Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times

Advertisements

I have worked in several parts of Wyoming and know same sex couples. They haven't expressed having problems and I have known them for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 PM

154 posts, read 220,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
blackf150, would you agree that people that are gay, enjoy the exact same rights as everybody else, until it comes to Federal and State law? I mean, you probably see things differently than I do.
I don't understand your question.

but... I do want to ensure that all gay/lesbian people are treated equally as straight people.

Last edited by blackf150; 04-11-2013 at 12:11 AM..

Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf150 View Post
I don't understand your question.

but... I do want to ensure that all gay/lesbian people are treated equally as straight people.
I think they are treated equally until it comes to state and federal laws. I.e marriage, benefits, etc...

Old 04-11-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I think they are treated equally until it comes to state and federal laws. I.e marriage, benefits, etc...
I don't think it is true because gay people are still discriminated by employers and landlords today from anywhere of US, except for some states that banned on discrimination.

I don't know about how bad is in Wyoming but in my state, there are plenty of homophobia and I have to keep closeted at most cases, except for best friends in real life. I started closeted myself in 2005 after victim of bullying and threat due to my sexual orientation. I had been open in DC, MD and NoVA without any issues.

I think that states in west region isn't worse as like in southern states, but discrimination and homophobia do exist, however not bigger as other region. Also, there are same problem in California and New York too.

Some states already have full LGBT equality today but I doubt that federal will have full LGBT equality anytime soon, except for limited rights for sure because federal is much slower than state.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf150 View Post
I don't think it is true because gay people are still discriminated by employers and landlords today from anywhere of US, except for some states that banned on discrimination.

I don't know about how bad is in Wyoming but in my state, there are plenty of homophobia and I have to keep closeted at most cases, except for best friends in real life. I started closeted myself in 2005 after victim of bullying and threat due to my sexual orientation. I had been open in DC, MD and NoVA without any issues.

I think that states in west region isn't worse as like in southern states, but discrimination and homophobia do exist, however not bigger as other region. Also, there are same problem in California and New York too.

Some states already have full LGBT equality today but I doubt that federal will have full LGBT equality anytime soon, except for limited rights for sure because federal is much slower than state.
There won't be any state law in Wyoming requiring businesses to accept homosexuals as employees, tenants, etc. Many of us here are refugees from states that were always or became liberal. We'll work very hard to keep Wyoming just as it is.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There won't be any state law in Wyoming requiring businesses to accept homosexuals as employees, tenants, etc. Many of us here are refugees from states that were always or became liberal. We'll work very hard to keep Wyoming just as it is.
It is up to voters - if majority of voters support LGBT equality so they will push legislators to make any change - it could happen in anytime like Colorado did today.

If states still don't have law for years so federal may be next.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I hardly ever hear any prejudice against gays, but last summer when I was talking to my next door neighbor she said something about gays or lesbians (I can't recall exactly what) that shocked me, so I know there are some with prejudices. It looks like Happy is too. I hope they're in the extreme minority here.

PDA by gays wouldn't be the smart thing to do here, as it's pretty uncommon to see, even between straight couples. My wife and I often camp with a gay couple and sometimes with a lesbian couple, and I'm even a little bothered if/when they start hugging on each other. It's just really strange to see it since it's so unusual.

I can't imagine why any a landlord would discriminate against a couple. Tenants are tenants. If they've got decent credit and the funds for deposits, I could care less. Ditto with hiring employees. I've hired a few gays and lesbians to responsible positions. Never had a problem. My wife had one working for her. No problems that I ever heard about.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,838 times
The question always comes up "WWJD" In my limited knowledge I beleive he would take the sinner aside, tell him he loved them, than smack them in the back of the head and say "REPENT FOR YOUR SINS". We are all sinners, none being worse than the other but must live our lives according to the Bible. Sodom was destroyed because the sinners would not repent and if we continue down this slippery slope of "everything is ok" we are next. I will not qoute the Bible from any one verse, but rely on the entire context to live my life. Do not get me wrong there are many challenges to this life we live, but it is very evident to me that GOD leads us in his image and HE is definately in charge. Just one mans opinion!!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I hardly ever hear any prejudice against gays, but last summer when I was talking to my next door neighbor she said something about gays or lesbians (I can't recall exactly what) that shocked me, so I know there are some with prejudices. It looks like Happy is too. I hope they're in the extreme minority here.

PDA by gays wouldn't be the smart thing to do here, as it's pretty uncommon to see, even between straight couples. My wife and I often camp with a gay couple and sometimes with a lesbian couple, and I'm even a little bothered if/when they start hugging on each other. It's just really strange to see it since it's so unusual.

I can't imagine why any a landlord would discriminate against a couple. Tenants are tenants. If they've got decent credit and the funds for deposits, I could care less. Ditto with hiring employees. I've hired a few gays and lesbians to responsible positions. Never had a problem. My wife had one working for her. No problems that I ever heard about.
That's good to hear about your story and I have same question about why landlord discriminate on same sex couples, possibly religious objection - very common in southern states due to nature of bible belt. Wyoming isn't in bible belt and they are totally different region - it means landlords can be very unlikely to discriminate. Same concept to employers, except for religious institutions who are oppose to gay rights.

Yes, I have seen some members are less positive/favor to LGBT rights and that's fine with me if they are uncomfortable with LGBT rights. I advised gay rights activists in DC to not argue or harass at someone who oppose to LGBT rights or make ugly comment because it is very unlikely for them to change it, even include in any forums too. I maybe disappointed but it is their choice.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:13 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Exactly.
I dont like them mostly because of their politics. But I have no problem renting to gays, hiring them, or doing business with them.
If someone applied for a job with me and he stated that he is gay I likely wouldn't hire him because he is making it a point of telling me. People like that can be trouble. Just do your job and keep your personal life out of it.
IME I'd rather rent to gays than to lawyers. Lawyers have proven to be troublesome tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming