Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:19 AM

207 posts, read 443,417 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if you guys could help me a little with *general* descriptions and differences between the larger towns (or medium towns) in Wyoming. We are looking for homeschool groups to join there, some shopping at a Walmart or Target, a library, a few restaurants (even some fast food), a health food store would be great if possible, and maybe a bookstore (nonfiction stuff).

For example, would you say Cheyenne (since it's the largest) is better for a homeschooling family to go to social activities with other homeschoolers? Is it colder in Sheridan overall? Are there major wind differences?

We are on a VERY strict budget at the moment and are looking for the most affordable area that offers the above - is it possible in Wyoming? We are also looking into ID and NE, but love Wyoming!

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,782,439 times
Both Cheyenne and Sheridan have fast food, bookstores, Walmart, healthfood stores, a library. Cheyenne has a Target.

I've been out of the home schooling loop for several years, but when I was doing it, it was easy to find others with whom you could do activities. Also, the local schools let the homeschooled kids join in on some extra-curricular events. I don't know if that is still true.

I get temporary workers in my department from Cheyenne, and they claim basic neighborhood type housing is more expensive here (Sheridan). I know it is more expensive than the areas I am considering buying in.

Although, Sheridan is in the north of the state, it isn't always colder and it isn't always warmer. Weather patterns differ and latitude doesn't guarantee anything. It's amusing to observe. Cheyenne does tend to be windier.

Cheyenne would be closer to the Colorado front range development, if one wants access to more museums. Cheyenne also has more in that way than Sheridan.

Both are nice towns, as are the rest in Wyoming, IMO. Many of us live based on where we work.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Both Cheyenne and Sheridan have fast food, bookstores, Walmart, healthfood stores, a library. Cheyenne has a Target.

I've been out of the home schooling loop for several years, but when I was doing it, it was easy to find others with whom you could do activities. Also, the local schools let the homeschooled kids join in on some extra-curricular events. I don't know if that is still true.

I get temporary workers in my department from Cheyenne, and they claim basic neighborhood type housing is more expensive here (Sheridan). I know it is more expensive than the areas I am considering buying in.

Although, Sheridan is in the north of the state, it isn't always colder and it isn't always warmer. Weather patterns differ and latitude doesn't guarantee anything. It's amusing to observe. Cheyenne does tend to be windier.

Cheyenne would be closer to the Colorado front range development, if one wants access to more museums. Cheyenne also has more in that way than Sheridan.

Both are nice towns, as are the rest in Wyoming, IMO. Many of us live based on where we work.

Hi BranDcalf!

That's good to know about the homeschool communities, and from what I've read Sheridan seems somewhat more expensive. We need the cheapest rent possible at first in the best area for families with some amenities. Right now we are near the St. Louis, MO area and miserable here, and before that we spent the majority of our lives in Memphis, TN so humidity is just not our friend. Still, we don't want to freeze to death driving to the grocery store or get snowed in for days. We actually like snow though, but in the South when it snows it is wet (not 'powdery' like I hear it is out West) and dangerous and turns to sheets of ice - and they shut everything down for even 2 inches sometimes because of the ice!

Do you know anything about Casper? Aren't Cheyenne and Casper the 2 largest towns?

We will mostly be doing web design/freelance work/web business from home (and we are both musicians so a coffee shop for acoustic gigs and maybe a music store would be nice, but not essential) so we need to make sure we move somewhere that would definitely have good internet connections.

Thanks for the thoughts you shared about the weather too. I am very confused on which area (west vs. east, north vs. south) of WY might be better for a small garden and later a hobby farm with chickens (where they won't freeze. We have young children and I worry a little about the cold there, but I am from the South so I know cold there is drier and some find it much easier to deal with.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:35 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,847 times
Though you probably have found this if you've looked, there is a Wyoming homeschooler network Homeschoolers Of Wyoming

Laramie is another thought, though windy it might have the "coffee shop" and other things.....Do look at Gillette too...the area is sprawling but has a rugged beauty and not far from the Black Hills and Big Horns.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:24 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
It would be very helpful for a meaningful response if you'd give us an idea as to what you need for housing and what your strict budget limitation is.

Everything else is superfluous if you can't afford to move here to begin with.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Though you probably have found this if you've looked, there is a Wyoming homeschooler network Homeschoolers Of Wyoming

Laramie is another thought, though windy it might have the "coffee shop" and other things.....Do look at Gillette too...the area is sprawling but has a rugged beauty and not far from the Black Hills and Big Horns.
Hi Froggie Legs! Thank you so much for that - I will check all of those out

Old 09-28-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
It would be very helpful for a meaningful response if you'd give us an idea as to what you need for housing and what your strict budget limitation is.

Everything else is superfluous if you can't afford to move here to begin with.
Hi Sunsprit,

Well, I guess the cheaper the rent at first the better for us. I have seen rentals online for a 2BR apartment or house ranging from $525-$2000+, so I understand your point. We would prefer to keep it below $650 if possible, but I understand Wyoming is more expensive than where we are coming from here.

Thanks!

Old 09-28-2013, 07:16 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,847 times
You might also want to check out https://www.wyomingatwork.com/vosnet/Default.aspx for job possibilities. Wyoming is great, if you have a steady, reliable income. Starting your own business without capital at hand is risky in this economy, anywhere you go. Are you thinking the web design clientele will come from Wyoming or anywhere? To put Wyoming into perspective, I tell people there are more people in the city of Minneapolis than there are in the whole state of Wyoming, so you might want to expand that home web design business to include other options or your income generation might be quite slim, especially starting out/over.
Cheyenne does list a web designer position, so you might want to check that out. I made the mistake of not having a job before moving to WY when I was in my late 20's... I lasted a year working two part time jobs and barely scraping by. Don't get me wrong, I loved Wyoming, but my income wasn't sustainable and I had my 8 yr old daughter to think of.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
You might also want to check out https://www.wyomingatwork.com/vosnet/Default.aspx for job possibilities. Wyoming is great, if you have a steady, reliable income. Starting your own business without capital at hand is risky in this economy, anywhere you go. Are you thinking the web design clientele will come from Wyoming or anywhere? To put Wyoming into perspective, I tell people there are more people in the city of Minneapolis than there are in the whole state of Wyoming, so you might want to expand that home web design business to include other options or your income generation might be quite slim, especially starting out/over.
Cheyenne does list a web designer position, so you might want to check that out. I made the mistake of not having a job before moving to WY when I was in my late 20's... I lasted a year working two part time jobs and barely scraping by. Don't get me wrong, I loved Wyoming, but my income wasn't sustainable and I had my 8 yr old daughter to think of.
Thanks Froggie Legs
Well, we both currently do steady freelance worldwide so although it would be nice to find some local businesses to add later, we should be ok. Our biggest hurdle seems to be finding an affordable place in a good area for families. We are concerned about utility costs since WY is colder, but maybe it wouldn't be as bad because the summers are not as miserable as here. Thank you for checking the web design position in Cheyenne - that is good to know for the future, for sure! We know what it's like to barely scrape by, but right now we need a permanent change in our environment for many reasons - especially our health - and we are hoping WY rents are within our reach.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:37 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
For the most part Wyoming is NOT a cheap place to live. There are lots of small towns in states all over the midwest where older homes will rent (or sell) really cheap compared to Wyoming. If you have a job in Wyoming, pay will be higher than in small town, KS and will make up for the higher COL, but if you're earning your money elsewhere, you'll be paying a premium to live in Wyoming or most other western states.

To answer some of your other questions, however, wind and air temps are greatly affected by elevation, so while Cheyenne, Laramie and most of the other towns across southern Wyoming are further south, they're not necessarily any warmer because they're also higher in elevation. That also contributes to the higher winds along southern Wyoming. Laramie's elevation is about 7100' while Sheridan's is about 3700'.

The standard atmospheric lapse rate is 2 degrees centigrade (or 3.6F) per 10000 feet, so that 3400 foot difference equates to about 12 degrees F. If you jump in your car in Sheridan and start driving up the mountain, at 7100 feet you'll find the cool weather you could expect in Laramie -- except it may be a little cooler because it's further north. Higher elevations also have higher winds, particularly in the winter when the jet stream dips to lower altitudes.

When I had a personal plane I made numerous trips from Wyoming to Iowa. Heading east I always flew as high as possible (without using supplemental oxygen), typically picking up an extra 40-60 mph with strong tailwinds at 12K feet. Headed west back to Wyoming, I flew as low as I could without getting too much turbulence to stay out of those stronger winds.

So if you want warmer weather and lighter winds, google the elevation for towns you may be interested in. Natural windbreaks, such as mountain ranges, will often offer some protection from the winds in areas on the leeward side of mountains, but elevation always has a significant influence on weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming