Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM

692 posts, read 1,701,292 times

Advertisements

I have been flyfishing for about 40 years now. Learned from my Grandfather who was from Glenrock. Grandpa was a salty character who worked as a cowboy in his younger years and as a oil field worker in his later years. Loved us kids though and took the time to teach my brother and two sisters to fly fish in La Prele creek down by Douglas and in the Big Horns in the Meadowlark Lake area. My brother now makes his living fly fishing the Platte in Casper (as a guide). He is now known as the old man of the river as he has done this for the last 15-20 years. He is perhaps the best fly caster I have ever witnessed. Grandpa would be so proud and I am sure he looks down from heaven with wonder at my brother. My brother loves what he does for a living and this is what makes him a great fisherman, not just a good fisherman. I have found that if you love what you are doing in life than you will be great at that task. I miss Grandpa and Grandma very much and stop to talk to them at the graveyard in Glenrock every month to tell them about my life and reflect on my youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 AM

Default Flyfishing 6/10/2013

Drove up Red grade. Rapid Creek very high and not fishable (expected this) East Fork high and dingy, but pulled a couple of 12" Browns with a #16 Royal Wulff. Ventured up to Ranger Creek. Very clear and a little high but very fishable. In about 1.5 hours pulled about 20-25 Brooks out in the 8-10" range. The mountain flowers are in bloom and IT IS BEAUTIFUL. Ahh...spring in the Big Horns. Observed 3 Moose (Meese) at East Fork. Bull was just getting antlers and not happy to see humans.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 PM

Default fishing 6/15/2013

What a difference a week makes. Made it all the way across to Hwy 14 off of red grade. All streams running quite clear but high ( all fishable). Caught and released 4 all day. Great day though as the wife and I took a picnic lunch and mostly looked a flowers and such. A little cool at Woodchuck Pass (according to wife) but very nice in my book. Spotted 2 Elk here. Had the lunch at Owen Campground. Flowers are mid to peak so if you want to see them the next 2 weeks should be good.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,895,353 times
Ahhh, Fathers Day was fantastic. Kids came out with my grandkids. We went to lunch and then come back here to do a little fishing. Tongue River is still high, but a lot lower than what it was. Still a little murky. Just murky enough that the fish couldn't see Grandpa's worms, but just clear enough that they could see the grandson's worms. Grandkids caught fish for 2 solid hours and kept Grandpa (me) helping them re-bait hooks.

Then we had a BBQ here at my cabin. I broke out some big Sausages by Legerski (jalapena cheddar and cajon) and I also thawed out a big package of Elk Backstrap I happened to have off of a big Bull shot in March of this year. Outstanding day!

Another week and the Tongue will will fantastic, just 150 ft from my front door. Damn the bad luck.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 AM

EH
Sorry you have endure such a day....LOL...wish our girls could have come up for the weekend. Got a card from each and a phone call. Fathers day was spent with my Mom & Dad. The Mrs. and I took them to Remington's (Powderhorn) for brunch and then onto Landons for foliage. A good Father's day all in all. Tried to get them to go to the mountains with us on Saturday, but them being retired and all they were quite busy.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:26 AM

I knew there was something about fly fishing, that didn't appeal to me. Amputation should be scheduled some time this week.

Two neighbors, both female, wanted to go fishing, but they wanted me to help. I am all for teaching somebody to fish, so I jumped at the opportunity. Hindsight is 20-20.

One woman wanted to cast out with her Zebco 202. The old reliable, the faithful that has been used for generations. She had a spinner that was tied onto the line. No swivel, no clasp, just the line tied onto the spinner. Somebody had set it up for her and told her that this is all she would ever need for fishing the Tongue River. I told her that somebody must really hate her. I was in the middle of taking care of her rigging and I was explaining the swivels, the clasps, the types of knots I was tieing, etc. The size of the weight, the number of hook and why I used each one.

At the same time, the other woman breaks out a fly rod. So I am kind of watching her out of the corner of my eye, while working on the first rig. She appears like she might know a little bit about fly fishing. She's got a sweet old hand made wooden box that her grandfather had made. She told me which fly she was going to try and mentioned it had worked great, up on top, in the past. So I really did think that she had it together, somewhat. Now I don't know a lot about fly fishing, but I do know the mechanics of making it work.

I finally get the first rig set up and I instruct her on what to do. So she is casting out, maybe 20 feet, upstream, and slowly bringing it in as it comes down stream. Doing fine. So I turn to concentrate on the Fly Rod person.

She's got about 1 ft of line out of the end of the rod, about 6 ft of leader, and she's slapping the water with it. That fly hits the water and sits for about a tenth of a second before it's snatched up and slapped again. I says, "Whoa, hold on, let me help." I get about 15 ft of line out, and I explain that she needs to toss that fly upstream and let it gently float by, and when it gets down stream, snatch it out, and replant it back upstream to do it all over again. I'm thinking she's not going to catch anything, but at least maybe we can cover the mechanics. Back and forth back and forth, plant the fly, let it drift. Snatch it up and back and forth, back and forth, plant the fly upstream. About twice and she's kind of got the hang of it. So I go back over to party one.

Now I'm about 30 ft from fly rod. I am helping the other woman put a new worm on her hook, when fly rod is back and forth back and forth and she is actually, turning about 15 degrees each time and the fly is getting dangerously........ crap, she sunk that fly in my left bycep. Now, normally, everything would have seased at that point, however, fly rod lady was still slapping back and forth, back and forth, and she's really sinking it into my arm and she's wondering why the fly isn't sailing out in front of her, so she's yanking harder back and forth, back and forth and really tugging on that sucker. She's kind of leading me along because at this point, I'm willing to follow her, whever she wants to go. I don't know if it's my girlie screams, or what, but she finally realizes that there is something amiss. She turns to look and realizes that she sunk the hook in me. She panics and throws down the flyrod to run to my aid. Well, it went in the swift moving river. So now I have two frantic women trying to attend to my aid, and a flyrod being swept away in the water, which of course, puts some major drag on my bycep.

I finally get the flyrod out of the water so it's not trying to drag me into Montana and I tell the other woman, please go to my tackle box and get my forceps. Which she does. I took the forceps and grabbed the hook and was twisting it, trying to get it out and it didn't want to let go. It had my skin pulled out about 3 inches and I'm still tugging on it. Finally it pops out. I noticed that it is not the cleanest hook in Sheridan County so I enquire about it. Is it rusty, or are we talking the last fish caught is still all over the hook. She says, "Both. It's a little rusty, but I didn't clean off the Brookies I caught with it, either." I said, "No problem, I'll just clean it with a little soap and water." She says, "You might want to clean it with something powerful because I haven't used this rod and that fly for over 5 years."

I'm thinking, "When did I get a tetnis shot????" So I come back to the cabin and checked my chainsaw to see if the chain is sharp enough and clean enough, to perform an amputation sometime this week.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:34 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,142,240 times
Yeeeeeooooooouuuuch! I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Years ago I was talking to a doctor in Buffalo who said that on average he removed two hooks each summer weekend from fly fishermen -- usually from ears or neck. I've got a cowboy hat that I only wear when fly fishing for that very reason. So far it's worked.

I'd get that tetanus shot, EH. Save your chainsaw for firewood.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,230,649 times
EH,
Ouch, LOA, I am sorry, but i've just had the best laugh in a month. Sounds like what happend to me camping in the Cascade Mountains in Washinton, when i was a kid. Was trail busting to get to a stream for fishing and cutting through some high grass and bushes with a long blade knife and cut my left forarm when i slipped in the damp trail. Have the scar to prove it and remember the Tetanus shot. Now the Knife never leaves my belt on a trail.
I would get the Tetanus shot as soon as possible.
Scott

Last edited by ScottStielow; 06-30-2013 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: Added information.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:09 AM

I just had a tetnus shot last year, so I think I am good.

She called me first thing this morning and asked how my arm was. I told her it was swollen up bigger than my leg and I was unable to bend my elbow. She freeked out. hahaha Then I told her the truth. You can't even tell I was hooked. When I saw her later this afternoon I showed her my arm and she couldn't find where I had been hooked. It's a little tender, but nothing visual. I have to feel around to find it. So all is well. I also told her that it was much less painful than when my grandfather hooked my left nostril when he was casting a spinner. That one brought a tear to my eye.

It is the perils of anything you do in life, there's going to be bumps in the road, it's just part of living.

We bar-b-q'd this afternoon. I furnished some Elk backstraps and I made potato salad, she furnished corn on the cob, wild asparagus, and she cooked it all on her kettle drum bar-b-q. Life doesn't get much better than a meal like that....... well, unless you cook the same meal while fishing up on the mountain.

River is down and getting pretty close to normal. Water is getting clear. I've been making some worm farms to give to friends. I was told about this worm farm sold by WalMart that is a small cooler, vent holes, carrying handle, with bedding/food and they sell it for $19.99. My insulin is shipped to me in the exact same styrofoam cooler. So a cut here, a drill hole there, braid some rope and I have the exact same worm farm and all it costs me is about 20 minutes of work. Oh, and I have to buy bedding. Course, I found it at Shipton's for $4.99 and it's enough bedding/food for 4 worm farms.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 AM

EH now that is funny. I just spit coffee through my nose as I read.
Went to Paint Rock Lakes Saturday. The road is quite improved from the last time I was in(about 15 years ago). Still pretty rough though. 3 hour drive from Sheridan......while the parents and wife started on Lower Paint Rock Lake, I walked over to the stream between the 2 lakes and pulled 3 really nice 12" Brooks out. Than I went over to the lake and walked to the stream coming out. Another 2 12" Brooks. By this time ready for lunch. Chesters Chicken from Warehouse market, deviled eggs from the wife kitchen and homemade cookies from Mom. After lunch started the lake. First time to flyfish a lake in a long time. The Brooks were hitting the top of the water pretty good. I was quite surprised to be catching withen 30 ft of the shore. We had our limit by about 4 pm and called it a day. On the way out observed about 20 moose (meece?), a large herd of Elk, and what I think was a wolf. Fished Shell Creek just below the campground, but nothing here. Another good day of fish harvest and will share the bounty with the rest of the family during this next weekend as we observe the birth of our Great Nation. The LORD indeed smiled on us this weekend.

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming