Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 06:16 AM

6 posts, read 33,014 times

Advertisements

My dh is retired military and has just applied for a civilian government job on F.E. Warren AFB. We currently live in rural Michigan where we have been for the past 11 years. The last 10 years of his career he was Active Air Guard. Cheyenne sounds WONDERFUL! My biggest concern are the schools. We have 4 children ages 14,10,5 and 4. They are currently in a very small public school ....grades K-8 in one building totally only 135 students. So, the Cheyenne schools will seem very big to us! My biggest concern is for my 14 year old, who will begin 9th grade next year. Right now she is in a one room 8th grade classroom. If we stayed here, she would move to the high school next year for 9th grade....that school has only 309 students 9-12, but is in the same building with students K-12 with a total of 952 students K-12. Her friends are so important to her....I'm afraid she may go into culture shock with such a drastic change....and no friends to sympathize with her!

Can anyone tell me about the Cheyenne schools?? Thanks!! I've learned so much from this forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 10:08 AM

144 posts, read 625,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaiyan View Post
My dh is retired military and has just applied for a civilian government job on F.E. Warren AFB. We currently live in rural Michigan where we have been for the past 11 years. The last 10 years of his career he was Active Air Guard. Cheyenne sounds WONDERFUL! My biggest concern are the schools. We have 4 children ages 14,10,5 and 4. They are currently in a very small public school ....grades K-8 in one building totally only 135 students. So, the Cheyenne schools will seem very big to us! My biggest concern is for my 14 year old, who will begin 9th grade next year. Right now she is in a one room 8th grade classroom. If we stayed here, she would move to the high school next year for 9th grade....that school has only 309 students 9-12, but is in the same building with students K-12 with a total of 952 students K-12. Her friends are so important to her....I'm afraid she may go into culture shock with such a drastic change....and no friends to sympathize with her!

Can anyone tell me about the Cheyenne schools?? Thanks!! I've learned so much from this forum!
Cheyenne has 2 high schools-- East and Central, and each of them has over 2000 students in grades 9-12 However, there are much smaller schools within commuting distance of Cheyenne. If your main concern is attending a small rural high school, you may wish to consider living in nearby towns such as Burns (160 students in grades 9-12), Pine bluffs (125 students) or Chugwater ( a mere 35 students in grades 9-12). In fact Chugwater needs kids so badly that they are virtually giving away land and helping with home construction to attract new families.

FE Warren AFB sits right off Interstate 25, so all 3 communities are an easy commute for base employees.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:53 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,357,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixofone View Post
Cheyenne has 2 high schools-- East and Central, and each of them has over 2000 students in grades 9-12 However, there are much smaller schools within commuting distance of Cheyenne. If your main concern is attending a small rural high school, you may wish to consider living in nearby towns such as Burns (160 students in grades 9-12), Pine bluffs (125 students) or Chugwater ( a mere 35 students in grades 9-12). In fact Chugwater needs kids so badly that they are virtually giving away land and helping with home construction to attract new families.

FE Warren AFB sits right off Interstate 25, so all 3 communities are an easy commute for base employees.
I wouldn't consider Chugwater/Cheyenne an "easy" commute. It's 45 miles that can seem like 400 when it's blizzarding. And from any of the outlying towns mentioned, there may be days that you don't get to work because of the winter weather. I don't know how FE Warren looks at it, but--unless it's a big storm that shuts everything down--most Cheyenne employers consider it your problem if you can't get to work because of weather from where you live--you have to burn vacation time when that happens.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:59 AM

11,547 posts, read 52,903,008 times
I wouldn't live in Cheyenne to commute on a daily basis to Burns or Pine Bluffs or Chugwater for high school ... especially if this is complicated by extra-currlcular activites. In these smaller schools, virtually everybody has to participate in the team sports, for example, so that the school can field a team. Your children will be traveling a lot on school buses to area meets; if that's what you want, then it would be better to live in the town or immediate area of the school. Winter months can make the commute rather "sporting", if not impossible on some days. It takes a lot of snow before the school will declare a "snow day", so you're expected to be there just about every day.

I'd also question the social aspect of doing this commute ... your child will have friends at school some distance away, and a lot fewer opportunities to socialize with their peer group in your Cheyenne neighborhood. Consider, too ... there's a lot of "school rivalry" between these school districts.

LCSD#1 ... Cheyenne ... has a very good reputation, with a low student/teacher ratio.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 33,014 times
Thanks so much for your quick responses! Dh commutes 25 miles to work right now. We commute to church, shopping and pretty much everything we need to do we have to drive a distance. If we move to Cheyenne, dh says that we are going to live "a stone's throw" away from the base! I'm sure our looking (for a house) radius will be a bit larger than that, but we definitely don't want to live 45 miles outside of Cheyenne! Sounds like the Cheyenne schools have a good reputation. Does one high school stand out in front of the other?......or is that a matter of perspective....you said there was a lot of school rilvary. Also, do you HAVE to go to the school that you are living closest to?.....or do you have a choice which school to attend? Thanks!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 13,730 times
Cheyenne has two public high schools, one Catholic High School, and one alternative learning high school. Neither of the public high schools in Cheyenne has grades 9-12, as referenced before. In Cheyenne we have 3 junior high schools, which are grades 7, 8, and 9. High school starts with 10th grade, through the 12th. Cheyenne Central has 1,200 kids, not 2,000. East has about the same. I would think long and hard before moving to Chugwater or Pine Bluffs. Carpenter or Hillsdale would definitely be an easier drive; about the 25 miles that you do right now. Both public high schools are excellent, with their SAT, ACT, and other scores above both the state AND national levels. Your daughter will be in grade 9, so will NOT be in high school. The local junior highs are Carey Junior High, McCormick Junior High, and Johnson Junior High. McCormick Junior High has approximately 1,000 students and a student/teacher ratio of 14:1... pretty darned good. I believe that Cheyenne schools have a choice program, but I'm not sure. I am VERY jealous, as I am stuck in Massachusetts. I will be coming home soon, though. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,983 times
I used to be Director of Human Resources for the Laramie County School District #1, so cannot be totally objective, and that was about ten years ago. However, I have kept in touch with my successor the Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources and some of the HR staff. I am impressed with the quality of teaching and support staff, their commitment to students and the changes they have made over the years to improve the overall teaching and learning, as well as the working climate. I spent time in most all of the schools, and especially in Central and East High. I was impressed with the learning climate. My daughter was a guest for a day at Central while living in another city with her mother. She loved Central. What impressed me most about this school district was the quality and commitment to students of the teaching and administrative staff. There is also a relatively new Superintendent who is well qualified and obviously committed to improvement in student learning and achievement. I would talk with the district to answer more of your questions. Overall, Cheyenne is a good place to live, though weather can be a bit harsh at times. Enjoy!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:32 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,040,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanlente View Post
I used to be Director of Human Resources for the Laramie County School District #1, so cannot be totally objective, and that was about ten years ago. However, I have kept in touch with my successor the Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources and some of the HR staff. I am impressed with the quality of teaching and support staff, their commitment to students and the changes they have made over the years to improve the overall teaching and learning, as well as the working climate. I spent time in most all of the schools, and especially in Central and East High. I was impressed with the learning climate. My daughter was a guest for a day at Central while living in another city with her mother. She loved Central. What impressed me most about this school district was the quality and commitment to students of the teaching and administrative staff. There is also a relatively new Superintendent who is well qualified and obviously committed to improvement in student learning and achievement. I would talk with the district to answer more of your questions. Overall, Cheyenne is a good place to live, though weather can be a bit harsh at times. Enjoy!
This post is a year old, but wanted to say welcome to the forum! Feel free to start new posts in the main forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming