Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 12:59 PM

13 posts, read 18,427 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I might be out of work due to federal cutbacks, I am an educator in MI (20% teaching/80% administrative), masters degree, k-8 math and science and administrative license.

Posted on a few other state sites and was directed to investigate WY as other posters claimed that their states are not educator friendly (job opportunity, salary vs cost of living etc). Only driven through WY and mostly at night. As far as lifestyle we enjoy sunshine, hiking, biking, rails-to-trails, organic produce, reading. Not city people but definitely used to "choices" for stores, like quant downtowns, small business but like the option of big box places.

10 years as an educator, what is the job market like? What are some areas that are growing? How is the lifestyle? Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Family of 3, currently living on 2 acres in country but close to suburban stuff, far from a "city." Lived in HI for two years, love OR, CO and some parts of MI (family is here and for now home…).

Never really thought about WY, undiscovered and not really a talked about place to relocate to so I am at loss for knowledge. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 01:48 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,236,864 times
rails-to-trails a lot of land owner have fought that here because the original contract on a lot of spur lines was if abandoned the easement or fee title property reverted back to the land owner , besides who wants a bunch of bikers in middle of a calving pasture

Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 PM

38 posts, read 55,354 times
Casper has a wonderful rails to trails and paved river pathway system. When the wind isn't blowing....it is a great place to be outside and exploring urban areas as well as open space.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-21-2013, 10:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,202,325 times
I know that I, among others, have posted a lot about teaching opportunities in Wyoming here. Have you searched the threads? As of now, the district that is growing exponentially is Campbell County #1 in Gillette. They have built 3 new elem schools in the past 5 years and have plans to build another junior high (there are two now) and a second high school in the not-so-far future. This year there were just shy of 1000 kindergarteners starting school in the district. The district is great about hiring the best person for the job....whether they be local or move for the job, new or experienced teachers, with or without master's degrees. As an educator/administrator in Wyoming I am very grateful to be here in my home state where opportunities for educators are much better than in most states.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:10 PM

13 posts, read 18,427 times
Thanks to all for your time, I have been poking around a bit but have little knowledge of WY, never really on my radar. Looks like a nice place to be. A question about winters (very general as I know it varies w/ topography around the corner) but how are winters? Michigan is cold, gloom, humid/wet snowy winters. Very little sunshine which is the biggest issue, think PNW but with much colder temps (days on end in 20's for a high), short spring, mild to hot/humid summers, nice falls, great lakes are awesome. Not the best climate-either hot and humid or cold and gray.

Thanks again-

Old 11-22-2013, 02:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,534,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
rails-to-trails a lot of land owner have fought that here because the original contract on a lot of spur lines was if abandoned the easement or fee title property reverted back to the land owner , besides who wants a bunch of bikers in middle of a calving pasture
I'm surprised that anyone likes it in rural areas. It's bad for property owners and it doesn't let the land return to its natural state.

The government owns more than half of the land in Wyoming; there's no shortage of places to go.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,156,946 times
Wyoming seldom has much humidity, so that would be a big plus for you. It does get cold, probably colder than Michigan, but it's usually sunny, so coupled with the low humidity and high elevation (hot sun), it's not normally bone-chilling cold -- unless it's windy. And it has more than it's share of wind. My job has me in and out of my vehicle all day long -- out for 5-10 minutes, then in for 5-10 minutes (to an hour rarely). I wear street clothes and a light fleece jacket almost every day all winter long, often with a short sleeved shirt but more often with long sleeves.

I live in Gillette, which Georgia mentioned. I moved here 40+ years ago from Iowa so can compare the weather with it. It's technically colder here but feels warmer. Summers are much nicer, and sometimes that extra bit of breeze helps with the heat -- a little breeze and a shade tree usually makes it pretty nice on the hot days. I can no longer handle Iowa's heat and humidity.

IIRC, Gillette has well over 100 miles of walking trails (probably over 200 now), but for hiking you'd want to drive an hour+ east or west -- to the Bighorn Mountains or Black Hills. We like to camp, so we usually look at the forecast and decide which direction to go. If the forecast is for hot weather, we go west to the higher and cooler mountains. If cooler weather is expected, we'll head east to Devils Tower, etc. -- lower elevation and warmer weather. Hiking trails of all levels abound either way. South Dakota's Black Hills, I believe, have more trails groomed for bikes. My son used to be big into mountain biking and would often go to the SD Black Hills for that. He was into rock climbing at the same time, and that also drew him to the Black Hills -- either Devils Tower or the SD Black Hills.

Many of Wyoming's major rivers run north -- from the higher elevations in southern Wyoming. Those higher elevations in the south part of the state mean more wind. We in the north end get plenty, but southern Wyoming is known for high winds, pretty much from one end of the state to the other. It's just something you gotta get used to. A few years ago about this time of the year, a Christmas tree ended up in the parking lot where my wife works. She felt sorry for it (it wasn't the prettiest tree) and adopted it as our tree for that year. A tag on it identified it as being from a Christmas tree lot in Wheatland, WY -- 175 miles south of us. Whether it actually blew here from there or not we'll never know (unlikely), but considering the winds we were having that week, we assumed it rolled all the way. (It looked like it had!)

Aside from the mountains, Wyoming doesn't get much snow in the winter -- nor rain in the summer. It's mostly semi-arid high plains. You would most likely miss the trees and greenery you have in Michigan, but in return you'd enjoy the drier air -- and fewer insects. Everything has its trade-offs.

Oh, you mentioned Oregon. Western Oregon also suffers from gloomy winters. My wife is from Medford. Fog can set in there this time of the year and you won't see the sun for a month! And August? Whew! 105 degrees is the norm. The coast is nice in the summer, but in the winter it's usually wet and windy -- but not as cold.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,915,722 times
Here is a site that you can look down at towns you know and do some comparison's to towns elsewhere. It will show the averages from 1981 to 2010, so it should give you an idea of what the weather does.

UNITED STATES CLIMATE NORMALS 1981-2010

Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,236,864 times
out longer during the winter, usually long silk underwear, un insulated coveralls (unless it -20 or colder wear Filson wool bibs), a shirt then a wool sweater light , med , or heavy depending on temp, silk rag around neck, wool cap with ear flaps, if there a lot of wind a medium to heavy Filson wool coat over a Filson wool vest. oh feet muck boots from wetland that are good to -20 or artic to -40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming