Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 AM

4 posts, read 12,244 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Cheyenne, we moved here over 3 years ago from California (my husband lived between Cheyenne and ca growing up). We are looking to move in 2014 and want to move to a smaller town to raise our young children who will be 6,3 and 1 when we move. I would like to move somewhere were there a lot of activities for children and somewhere it will be easy to meet young families like us. My husband is in law enforcement and I am in healthcare. We are going on a road trip to each this summer but would like to get perspective from people who know the areas better then we do. If there are any other cities you can think of that are good for young families feel free to post them for me. Thanks!!

Last edited by wyomomto3; 04-13-2013 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 AM

Nobody??

Old 04-14-2013, 11:44 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Default Cody or Sheridan

I don't even live in Wyoming, but I've traveled into it and through there a lot. All as a tourist, and you know I'm a dedicated Wyoming tourist when I tell you that I once took my wife to Torrington for our wedding anniversary!

My wife did do a telephone interview with the hospital in Cody (she is a medical staff director) and we ultimately chose not to go there from Dallas as the pay was just about half what we are getting here and it would be a new start on 401k vesting etc, and she was (and really is now) getting close to retirement.

But she investigated the hospital a lot and liked what she saw.

From all accounts I've read, Sheridan has a good hospital also. I did read some negative things about the one in Casper.

But in your situation, I would think Cody or Sheridan just because you would be close to work. Powell might be a bit of a tough drive now and then if either or both of you worked in Cody--that's just from looking at a map. Your husband's career in law enforcement I have no clue and could not make any recommendations.

We liked both Cody and Sheridan when we visted. I had an owner of a small company I worked for in Colorado who was from Sheridan say that it was a little cliquish with regard to outsiders. That is second-hand and he had moved away from there 25 years earlier, although he still owned some rental property in Sheridan.

Cody "looks" to be a lot more fun from a tourist standpoint and you are close to Yellowstone, some state park just outside of Cody and before Yellowstone with a lot of water for fishing/boating. And I believe they have a rodeo in Cody most every night of the summer. So all fun things to do. Sheridan, I'm not as familiar with, but it is very near the Bighorn Mts and has to have a lot of outdoor activities.

As for schools, I'm not really sure you can get an unbiased view. Most all the natives pipe up that all the schools are great. And I can't say that's not so, but I've lived in a dozen other states and there has always been one on the verge of collapse or anarchy, or just plain ineffective. Maybe there's one of those hiding in Wyoming, too.

I like either Cody or Sheridan over Cheyenne, and I really have nothing critical to say about Cheyenne, either. Haven't been through Powell, so can't offer even an outsider's view.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:51 PM

Thank you very much for your input!

We found Cheyenne is pretty cliquish, it took two years for me to find friends. I'm not sure if it is because of the afb base or what. The crime and drugs are the reason why we moved from California but we learned Cheyenne isn't much better. I would like to move somewhere that we will stay into retirement and really until we die. I hate moving Lol. I can not stand the wind and heard that Cody isn't much better. How is the wind in Sheridan? I found a cute little town north of Sheridan called Ranchester, can anyone tell me how the commute is into Sheridan during the winter?

Old 04-14-2013, 03:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomomto3 View Post
Thank you very much for your input!

We found Cheyenne is pretty cliquish, it took two years for me to find friends. I'm not sure if it is because of the afb base or what. The crime and drugs are the reason why we moved from California but we learned Cheyenne isn't much better. I would like to move somewhere that we will stay into retirement and really until we die. I hate moving Lol. I can not stand the wind and heard that Cody isn't much better. How is the wind in Sheridan? I found a cute little town north of Sheridan called Ranchester, can anyone tell me how the commute is into Sheridan during the winter?
I live close to Ranchester, so I guess I qualify.

It's about 13 miles into Sheridan and the only time the commute becomes a problem is during white out conditions, which happens when a storm front rolls through. It only lasts for a couple hours, or some times half a day. This winter the highway was only closed twice that I remember and both times was only for an hour or so. It is interstate all the way into town.

Ranchester is a nice little town of about 800 people. We have a beautiful view of the mountains and the base of the mountains is only 5 miles West. The Tongue River runs past Ranchester and has outstanding trout fishing in it. The city park is actually Connor Battle Field and is pretty good sized. It has a bout 15 or so camping spots for tents or RV's. If I remember correctly it costs $6 of 7 for a night and it's on the honor system. It has two bathrooms, and potable water available, but not at each campsite. There is a nice playground for kids. The Tongue River runs around the park and provides a excellent place to fish and also there is one area that the kids have tied a rope up in a big tree and they use it to swing out over the river to jump in. Ranchester has a small convienience store and gas station and typical of a tourist trap they are expensive, however, you can get milk, eggs, bread, canned goods, frozen pizza's, etc there if you choose to. The gas is also about 20 cents a gallong higher than in Sheridan. There is no mail delivery, everybody has a post office box. Because there is no mail delivery, each residence gets a post office box for free. All of the major cell carriers work great here. There is a cable company in Ranchester and they offer a package with about 60 channels and they run about $55 a month. Most everybody has a dish of one variety or another. We have a town clown.....er.... cop. So watch your speed.

Ranchester and Dayton share school district 1. The elementary and middle school are in Ranchester, the high school is in Dayton. Busses run back and forth to ferry the kids. Schools here are 4 day work week. Friday, Saturday and Sunday off.

Although the wind has been kicking up the last couple days due to a storm coming off the Rocky's, we normally don't get a lot of wind around here. Dayton and Sheridan actually get more wind, but that isn't really much either.

If you want to run to Billings, it's a bit over an hour North, straight up I-90. There is a lot of history in this area. The Bozeman trail runs right through Ranchester.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 AM

Elkhunter, thank you for the great information! Are the PO boxes in Sheridan and you have to go get your mail? I like the school schedule, are the days longer to make up tor the "missed" days? Are the housing prices around the same as in Sheridan? So many questions, sorry!!! I'm guessing tourist season has started. We have been looking to go in may and the rooms are not easy to come by!

Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Elkhunter, thank you for the great information! Are the PO boxes in Sheridan and you have to go get your mail? I like the school schedule, are the days longer to make up tor the "missed" days? Are the housing prices around the same as in Sheridan? So many questions, sorry!!! I'm guessing tourist season has started. We have been looking to go in may and the rooms are not easy to come by!
The Post Office is in Ranchester. The days are slightly longer. Housing is considerably cheaper. No tourists yet. We still have snow mobiler's coming from back East if you want to call them tourists. There is several hundred miles of groomed trails up on top, so we get a lot of snowmobilers in the winter and even more in the spring when the snow is still there, but it's a lot warmer.

Motels should be easy to come by. The only time they fill up is during Rodeo Week. There is also a motel in Ranchester. Don't know anything about it, but it looks nice. The problem is there is no place to eat out here, so few people stay out here. There is a cafe in town, but they only serve breakfast and lunch. Dayton has a restaurant that is open for lunch and supper and it's only 5 miles.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
Quote:
you won't "miss" days for snow up here unless it is really bad

Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
I grew up in Wyoming and moved to the Cody area a couple of years ago. We love it! My daughter & her family live here and say it is wonderful for raising small children. Lots to do, as you can look back on several threads about Cody and see. Schools are good. If you are interested in a 4 day school week, I work for the Meeteetse school district (30 miles from Cody). We are a 4 day school and the day is a little bit longer than regular school days. Fridays are used (3x/month) for "Friday school" in the morning....that is for kids who need to catch up, need extra tutoring, are in "trouble" so have ISS, etc. and also for student enrichment. There are also several Friday school field trips (fishing, skiing, etc.) throughout the year. It works really well for sports, too. Kids don't miss any school due to athletics, and in a small town almost everyone is involved in sports. There are even several families who live in Cody that send their kids to school in Meeteetse. It is a very small school, about 125 students K-12. It is very drivable if you work in Cody. A lot of people do it. However, if the 4 day week is the only draw for you to Meeteetse I think you would be totally pleased with Cody. It does have a lot more to offer for children without having to drive out of town. The hospital is growing by leaps & bounds. The medical community is really growing. It seems that L.E. is always hiring, too. The S.O. is based in Cody, so there are usually jobs with either the Cody P.D. or the Park County S.O. The pay is pretty good for this area. Any other questions, please ask!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 PM

15 posts, read 27,054 times
Grew up in Wyoming. Sheridan or Cody...my choices. I guess Cody..for the same reason as the previous poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming