U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM

400 posts, read 850,534 times

Advertisements

Laramie is an eclectic blend of cowboys, hippies, professionals, college students and locals.

Just go in with an open mind to discovering all there is to do around that area. And for heavens sake don't say "Back home we......" The rebuttal won't be a pleasant one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 03:32 PM

132 posts, read 323,092 times
Default too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomama2 View Post
The Buckhorn isn't the Buckhorn anymore, the name is the same but that's it, we stopped in a couple of years ago after the NE/WY game and were sorely disappointed to see how it has changed. The music was nothing that would have played there ten years ago and the clientele was young college students. There wasn't a local to be found. And now they closed El Conquistador too so Irving street is a mute point in Laramie anymore... ;(
@Wyomama2, that is sad to hear. I have lots of fond memories of that place. Everyone was lucky to have known it back in the day.
Still, Larmamie is a nice town, and I would love to see it again someday, maybe even move back, if my poor old arthritic knees can still stand the cold.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:03 PM

5 posts, read 13,644 times
I'm content with just staying in Laramie, but I met a number of professors during my visit to Laramie in January who live in Denver and Ft. Collins and commute up. That's crazy. I'm not doing that in the winter months for sure, although I think it would be nice to drive down and see Ft. Collins and other parts of Colorado in the summer.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 AM

18 posts, read 39,507 times
Congratulations on your doctorate and your new position. First, re your moving needs: call Alan Reed or Cody at C&A Feed for a UHaul truck. When UHaul corporate gave away our truck last summer, Alan got one for us in time for our move to go on as planned. C&A Pet & Livestock Supply, 307-742-0599. Second, friends of ours are big wrestling team supporters. If you would like me to contact them to organize some unloading "muscle" for you, I would be happy to do so.

Sunsprit's email tells it like it is. We lived in Laramie for 9 years and fell in love with the people and the town. It's a wonderful place, esp. if you like outdoor activities. While the cold is different than that in Michigan, the wind will make you stronger. The Laramigos who love the outdoors will inspire you to joyfully do things you likely haven't previously considered, like moonlight x-c skiing in subzero temps and double-digit-mileage runs in the snow (snowshoes prohibited). Only in Laramie have I gone to the nearest x-c trailhead on a subzero morning to find that almost all the parking spaces are taken. The summers are FABULOUS!!! Make sure you get out to Centennial, 30 miles west, to enjoy jazz in the park on Sunday afternoons, Beartree Tavern pizza and the wonders of the Snowy Range.

There are people in Laramie, esp. at the University, who have negative views of Laramie, its people, and its climate. There are more people who will invigorate you, people who turn down opportunities to be closer to shopping, more job choices, "nicer" housing, etc., just to stay in this quirky, tightly-knit community. Enjoy your time there--we would return in a heartbeat.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:44 PM

Yes, the Buckhorn Bar is still there. Full of dusty old heads, both living and dead. After 8P it turns into a college bar with music for which I don't care, but there is live music there at least twice a week. It's still my favorite place to watch the snow. We had to move away from Laramie last summer, but I can't wait to visit there in June. Ah, the Buckhorn...

Old 05-05-2014, 12:45 PM

El Con is gone? What??? It was there when we moved away summer of 2013...

Old 05-05-2014, 02:34 PM

11,310 posts, read 46,444,117 times
El Con is gone? it was there a couple months ago when we went to a presentation at UW, but stopped in at Thai across the street.

The food had dropped off noticeably in the last of 2013, but it was still OK.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 PM

400 posts, read 850,534 times
Yep, apparently Bob retired. You can rent it though and start it back up! A Laramie friend of ours posted a pic of them enjoying their last meal there, had the weather been suitable we would have travelled back just to enjoy another Archie Special!

Old 05-12-2014, 02:14 PM

3,076 posts, read 4,867,204 times

EWE HAUL

Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,229,693 times
I'm originally a Laramie native, but I moved to the midwest, so what you are doing in reverse.

I absolutely loved living there and wouldn't mind moving back to Wyoming in general in the future.

Laramie is a small town, but it feels larger because there is a fairly cosmopolitan environment with the university being there. Lots of outdoor recreational activities to do, but there is only one decent movie theater and nothing in the way of shopping.

I wouldn't recommend commuting for Ft. Collins or Cheyenne as someone else mentioned, the roads close frequently in the winter and you don't want to be stuck on the wrong side.

The best place to live is in the Alta Vista area by the Golf Course and Indian Paintbrush Elementary. There are some very nice newer developments there. AC is absolutely necessary there though, there isn't much shade and the sun beats down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming