Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,993 times

Advertisements

I was born and bred in the south and have never lived any where but here. Currently I am living in a small town about 54 miles southwest of Atlanta. As I have gathered from reading other posts, I don't believe that the small towns in my area are the same as the small towns you all talk about. To put it frankly, we are never really more than 20 minutes from a shopping center or a Walmart. I realize that if I do make this move it will be a total culture shock. Can anyone give me some insight on what I may be facing as far as challenges in adjusting to the area? If there is another southerner out there to comment it would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 08:00 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
well rocksprings is actually pretty big by wyoming standards.they have a walmart and a mall.your biggest shock will likely be the climate and terrain.have you been to rocksprings?why do you want to move there?i like rocksprings but many people dont.i have a friend from maryland whose wife is from vermont who has lived there for almost 30 years and likes it but different people like different things.a little more info on your interests and job skills would help people to give you a helpful answer

Old 11-09-2007, 02:03 AM

70 posts, read 406,663 times
Hey Peechy. I've been in Atlanta several times (my sister lives in Cumming) and also in the area of WY you are talking about, and culture shock doesn't begin to describe it. Both areas have its own beauty, but they couldn't be further apart on many levels. Keep in mind that a couple of Atlanta suburbs have more population that the entire state of WY. In WY, a person could drive for 100 miles before hitting another small town. The seclusion isn't for everyone, but some people from big cities love to be "in the middle of nowhere." Rock Springs is about 3 hours from Salt Lake City which, as you know is a large city, so that's nice. It's hard to describe the differences in a short post. I'd suggest before you sell everything and make a move, perhaps a trip up to Rock Springs would be in order. You could fly direct into Salt Lake, rent a car and spend the weekend in RS. A person should never move somewhere without at least visiting first.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 AM

8 posts, read 44,264 times
Come out and visit. Lots of Southerners move here and make western Wyoming home. I think they realize once they see it what REAL country is
They often love the Hunting and Fishing the most from what my southern friends tell me...followed by the No humidity and cool summers. YAY.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,937 times
I am a southern girl that has wanted to live in Wyoming all of my life. When I was 9 years old I knew that I wanted to live in Wyoming. It looks like I will have to wait until retirement, but I have never given up the dream. Are there any jobs for insurance adjusters in Wyoming? My youngest child will graduate high school in a couple of years. I'm hoping I may be able to make the move at that time.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:22 PM

208 posts, read 909,440 times
Hehe... I thought the same thing when I was looking at coming back here. I used to live in the Cody are and my experience there was as a ranch hand.... not the best way to make a living. I'd been living under the impression that I would have to get our internet business up to a pretty high level to support us before we could come back up here. I found out how wrong I was when I called some old friends north of Cody and they told me what was going on.

You can find a job out here in a day; if you're picky it may take you a couple of weeks. I'm sure as an insurance adjuster you could job pretty quickly... there is a lot of $$ up here and a lot of things to insure. If you want some info on this area feel free to PM me and I'll help you out in any way I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Girl View Post
I am a southern girl that has wanted to live in Wyoming all of my life. When I was 9 years old I knew that I wanted to live in Wyoming. It looks like I will have to wait until retirement, but I have never given up the dream. Are there any jobs for insurance adjusters in Wyoming? My youngest child will graduate high school in a couple of years. I'm hoping I may be able to make the move at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: