Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrlygnlvr58 View Post
Gillette is pretty but in the mountains.
Gillette is "in the mountains?"

Who knew?

When did they move it?

Are you sure you're talking about Wyoming?

When did they lower Douglas to a lower elevation than Gillette?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrlygnlvr58 View Post
Gillette is pretty but in the mountains. Douglas is ok and not as high up. Close to Casper, too. In Wyoming no matter where you live, you'll have a drive of some sort. My husband works in N. Dakota for 14 days out of every month. Oil field.
Gillette is definitely NOT in the mountains. The closest mountains are the Big Horns, about a 2 hour drive to the west. The Black Hills are about a 1.5 hour drive to the east. They are beautiful rolling hills and have "forest" areas, etc., but really aren't mountains. Gillette is flat. The wind blows the snow sideways and it drifts! We lived there for 3 years and did enjoy what Gillette has to offer. If you search this site for Gillette you will find many posts about the town and the Gillette/Wright area. I have posted quite a few myself, so feel free to ask me questions after you read them! Best wishes to you.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:42 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Do the mines operate a bus service from Gillette? Seems like I read about that in the past. I know when I worked at the Jeffery City uranium mines, they operated a bus service from Lander, Wyoming, 58 miles away, the mines were further.

There area few photos of Wright here, as well as lots of demographic information. http://www.city-data.com/city/Wright-Wyoming.html

Lots of kids there http://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...t-Wyoming.html

Wright, Wyoming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Satellite & street view photos of the town here on Google Maps. You can see a golf course and softball fields. https://www.google.com/maps/preview#....4913345&fid=7

Wright Wyoming images https://www.google.com/search?q=wrig...w=1221&bih=666

Old 12-13-2013, 06:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Do the mines operate a bus service from Gillette?...
Shuttle service... vans I think. Some might have small buses. Someone on here might know more. I'm sure most workers drive their own cars to most of the mines. Shuttles pick up employees at a convenience store/service station a mile or two south of town.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Shuttle service... vans I think. Some might have small buses. Someone on here might know more. I'm sure most workers drive their own cars to most of the mines. Shuttles pick up employees at a convenience store/service station a mile or two south of town.
They do operate buses. They look like Greyhound or Trailways buses. I know that most of the people I know who work at the mines that are far from town ride the bus (if they work regular shifts....the buses run for those shifts). They pay a minimal fee for riding. A lot of them watch movies going back & forth. I think I would just sleep!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:17 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Thanks for that info, Georgia. I should know these things.... My son has worked for years at a couple of the mines that are close to town, as has my next-door neighbor, and I've done quite a bit of contract publicity work for a few of the close-in mines too, and buses to them is non-existent to my knowledge. The mines south of Wright would be long commutes, so I imagine those are the primary ones using buses. I always see a couple hundred cars parked behind the Shell station by Antelope Valley, so I know quite a few people must be riding buses to some of the mines.

I've become soooooo out of the loop....

Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 AM

It's okay! I know that before we left Gillette (can you believe it has been 2 1/2 years already?) that the buses also picked up/dropped off by the Kum & Go on S. 2nd. Not near as many guys as at the Shell station, but I have seen the buses come & go there. My "fun" job in Gillette was taking care of the Redbox movie kiosks, so I saw lots of them when I was servicing the kiosk at that store!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 PM

48 posts, read 150,765 times
I moved to Wright about 6 months ago. I would definitely pick Gillette over this town. We do have a great library and a great rec center but that's about the best things I can say. If you want to eat out you can chose between the Open Range Steakhouse or Subway. Papa Johns is served at the local gas station. Housing, when you can find it, it ridiculously expensive. There is not much else to do unless you have kids involved in school activities The worst part about being here is the people. I came from a very friendly town and am very outgoing. I have tried to join lots of groups here in town but I end up standing in the corner while everyone else visits with each other. I have introduced myself and people smile and shake my hand but then turn around and go back to what they are doing. They are definitely NOT friendly here at all. Plus you have the typical small town drama of this one hates that one and that one's family was rude to the other one's family. This is the first town I have ever lived in that I have not been able to make friends. I am counting the days till I am able to move away from here.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,548 times
Sorry to hear you are not finding Wright up to snuff... do you work in the mining company business? Have you considered moving north to Gillette?

Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 AM

48 posts, read 150,765 times
I don't work in the mines but I have to live within 10 minutes of Wright. I wish I had the choice but it looks like I will be stuck here for the time being. Oh well, I'm sure there is a life lesson in this somehow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming