Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 06:56 PM

73 posts, read 567,717 times

Advertisements

Driving across the state and would like to know what to expect. Will be driving on I-80 in late April. What is the scenery like, are there plenty of Motels, Gas Stations etc. Never been to your state before. Thanks for your info.
Tom Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
It's approx 400 miles across Wyoming on I-80. We typically plan on 6 hours of driving from Cheyenne to Evanston ... which allows for a stop or so to get fuel, stretch, and get a bite to eat.

The drive is mostly wide-open spaces, with a few towns along the way ... Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Evanston .... Westbound after Laramie, it's about 100 miles between each of the towns, with very few places along the way that have motels/services such as Little America. There's some very windy places along the way, and you need to pay attention to your driving.

In April, the weather can be very variable. Wyoming will still be in the winter months, the ground will be barren or snow covered with little greenery to be seen. You are just as likely to have clear sunshine and dry roads as a major snowstorm which may be severe enough to shut down the road. You should be prepared for the possible adverse weather and driving conditions with good tires, cold weather clothing, a snow brush/ice scraper, etc.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:14 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Well, let's see. You will see Antelope. Snow. Rolling hills. More Antelope. More snow. Oh, an old filling station that is no longer open. Then more antelope. Another filling station that ain't open. And then more antelope.

There is nothing!!!!!!! on I-80. Upper mountain desert. I can see the beauty in it, but not a lot of folks can.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:57 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Well, let's see. You will see Antelope. Snow. Rolling hills. More Antelope. More snow. Oh, an old filling station that is no longer open. Then more antelope. Another filling station that ain't open. And then more antelope.

There is nothing!!!!!!! on I-80. Upper mountain desert. I can see the beauty in it, but not a lot of folks can.
You forgot--umpteen semi-trucks--more than cars. That is, if the snow isn't blowing so you can see 'em.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:38 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,064,789 times
Gotta love those semi-made ground blizzards!!

Old 12-01-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You forgot--umpteen semi-trucks--more than cars. That is, if the snow isn't blowing so you can see 'em.
Yeah, there's a couple of them. haha

Old 12-01-2007, 06:43 PM

592 posts, read 2,243,178 times
Oh come on guys That is gods country out there. Yes there are gas stations etc in every town. Just keep your gas tank at least half full at all times. There are very nice rest stops along the way too.
Just be ready for the few places where the road actually curves a little, I had an exciting ride one time when I got to talking with my wife on one of those long straight stretches that all of a sudden take a right turn. Luckily the two feet of snow in the ditch slowed me down gently.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:53 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Default I'd See A Few Sights

I wouldn't mind making a trip there one of these years. If nothing else, just to take in some mountain and rangeland scenery, and to do some sight-seeing. It'd be a pretty good road trip.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomiles View Post
Oh come on guys That is gods country out there. Yes there are gas stations etc in every town. Just keep your gas tank at least half full at all times. There are very nice rest stops along the way too.
Just be ready for the few places where the road actually curves a little, I had an exciting ride one time when I got to talking with my wife on one of those long straight stretches that all of a sudden take a right turn. Luckily the two feet of snow in the ditch slowed me down gently.
You are right. That's why I live here. But let's clean it up.

There are gas stations along the way. It's just that "along the way" may have some big gaps. Do not pass a gas station if the weather is bad. You can fuel at Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, and then........ Oh yeah, Grean. There's big gaps. You should be fine, just top off the tank at a good stop and you'll roll into Salt Lake before you know it.

In Wyoming, we have a lot of miles of, well, miles.

You'll be fine on I-80.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:41 PM

14 posts, read 59,207 times
Plan to get gas at the Flying J in Rock Springs...always the cheapest gas along the route. And yeah, April is our snowiest month I think. And it's pretty breezy too. Bring a hat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming