest town in the area. Boze will probably be the place you end up shopping for a lot of stuff, and there's always a lot going on there, as it's the home of Montana State U.

If you haven't locked down your reservations, I would check out the motels in Livingston in addition to those in Gardiner. You may be able to save some money.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM

Can anyone describe the Grand Loop Road around inside Yellowstone National Park? I know when working whole season not to drive July, August time because of the wildlife cars traffic. I want to spend most of the times over at The Canyon. I be working Mammoth Hot Springs. Thoughts?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:51 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,288,980 times
Quote:
Can anyone describe the Grand Loop Road around inside Yellowstone National Park? I know when working whole season not to drive July, August time because of the wildlife cars traffic. I want to spend most of the times over at The Canyon. I be working Mammoth Hot Springs. Thoughts?
heck well leave Star Valley early in the morning 6AM and go do the loop, usually have a picnic and then dinner in Jackson getting home before 9 PM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: