Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 07:05 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
OK. Disregard my prior post re restaurant biz and observations about the marketplace/traffic situation in Thermop. I certainly didn't intend any offense to you nor to waste your time with a "long dissertation" about my experience with this industry in the region. Suffice to say that I've lost every investment I ever made in a restaurant, even with the "best" experienced management, menu, interior, prime traffic location, even a name chef leading the kitchen, and I've watched a lot of other places go belly up, too. Indeed, I've been assisting two friends here in Cheyenne put together commercial kitchens recently, and we've been buying up essentials at restaurant foreclosure/tax auctions around the region in the last 4 years.

Instead, I'd post:

A restaurant is one of the highest risk businesses to open up. Thermopolis presents no exception to that.

Happier now?
Short and to the point. I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM

29 posts, read 54,890 times
Wow, GeorgiainWyo that is a lot to think about. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond in such detail. We really like the idea of Wyoming and haven't ruled out Thermopolis but your points are well taken and we may have to pay more attention to other spots like Cody.
Thank you again!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdel07 View Post
Wow, GeorgiainWyo that is a lot to think about. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond in such detail. We really like the idea of Wyoming and haven't ruled out Thermopolis but your points are well taken and we may have to pay more attention to other spots like Cody.
Thank you again!
There is also a few of RV parks around the Cody area. It's close to Yellowstone NP. A lot of them would probably shut down after September.
Scott

Old 12-31-2013, 04:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiainwyo View Post
I lived in Thermopolis for many years and raised my children there. ... It is a great place to visit and there are many who live there and wouldn't live anywhere else.

... Raising a family there has both its good and bad points.

... Only you can determine what you need for you and your family. I would make a list of just what you really want in a town then check out Thermop and see if it has it. If you are happy in a sleepy little town then you would most likely like it. Best wishes to you!

Having done small towns my whole life, I concur. (Many are better to 'visit' than to live.)

Perfect for some. Not opportune for all.

Thermopolis is quite a drive for 'getting-out-of-town' (Which you do often as a family). I have really enjoyed and appreciated being near a community college (20- 30 minutes). My kids went to Community College instead of High School and that was a good benefit as well. (saved money and time for them). Always a variety of activities and educational opportunities. Look at Powell and Sheridan and Riverton as nearby solutions. (Consider NW SD (RC to Spearfish) as an option as well)

STARTING a business in a small town can be very tough. Have at least enough dough stashed to keep your family and business alive for 3-5 yrs. The right combination will probably succeed but it will never be an ez life or ez money.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-31-2013 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
There is also a few of RV parks around the Cody area. It's close to Yellowstone NP. A lot of them would probably shut down after September.
Scott
Scott is correct that there are RV parks in the Cody area. The commercial ones are right in town and there are also some that are state campgrounds, such as at Buffalo Bill Reservoir. We have to pass one in Cody to get to our home. From about May through September and into October it is full to the brim. We have noticed that many of the RVs there stay there for weeks & even months. I have heard that RV spots fill up very quickly in Cody so reservations need to be made well in advance at most of them. Therefore, there is probably room for another park, pending finding property that would suffice. One difference between Cody and Thermop (just using as a comparison) is that there are a much greater number of tourists who stay in Cody during the summer than in Thermop. There is more for them to see, do, etc. not to mention the closer proximity to Yellowstone. I would think that an RV park would generate much more income in Cody than in Thermop and the season is a bit longer as well. That being said, the owners would still need to budget so that the income made during that 5 months or so of the year would carry them through the remainder of the year. Aside from Thermop and Cody, there are RV parks all over the state. However, not many of the towns would be considered "tourist" towns. The Jackson area is, but the cost of living there would most likely be prohibitive. In any case, you may be interested in checking out other small Wyoming towns to see what is available as far as your prospected business goes. Not sure whether you are looking more for the tourist trade or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming