Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 05:01 PM

168 posts, read 370,087 times

Advertisements

My husband may have a job offer that would mean we'd be moving from PA to WY, and we're looking at Wheatland. I've done a lot of research and it sounds perfect! An extreme culture shock from what we're used to, but it's what we really want for our three girls. Anyone from the area and can tell us about the schools, things for kids to do, etc.? We will probably be buying a house because we have three cats and two dogs, as well, and I doubt we'll find anyone willing to rent to a family of 5 with 5 pets, lol. Any advice on housing? We'd like to keep rent under $800 and house price under $100,000, if that helps. Thanks in advance! It's either WY or TX, but we are definitely leaning toward WY. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 06:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
(Nearly) FREE lots ($100+ meeting the 'rules') for building a house was available in nearby Chugwater!, but that kinda fizzled due to lack of interest.
Wyoming Town Offers Cheap Land for New Blood : NPR

Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
A few miles north of Wheatland is where I call home.

Great people. Near a couple lakes. School sports, drama club, 4 H, FFA (even if you aren't interested in agriculture they offer great business training), active churches with youth groups... Only an hour from Cheyenne, if the roads are good.

Several realtors in town. They all have rentals. You are correct in thinking you may have difficulty finding a place to rent with that many pets. I suggest asking for leads from your husband's co-workers or at a church that you might be affiliated with. I haven't paid any attention to the housing market there for quite a while so don't know what is available in your price range.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the replies! There isn't much real estate to be found online that I can see, but we are determined. I'm a little worried about the wind, lol. I've thought about cutting my hair again, but if we move out there, I'm letting it grow so I can just pull it back and not worry about it whipping me in the face! :-) We just love the idea of the small towns, the beautiful views and just having a fresh new start!

Old 02-01-2014, 04:23 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Wheatland ... and "beautiful views"?

are we talking about Wheatland, WY?

What are you expecting to see there besides the rolling prairie? Definitely not mountain country, no big forested areas nearby ...

Old 02-01-2014, 04:39 PM

Not just talking about the views in Wheatland, but in WY in general. The sky is very pretty out there. We currently live in central PA and all we see is mountains and trees everywhere we look, but they aren't those pretty snow-capped mountains we've seen pictures of there in WY. Right now we only have pictures and the forum to go on, as we've never been out there. Within the next month, my husband should be out there for work, so he'll find out first hand what it's all about, and then our kids and I will follow him within the next couple of months.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:51 PM

I like the scenery around Wheatland.

Not far from Laramie Peak and Esterbrook if one wants pine trees. Guernsey Resevoir is pretty. Glendo Reservoir has great fishing and water sports. I like the country from Hartville over to Hwy 85 and the Rawhide Buttes.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I went fishing up by Laramie Peak about 40 years ago. Would it have been the South Fork of the North Platte? At any rate, it was some of the best fishing I've ever experienced anywhere, and I've fished a lot of Blue Ribbon streams. For a couple hours, every cast hooked a 16"-18" bow.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I went fishing up by Laramie Peak about 40 years ago. Would it have been the South Fork of the North Platte? At any rate, it was some of the best fishing I've ever experienced anywhere, and I've fished a lot of Blue Ribbon streams. For a couple hours, every cast hooked a 16"-18" bow.

I've had luck like that at Bluegrass Creek. Droughty conditions knocked it down a bit, but it's still worth a hike. Still have to watch for rattlesnakes, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming