Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 PM

46 posts, read 364,884 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting Laramie for a few days next week to determine if I really want to move there. I've been researching everything I can think of for a few weeks now, and it's time to go see it in person.

I have a list of things I want to check out while I'm there, but I'm curious what others would investigate when visiting a potential new place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 08:31 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
Don't really know what your looking for, to see, or enjoy. Could you elaborate?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 PM

I left the question very open-ended on purpose. Basically, if you were visiting a town to determine if you wanted to live there, what would you look for or investigate? Where would you go, what aspects would you look at? I realize that answers may be all over the map, but that's what I'm looking for - to see if there's something I haven't thought of. And if you're familiar with Laramie specifically, what would you recommend for someone to check out before moving there? Are there any hidden flaws or treasures that you think would impact someone's decision about moving there?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 PM

362 posts, read 1,855,992 times
Laramie is a great town. I recently posted some pictures of it, so you can look at those. It's a college town to its core, but it's still a Wyoming town if you know what I mean. It still has that edge. The people are the friendliest you'll find anywhere, and it's really close to the beautiful Snowy Range Mountains. You can take a drive over them on the Snowy Range Road, but I think it's closed for the season.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:33 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
I moved here to Laramie in August to attend school. My family and I absolutely love this town, the area, and the state. There is beauty everywhere you look around Laramie. One of the first places I checked out was the college, but then again, education was my goal. Laramie has an absolutely adorable downtown area with many great shops if that's your deal or you can do what we do on weekends....just start driving and see where in the great state of Wyoming you end up.

Personally, I would never tell those I left behind in California just how amazing this state is...I'm afraid there would be a stampede and I for one, would like to keep the beauty of this place to myself!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,284 times
I watched a Wyoming football game on TV and where I live, we never get many football games from smaller named conferences, so it was a pleasure to watch the game. I loved the mountain shots, the beautiful September sky, the stadium, the shots from around campus, it was all awesome! I've been thru Laramie and I must say that next time I want to actually stop and visit. I even have a Wyoming Cowboys t-shirt because I love the state and all that's in it. It's one I would be proud to call home someday. Hey Kele, to you find it windy there? One thing I can't stand is wind, I mean a little is fine but constant wind day in day out would iritate me. I'd rather deal with snow than wind. What are your thoughts?

Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,723 times
WyattE - don't ever move to Cheyenne then.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:20 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,284 times
Let me guess. It's a good kite flying town year round?

Old 11-01-2007, 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the input. I've been here a couple of days now, and have looked and many different aspects of things. My conclusion is that I am definitely motivated to move here. I'm not entirely sure how or when I'm going to do it, but now my major focus in life now is to make it happen.

Things that I like - The people are all very nice. Even when I pulled some "tourist maneuvers" while driving around gawking at things, people were friendly. The town is kinda quirky in a way that I like. There are some great little houses in the core of the town, and some nicer areas along the fringes. Some of the newer places, and especially the apartment buildings are very boxy, but that's true of everywhere. I talked to a very helpful representative of the Laramie PD, and learned Laramie is a nice, safe community in which to live. There are no areas that are unsafe, unlike SoCal and other major metro areas. I really like the downtown district. I can certainly see why they focus on keeping it lively. A lot of the other areas of the town are like anywhere else, but Laramie downtown is pretty neat. I walked around the University and talked to people there. I'm really looking forward to going, especially since there is a large population of older students. I like the little coffee shops. One thing that I had completely forgotten about (I lived Laramie in 5th grade, many years ago) was the wonderful scent of the air. The air is crisp and clean, and yet has an autumn scent to it. It snowed overnight on Tuesday, and Wednesday there was no wind all day. I had forgotten how clean crisp winter air is. I like being able to be in downtown, then walk just a little bit to the banks of the Laramie River in just a few minutes and feel like being out in the wilderness. I took a drive up to the summit in the Snowy Range - no doubt I will do that many times.

There's a whole lot more to list, but you probably get the idea. I'm looking forward to calling Laramie my home, and I hope it's sooner than later.

As for things I didn't like, there aren't too many. I think the city could be better maintained. The streets and sidewalks need some work. Perhaps the city will be able to do more with the income from all the motels being built will bring. Some of the houses look very run down. I understand this is because many of them are owned by people who don't live here - they are rented out to UW students. I think there should be either more ordinances or they sould be better enforced so that things look better. The wind will take some getting used to, especially in the winter. There is a LOT of truck traffic on I80, which is pretty loud. There should be a rule against using Jake brakes near the city, but I it's probably not as bad in town as it is here at the motel next to the interstate. The restaurants here are mediocore at best. I guess I'm really spoiled by the variety and quality of eating out offered in Pasadena, where there are literally hundreds of places to choose from.

But as I said, none of these things will keep me from transplanting me back to my home state. I'm looking forward to it.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:48 PM

104 posts, read 365,779 times
Hey CM how windy is it there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming