Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM

6,333 posts, read 7,685,962 times

Advertisements

As if this wasn't already widespread knowledge.

Where I saw the story on Drudge:

Wyoming most conservative, D.C. most liberal in 2013 | TheHill

The Gallup story:

Wyoming Residents Most Conservative, D.C. Most Liberal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 PM

10,251 posts, read 13,765,382 times
I would have thought Idaho was more conservative. I guess you learn something new every day.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,232,317 times
The deep routed reason why Hawaii is so democratic. Goes back to the US Government overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdome in 1898. When the Higher elite Republicans in Hawaii at the time helped bring involved in the planning, of that event. That is why basically Hawaii has always been Democratic ever since. So every Election out here when i vote its always as a republican knowing it won't really matter. But i cannot just give in here, there has to be a few who speak out, and vote in Opposition against all the tax and spending. Then when everyone complains of the high taxes, and this and that out here. I can always say i voted against that measure or that governor and his programs for that reason. We have had a Republican Governor once in my time here. But the legislature in state house and senate is all Democratic, with a sprinkling of Republicans mixed in.
So that's how it is out here in the Islands.
Scott

Old 02-01-2014, 10:57 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,214,678 times
I've lived in a lot of states and Wyoming is an island of sanity (mostly) in a world gone 180 degrees out of whack. I'll never live anywhere else again.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,398 times
I live in Southwestern Virginia and I am trying to get out of this formerly red state turning hardcore blue because we are being infested by government bureaucrats in Northern Virginia. We just had a gubernatorial election in 2013 and the progressive, dirt bag candidate beat out the conservative largely because the GOP gave no help to the tea party candidate. Wyoming looks like a very conservative state by all accounts. I hope it stays that way and does not go the route of Colorado or Montana. The liberals and invaded those states like cockroaches and turned them blue.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,528,466 times
Newcomers alone could not have turned Colorado into a Democratic state. Denver, Pueblo, and other cities have had heavy Democratic majorities for over a hundred years. The major reason was the heavy industry and the accompanying labor troubles which led to widespread union membership. In 1896 the voters of Colorado elected a radical leftist as governor who was bent on destroying the free enterprise system. Big Bill Heywood, president of the Western Federation of Miners, later the Mine, Mill, and Smelter Workers, currently the Oil, Chemical, and Atomic Workers, left this country after the Russian Revolution moving to the recently formed Soviet Union where he spent the rest of his life. The union never disavowed him.

Montana with its copper industry had plenty of the same groups. There has long been a history of radical trade unionism in the state. In fact, Montana has in the last hundred and twenty years been more often in Democratic hands and voted for Democratic presidential candidates more than Republican. The instant switch of West Virginia from a guaranteed Democratic state to a guaranteed Republican state in 2000 should, however, give us hope. The issue was solely guns as politicians of both parties in that state have agreed. Traditional union enclaves in Montana have begun to reject Democrats and Democrats are giving them sufficient reason to continue. In 2011 the Montana legislature overwhelmingly passed a bill restoring the rights of Montanas to carry concealed weapons without the hated permit only to see their Democratic governor veto the bill. The voters are overall becoming more Republican.

We must never forget that labor unions have contributed far more to leftist majorities than transplants. That's sound evidence for the likelihood that Wyoming will continues as it is. We have never had much heavy industry with the accompanying labor agitators. Wyoming has been a right to work state since the passage of the Taft-Hartley Act. Neither Montana nor Colorado ever offered that to their laboring classes.

Yes, the influx of Democrats is a problem. But they do not have the fertile ground here of Montana, and particularly Colorado with its large cities. Our biggest problem here is the presence of unionized government schoolteachers who work daily to indoctrinate Wyoming's children, the future voters. We need to do what many other states have done with respect to government unions: prohibit them. We can then eliminate their obscene salaries which have proven to contribute nothing to academic achievement.

We must be ever vigilant but can keep Wyoming as it is.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:14 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,028,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Newcomers alone could not have turned Colorado into a Democratic state. Denver, Pueblo, and other cities have had heavy Democratic majorities for over a hundred years. The major reason was the heavy industry and the accompanying labor troubles which led to widespread union membership. In 1896 the voters of Colorado elected a radical leftist as governor who was bent on destroying the free enterprise system. Big Bill Heywood, president of the Western Federation of Miners, later the Mine, Mill, and Smelter Workers, currently the Oil, Chemical, and Atomic Workers, left this country after the Russian Revolution moving to the recently formed Soviet Union where he spent the rest of his life. The union never disavowed him.

Montana with its copper industry had plenty of the same groups. There has long been a history of radical trade unionism in the state. In fact, Montana has in the last hundred and twenty years been more often in Democratic hands and voted for Democratic presidential candidates more than Republican. The instant switch of West Virginia from a guaranteed Democratic state to a guaranteed Republican state in 2000 should, however, give us hope. The issue was solely guns as politicians of both parties in that state have agreed. Traditional union enclaves in Montana have begun to reject Democrats and Democrats are giving them sufficient reason to continue. In 2011 the Montana legislature overwhelmingly passed a bill restoring the rights of Montanas to carry concealed weapons without the hated permit only to see their Democratic governor veto the bill. The voters are overall becoming more Republican.

We must never forget that labor unions have contributed far more to leftist majorities than transplants. That's sound evidence for the likelihood that Wyoming will continues as it is. We have never had much heavy industry with the accompanying labor agitators. Wyoming has been a right to work state since the passage of the Taft-Hartley Act. Neither Montana nor Colorado ever offered that to their laboring classes.

Yes, the influx of Democrats is a problem. But they do not have the fertile ground here of Montana, and particularly Colorado with its large cities. Our biggest problem here is the presence of unionized government schoolteachers who work daily to indoctrinate Wyoming's children, the future voters. We need to do what many other states have done with respect to government unions: prohibit them. We can then eliminate their obscene salaries which have proven to contribute nothing to academic achievement.

We must be ever vigilant but can keep Wyoming as it is.

great post!! particularly the last paragraph!!

Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 PM

25 posts, read 58,604 times
The last 2012 county election map I looked at showed Utah and Oklahoma as the only two states that did not have a single blue county. Wyoming had Teton County as the only Democrat voting blue county.
http://www.politico.com/2012-electio...sident/2012/WY

Old 02-19-2014, 11:00 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,143,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I would have thought Idaho was more conservative. I guess you learn something new every day.

one of the reasons I moved here was because of the conservative/libertarian slant.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 PM

322 posts, read 584,211 times
The conservative slant is evident everywhere but I have found that I have to seek out the libertarian slant - it's here though, but not in large numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: