U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 AM

434 posts, read 955,714 times
Welcome CityParkMom!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 12:25 PM

723 posts, read 1,648,770 times
I worked construction building a trona mine west of Green River to help defray college costs in Colorado, where I live, in '80-'81. Some of the greatest people I ever met were in SW WY. In the summer, a bunch of us camped (no motel rent!) on the banks of the Green River near La Farge (sic?), had trout fries every saturday night, etc. Actually got run off on one fishing outing near there by an angry moose! Absolutely loved it. The 4th of July parade, BBQ, and fireworks in Green River was like going back in time, like stepping into a Norman Rockwell painting.

Last edited by Sockeye; 05-12-2008 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-12-2008, 06:36 PM

5 posts, read 14,217 times
I think the term "isolation" has more do with being welcomed and feeling of belonging than not have access to the Internet, etc. as well as being surrounded by big, vast spaces, not being able to easily get to a larger city. I was forced into isolation and was not welcome. All I wanted was to be a part and make Casper my home but that was not what happened.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,194 times
I guess I am "outdated" and "boring".................so much so that I am moving "to" Wyoming. Have been in the area.....loved it. I believe that Las Vegas is "bigger than life". I want to live life between big and small.
wyoming fits for me.

Last edited by windy weather; 06-18-2008 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: forgot some thngs

Old 06-22-2008, 11:11 AM

4,779 posts, read 5,178,987 times
Default my thoughts after having lived in Wyoming

Here are my thoughts of having lived in Wyoming. And this is coming from someone who lived most of my life in Northeast Illinois, near Chicago.

I went to grad school in Laramie, and I loved it. It may not be the place I would spend the rest of my life in, but I thought it was a great town, with a lot to do for a town its size and I think theres just a lot of whiners out there.

First off, I admit I probably wouldn't LIVE in many other towns in the state, but I do like EXPLORING the rest of the state. It all depends on what you like doing.

Laramie, has a quite a bit of "culture" for a town its size because of the university. There is a vibe of "rock-climbing progressive/hippie-granola" but not overwhelming. The more traditional western cowboy culture balances it. And there is a live and let live attitude and you can feel the coexistence. I knew many people that would go to the Cowboy bar do some country dancing and then go to Coal Creek coffee (a organic/free trade funky coffee shop) the next evening. You just don't find that everywhere.

Simply put, you have to be somewhat into the outdoors. I personally liked the fact that there were prairie dogs and pronghorn antelope all over outside town. Wildlife watching is a big deal for me.

And of course, 45 minutes to the Snowies, and 15-20 minutes to Vedauvoo rock climbing and hiking.

Fort Collins had just about every restaurant and shopping you would want. And its only an hour away driving through great scenery where you might see some elk, or other wildlife.

Thats not that far people, and if theres a snowstorm. So what! The weather doesn't stay bad in SE Wyoming. The next day it becomes and sunny and clear always.

And of course Denver and Boulder are two hours away. Thats easy day trip distance.

The only things that kind of rubbed me the wrong way, were

1. The negative attitude by people who didn't like Laramie.
2. The anti-front range/Colorado attitude by some people got old quickly.
3. I never quite understood why people would want to live in the country but then complain that prairie dogs (or whatever wildlife) were making holes on the property. Then why do you live out there. Unless your main source of income/livelihood actually comes from farming or ranching why are you complaining about wildlife?
4. There actually was fun nightlife. But the grad student population was kind of small. It was the undergrads that dominated. So a lot of cute girls still, just a little too young for a 25 year old.

Great place to go to school, but just simply fewer opportunities when you graduate and get a little older thats all.

All in all in Laramie, summers were perfect, and winters were unpredictable but you still got plenty of relatively, mild sunny days in the middle of winter.

Several times the winter temps were warmer in Laramie or Cheyenne were better than in Chicago. Just unpredictable more than anything.

I will say the one area of Wyoming wanted to explore more but only drove through once when I was there. Black Hills. Even though, there mostly in S. Dakota. I love them. Partly because in the west, people take solitude WAY to seriously. So to see some campy, tacky tourist traps, in its own way (Wall Drug, even replica of Flintstones bedrock) was kind of a nice relief.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM

2,191 posts, read 3,610,752 times
Several jobs have been opening up in my husband's career in Wyoming. One was in Jackson Hole, which I started a thread on and quickly decided it wouldn't work for us (too expensive). We love small, rural towns, the outdoors, etc. BUT... we are vegetarians (we're a family of four). We are not outspoken, don't care what others eat, but this still can cause problems. Sometimes people take it as a personal insult to themselves. My questions is: with Wyoming being a large ranching state, do you think many people would have prejudice against us? We are looking to stop moving... we want our next move to be the final one (hope! hope! hope!). From the posts here, Wyoming does seem like it would fit us in many ways, but the food issue is a major one for me, especially since I have two young sons. I don't mind not having food of choice available--I have lived in areas that haven't; you can always order on-line. Its the social aspect of it.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 PM

There are a LOT of vegan / vegetarians in Wyo - and Jackson would probably be the mecca here. LOL!!!! No, you wouldn't find any prejudice against you. We ain't Texas vs. Oprah. LOL!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:42 PM

33 posts, read 96,466 times
You should take a close look at Cody. Great place to raise kids, and would probably fill your bill. Albertson's supermarket has a very good produce section, plus the Walmart, and a couple stores up in Powell.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernstarr View Post
Albertson's supermarket has a very good produce section, plus the Walmart, and a couple stores up in Powell.
I'm going to add a caveat - has decent produce for the Rocky Mtn States.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,976 times
Default Moving to Laramie

From CA to WY .. Any Tips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming