U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 03:10 PM

17 posts, read 58,210 times
Molon Labe,
That would be great if you could give me the info regarding where to look for housing.
Thanks a bunch,
Jewels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 08:45 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,123,978 times
regardless of which town you choose ,gillette is the only place to do most grocery and other shopping.its also is really the only place with any nightlife or dining options if thats important.as i noted and the previous poster elaborated on there are a zillion things to do on a weekend outside rapidcity to the east.they even have a decent mall in rapid and the south dakota section of the blackhills has many attractions.the bighorn mountains a little over an hour west of gillette have a lot of outdoor recreation oppertunities.i personally wouldnt want to live in wright,but if a short commute to work is your main priority at many mines it may be your best bet if you can find a place.if you want to live in a nice place and dont mind a real long commute sundance about 70 miles east is real nice,but real small.buffalo,about 70 miles west is nice,a bit bigger but both are expensive and also short on housing.from sundance you could attend college in south dakota,i know there is something in spearfish and i believe rapidcity has some options also.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 PM

264 posts, read 712,288 times
Buffalo isn't much on nightlife though. A couple of bars, some restaurants, a movie theater. Mostly a quiet, quaint tourist town on the road to Yellowstone. Housing is getting better all around I think now that winter is coming.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 PM

208 posts, read 533,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsfaith87 View Post
Molon Labe,
That would be great if you could give me the info regarding where to look for housing.
Thanks a bunch,
Jewels
PM inbound with my email address. I'll give you a little more information in private... I don't like turning others' names and contact info loose online!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:38 AM

943 posts, read 2,233,142 times
I guess I don't follow news as much as I thought, didn't know there was a Tornado in Wright.

Do you have any linjks to news articles or anything? I know the guy who owns the radio station in Wright so I keep up on things a bit.. or so I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Morcroft - Nothing there. A bar, a truckstop. So for a young couple, you'd drive into Gillette for grocery's, going out for supper, and night life. Then you'd have that long drive to get home.

Wright - Less then Nothing. Wright was hit by a tornado last year and litterally wiped out. They've done a terrific job of rebuilding, but they've only rebuilt what they need so far. Every house is full. If you had a trailer, there would be a place to park it, but then again, if you had a trailer, you could park it in Gillette.

Gillette - Nice dining, nice night life. But housing is scarce to say the least. Housing can be found in Gillette. But it takes a long time and you have to be in the right place at the right time.

I would highly suggest you look at a RV. Say a 37 ft 5th wheel. Would give you a place to live, in Gillette, and it would afford you time to find a house.

Gillette has boomed once again and as such, nothing is available. There are people living in Buffalo and commuting 66 miles to Gillette because there is just nothing available.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
I guess I don't follow news as much as I thought, didn't know there was a Tornado in Wright.

Do you have any linjks to news articles or anything? I know the guy who owns the radio station in Wright so I keep up on things a bit.. or so I thought.
As far as I know that tornado was back in the middle of '05.... before I was back up here. I go through Wright all the time; we have quite a few customers down there. You would never know that a tornado hit it....

There were a few that touched down outside of town in '07, but nothing that really did any damage.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 PM

943 posts, read 2,233,142 times
This will sound kinda silly, but are there two towns named Wright?

Mapquest.com shows two.. one South of Casper and one NE of Casper, I think.. forget where exactly they were on the map.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM

60 posts, read 130,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molon labe View Post
There were a few that touched down outside of town in '07, but nothing that really did any damage.
I was between Gillette and Wright when that storm hit in '07, I saw one of the Tornadoes but it wasn't very big. I was in Applebee's in Gillette when a tornado warning was announced, they gave us the option of leaving or going to the freezer. I left and they tried to charge me for food I didn't even get!

Old 02-02-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace_Maker View Post
I was between Gillette and Wright when that storm hit in '07, I saw one of the Tornadoes but it wasn't very big. I was in Applebee's in Gillette when a tornado warning was announced, they gave us the option of leaving or going to the freezer. I left and they tried to charge me for food I didn't even get!
Hmmm... sounds like Applebees. I had great experiences with that restaurant until I moved up to Gillette; I haven't set foot in this one since the first time we tried eating there. Some kid that was allegedly a server walked by us for 15 minutes without even asking if we wanted something do drink, and this was after the hostess set us at one of the high tables instead of the booth we requested (which was open by the way). It doesn't surprise me that they tried to charge you......

Old 02-02-2008, 09:28 PM

60 posts, read 130,243 times
To be honest I always found good service was hard to find in Gillette. That one waitress at Humphreys was pretty nice and she worked something like 16 hours a day. Truthfully I didn't like much about Gillette the bright spots were a nice shooting range, the Mexican food place by McDonald's (cant remember the name), and the money I made there. I got out as soon as I could.

I was shocked by all the rain Gillette got last spring-summer and by how green it was. I remember when the recovered part of Wyodak got flooded and one cow was out in the middle on an island, a guy that I worked with said that picture made the paper. I was working at Donkey Creek so I drove by there every day. I heard the wind was supposed to be bad but I didn't think it was bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming