Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,988 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to Cheyenne soon and I was wondering if they offer courses to learn to drive in winter. We're from Florida and have never done any serious winter driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,988 times
I forgot to ask about clothes! What are some essential wardrobe items for dealing with all that cold?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donewithflorida View Post
My family and I will be relocating to Cheyenne soon and I was wondering if they offer courses to learn to drive in winter. We're from Florida and have never done any serious winter driving.
There is nothing like experience. Every car, every set of tires, every condition (ice, packed snow, slush, etc...) is going to be different. Remember this, Double your distance, and half your speed. It's a good rule of thumb. On average, it takes at least twice the normal distance to stop your car. When you encounter slick conditions, cut your speed in half. Once you gain experience, you can push those limits a little more.

The best advice I can give is for you to find a large parking lot that the store is closed. Test the limits of your car. I don't mean go screaming across the parking lot at 60 and crank the wheel. I mean, at moderate speeds of 10-15, try stopping. Try taking off. Do that in each condition to get a feel for what your car, can, and can not, do. Go out on the county roads and try some slight hills. Try taking off while going uphill, or try stopping while going down hill. You relaly have to feel out what that car will do. If you have two autos, each one will be different.

Sunsprit is from that area and he should be along shortly and he might possibly know of any driving schools in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donewithflorida View Post
I forgot to ask about clothes! What are some essential wardrobe items for dealing with all that cold?
Essential? Clothes. Warm clothes. Lots of warm clothes. There are brands, expensive, that really do a good job. Dressing in layers is the best thing you can do. Of course, it is going to depend on circumstances. You don't want to have on insulated bibs and 3 hoodies to go out for the evening. You don't want that jacket if you are going snowmobiling. 5 layers is not uncommon. Tshirt, shirt, sweater, hoodie and windproof jacket is about the most common thing you will see with people that spend a fair amount of time outside. If you can keep your head, hands and feet warm, the body will follow.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:45 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Also, on warm clothing as EH has mentioned. You should look, and buy, in the area your are moving to (Cheyenne) because your will have the correct clothing for the area. In other words don't buy your winter clothes in Florida, it won't be the same.
Best of luck with your move,
Scott

Old 01-16-2014, 02:19 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
In Cheyenne, LCCC (Laramie County Community College) lists a Driver's Ed Course in their catalogue. This program was targeted to teens getting their first driver's license due to the cut-back of the driver's ed program at the high schools in Cheyenne a few years ago. The incentive to take the program is that a teen can get their driver's license earlier with the approved program completion; IIRC, Cheyenne high schools now only offer a summer school driving program that is on a fee basis for the high school students with 6 hours of behind the wheel instruction.

Otherwise, the only adult driving instruction in the area is in Fort Collins. Their focus is first-time drivers getting their license. You'll have to inquire if they offer behind the wheel adult winter driving instruction.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-16-2014 at 02:33 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
...Remember this, Double your distance, and half your speed. It's a good rule of thumb. On average, it takes at least twice the normal distance to stop your car. When you encounter slick conditions, cut your speed in half...
Perfect advice! Being born in, and having lived my whole life in Southern California, I never had much of an opportunity to drive on ice/snow. Whenever we get snow in the local mountains, the first people up the hill are the highway patrol who forces everyone to put on tire chains if they expect to continue up the mountain. In two-inches of snow???

It was a delight the other year when I spent several weeks in West Yellowstone during December. All the cities streets were snow/ice covered and snowmobiles were the preferred mode of transportation by the locals. What cars were out did not have tire chains. "Huh?", I wondered. It took me all of about one minute to learn how to drive on the stuff. Like ElkHunter said, slow down and give more room between yourself and whatever is in front of you.

However, I did learn one very important lesson this past December when I was driving in Sheridan. When you are driving through town, and the light ahead of you turns yellow . . . don't try to stop! Just continue rolling through the intersection. Cross traffic will wait for you.

As I was approaching one light that turned yellow, I tried to stop. Eventually I did . . . in the middle of the intersection! How embarrassing. And this was with an AWD car. At least I didn't end up sideways. I can only imagine the thoughts of the other drivers around, "Sheech! Stupid Californian. "

Afterward, I started driving more slower than I had been and kept a closer eye out for the cycles of the signals.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:19 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Perfect advice! Being born in, and having lived my whole life in Southern California, I never had much of an opportunity to drive on ice/snow. Whenever we get snow in the local mountains, the first people up the hill are the highway patrol who forces everyone to put on tire chains if they expect to continue up the mountain. In two-inches of snow???

It was a delight the other year when I spent several weeks in West Yellowstone during December. All the cities streets were snow/ice covered and snowmobiles were the preferred mode of transportation by the locals. What cars were out did not have tire chains. "Huh?", I wondered. It took me all of about one minute to learn how to drive on the stuff. Like ElkHunter said, slow down and give more room between yourself and whatever is in front of you.

However, I did learn one very important lesson this past December when I was driving in Sheridan. When you are driving through town, and the light ahead of you turns yellow . . . don't try to stop! Just continue rolling through the intersection. Cross traffic will wait for you.

As I was approaching one light that turned yellow, I tried to stop. Eventually I did . . . in the middle of the intersection! How embarrassing. And this was with an AWD car. At least I didn't end up sideways. I can only imagine the thoughts of the other drivers around, "Sheech! Stupid Californian. "

Afterward, I started driving more slower than I had been and kept a closer eye out for the cycles of the signals.
Did you notice that when the light turns red, the light from the cross street also stays red for a few seconds. For a few seconds, the lights are red from all directions. We call them snow slide lights. Gives people a chance to slide through the intersection.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
There are plenty of race tracks in FL. They will offer 'skid school' for under $100. It is worthwhile training to build your confidence and ability IN CASE you ever lose control (which we hope you don't).

Each vehicle is a bit different, and WY winter driving is not too tough (Crunchy / 'traction' snow vs freezing rain / heavy, wet snow.) You do need to learn to drive via reflector posts on the highway. Many times you can't see the actual road (Blowing snow 1-3' off the ground). but the traction is decent. Wind is a challenge, but tough to prepare for.

Buy your clothes enroute. (KS, CO, NE, WY). There will not be the stuff you need in FL. Thrift stores in the midwest will have great deals for your kids, and they can pick out their Snow-Suits! (Bring extra). A feed / farm store in (KS, CO, NE, WY), will have some nice poly-prop long-johns. bring plenty. Knitted Hats and scarfs too. LINED gloves (not knitted) the wind blows right through the knitted ones.
Overshoes / rubber boats are not a high priority, as the snow is dry (for the most part). Warm boots (or extra 'tall' socks) are a good idea for the kids that prefer Outdoors to indoors

Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 PM

41 posts, read 79,131 times
Don't ever slam on your brakes in the snow or on ice! It will create a bigger mess. Like the previous poster said, gradually slow down and at intersections, it's better to coast through slowly at a yellow light than to slam on the brakes to try to stop in time. AND especially while you're learning to drive in these elements, please stay out of the left lane. :-)

As far as clothing, lots of layers are best! Thermal long sleeve t-shirts are great to wear under almost everything! And make sure the bottoms of your shoes have good traction! It's a big change from Florida, but you'll learn and adapt! Good luck!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:38 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbonfay View Post
...make sure the bottoms of your shoes have good traction!...
Excellent point! Ice is pretty slippery if you are not paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming