Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 02:40 PM

231 posts, read 784,799 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is a Western thing in general or just a Wyoming thing, but I've noticed a lot of scorn from "locals"/"natives" of Wyoming toward transplants. Most of the time this isn't serious but is more tongue-in-cheek or humorous, but you can tell there is some seriousness underneath.

The locals always rib on the transplants for not being born here, not being 15th-generation, etc. There's a joke around here that you're only considered a local if your great-grandparents started a ranch here. I was talking with an elderly friend the other day, wondering if I qualify as a local for having been here a year and weathered a winter. She said, "I moved here 30 years ago, and I'm still not a local," with a laugh.

It's usually in good fun, but I can't help but notice how MANY people here are transplants. Most of the people I know living in or near Pinedale are not from here. Some middle-aged couples moved here together maybe 20-30 years ago, while many others have just gotten here within the past few years. The number of true "natives" seems pretty small, except in the tiny far-flung towns like Daniel, Boulder and Bondurant. Even there many of them are transplants.

Does anyone have any idea what percentage of Wyomingites are transplants vs. natives? It seems like there's an awful lot of transplants here; is that pretty normal for the state as a whole? We all came here with a sort of pioneering spirit, looking to get away, make a new life, experience something new, etc.

Any thoughts on the whole transplant thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 02:43 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
I am native Wyoming and proud to be. Was gone for 30 years.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I don't know that there are any statistics for native-born vs. "transplants", but I'd guess the transplants are the majority by a wide margin. My son was less than a year old when we moved here 42 years ago, but he's still a transplant I guess.

Towns like Gillette have a much larger percentage of transplants, of course. Here I doubt that one in 10 adults are natives. After I'd lived here about two years a friend, a native, asked how long I'd been here. When I told him, his response was, "Hell, you're a native. Anyone whose been in Gillette for more than a year is native!" I liked that.

Native adults around here are part of a small group, so they no doubt look at that distinction with pride, but I don't think that means they actually look down on transplants at all. If you make yourself part of the community by joining organizations, etc., you'll be welcomed with open arms.

I hope your interview went well today, Killer.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
My neighbor came from Michigan to Buffalo in 1971 and he calls himself a "Local". I was on the crew that built I-90 and came here in 1972. He calls me a transplant.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
I guess I've heard very little about my being a transplant, but maybe it's because so many people I know are transplants. I've always thought the residents were nice to anyone who was a hard worker and down to earth. KillerK, I also hope your interview went well today. Fingers crossed!

Old 06-08-2013, 03:37 PM

231 posts, read 784,799 times
Oh, I certainly haven't encountered any truly serious things...it's all been friendly, for sure. Once in a while I would meet a sourpuss, but more often than not these were people actually my own age, not the stereotypical "angry old man."

My interview did go well! I should hear back within the next week about the final decision.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Wyoming is a young state barely 100 years old especially when compared to New England where most places are over 200 years old. I remember when I was involved with the Wyoming Centennial Commission which coordinated the statewide celebration and looking at the the census just prior to statehood.

When a state applies for statehood a detailed census is required and the state from which the most came from was New York. I know shocking. I think being a young state which started with a very small population having more transplants should not be surprising.

Secondly, Wyoming is rich with natural resources like oil, gas and especially coal. This has brought in a large amount of transplants some who have stayed after the boom was over.

Pinedale is the most recent boom area with the developement of the Jonah gas field so not surprising Pinedale has a large amount of transplants. After graduating from UW in 1976 I went to Gillette as the coal boom was just getting going I am sure most folks in Gillette are transplants as well.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:42 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
If you are born in Wyoming you are native to our state. Anything different and you are a non-native. However that does not preclude you from being a resident. I myself am a native who was ignorant and moved but came back home. So I guess that makes me a native-transplant-native. In my opinion if you move here and fall in love with Wyoming(as most do) this makes you a transplant-native. If you are truely a transplant-native than you embody all Wyoming stands for (most do). Man at this point I am confused..............................What was the point now????

Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
With the exception of my hometown of Basin/Manderson, I don't really know (or care!) who is or isn't a native. I guess it has just never been something that was very important to me. Unless someone tells me that they moved from "____________" I wouldn't think to ask. I might be naive about this, but I have never thought that it mattered where a person who lives here is from. With the exception of living in Billings for a time, I have always been in Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming