Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 33,160 times

Advertisements

I've been reading here for several weeks now. We are considering a move to the Cheyenne area from rural sw Michgian. I've read over and over again that the people of Wyoming are very accepting of new folks coming in as long as we accept Wyoming's way of life and not come in and try to change things. I have absolutely no problem with that. I would definitely look forward to embracing all of Wyoming and her ways! I'm getting a feeling of Wyoming's "way of life" from the posts that I've read. It really does sound similar to ou way of life here in rural Michigan. I thought it might be fun to get all of those ideas here in one post. So, for all of you Wyoming folks: How would you describe Wyoming's "Way of Life"? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Wow, what a mouthfull. Wyomings way of life.

I look at my neighbor and think, this old woman come and shoveled my walk last year right after I got out of the hospital. I will now, shovel her walk the rest of my life when I'm able. She's in her 70's and come and shoveled my walk.

I will always go to the local market, where people say howdy, and they mean it. They're not just saying it because the "Company says to do it." They are really concerned and are friendly.

I know the guy that hauls my trash. I often go out and he'll stop and chat for a bit.

I know my grandson's teacher by her first name. I am envolved. She calls me when he's not up to par.

My grandson's day care has me on speed dial. He's allowed 15 minutes to get there, and when he's not, she calls me. I go out looking. Normally he's building a snow fort and just lost track of time.

I know just about every doctor in town by first name. They are our life blood.

I have no clue what political affiliation my neighbors are. Could care less.

I live free. I hike when I can, I hunt when I can. My neighbors have brought me Elk, Deer, Antelope, Pheasant. I have taken them the same. We share. Sometimes we have ups and downs. so neighbors are important.

I drive down the road and see somebody stuck. I pull them out. Sometimes they offer money. I tell them, just help out the next person you see stuck. Stop for the next person you see stranded and offer help.

I stop and chat with kids coming home from school. They are the ones that will carry on when we are gone.

I want my kids, and my grandkids, and their kids, to enjoy the wide open spaces of Wyoming. But more importantly, I want them to have neighbors that are neighbors, not tollerant people, but neighbors. Here, we take care of each other.

A few years ago, we had a bad blizzard that knocked out power. I had 21 people staying in my house because I had a fire place. Warmth. I walked up and down the snow banks to get them here. But together, we stayed warm. Cleaned out my freezer. But it was a small cost to pay.

I can't think of anywhere in Wyoming, that if I was stuck in a blinding snow storm, somebody wouldn't welcome me into their home.

That is Wyoming.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 33,160 times
Thanks ElkHunter! Yes, say that three times fast....Wyoming's way of life!

Wyoming is sounding more and more like my place to be!! Sounds like it's all about the PEOPLE and not about the STUFF...love that!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:34 PM

416 posts, read 1,713,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaiyan View Post
Thanks ElkHunter! Yes, say that three times fast....Wyoming's way of life!

Wyoming is sounding more and more like my place to be!! Sounds like it's all about the PEOPLE and not about the STUFF...love that!!!
Ditto on that . . . just makes me want to move there more.

Now back to that job search.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Wow, what a mouthfull. Wyomings way of life.

<snip>(ElkHunter said a lot)<snip>

That is Wyoming.
ElkHunter said too much for me to quote, but I did want to say that what he said about Wyoming is what I love about it so much. Even though you're often miles from other folks in Wyoming, together you can be a community.

I've lived many years in the Los Angeles area where I didn't ever get to meet my neighbors two doors down, and only knew the ones right next door because I got their mail by mistake a few times. That was pretty sad.

Where I live now is a lot more like ElkHunter's description of Wyoming. I go into the market here and see 6 or 7 people I know, not counting the store personnel (which is usually 3 or 4 more). I get calls from my neighbors when they need help changing a tire on the side of the highway, and I'm glad to go help them out. The part of California where I live now is exceptional in that regard, and is nothing like the rest of the state. Of course, if the whole state were like Wyoming, I wouldn't want to leave here so badly.

There was a time not too long ago when people would never lock their doors during the winter in Wyoming, at least so I've heard. Maybe it's still that way. The reason was that if someone became stranded, such as during a storm, they could find a house to shelter in until the storm passed and they could get help. There would be food in the refrigerator or pantry that they were expected to help themselves to. If needed, they could spend the night, too. In return, they were expected to leave a note of thanks, clean up after themselves, and to do the same for others in need. Nothing more was expected, not even payment for what was used. I would like to think Wyoming is still very much like that, but with all the new folks moving into the state (especially in boom areas), I doubt that it's that way anymore.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I don't know all the answers. But I bought my house in 93. I have yet, to lock the door. Matter of fact, I don't know if I have a key.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:23 PM

5 posts, read 28,634 times
Sounds like a little piece of heaven on earth...Anybody need a nanny or a housekeeper/cook?

Old 12-12-2007, 04:46 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree1950 View Post
Sounds like a little piece of heaven on earth...Anybody need a nanny or a housekeeper/cook?
There are plenty of widowed and single ranchers all over the state ... you should know, however that the word "grizzly" does not apply to bears only.
Which brings up another little nuance of living in Wyoming ... and Montana ... and perhaps parts of the Dakotas - and that is ... history.
Even though Wyoming was founded by women (basically) and was a leader in women's rights in the early 1900's, it continues to be a "Good Ol' Boy" state ... which, according to your tastes, could be good or bad.
It means they operate a little outside the law in traditional terms - which, for me, would be fine if all the "good ol' boys" were college educated, etiquette-trained, well groomed free thinkers ... However, in that regard, Wyoming is lacking a little as is Montana. It is a state where you will rarely have your door opened by a male of any age ... they don't learn that there or teach it on the "wide" scale. As a female, you are expected to hike yourself up on your horse or into your side of the pick-up. You may also be asked to give up any leanings you have toward the "genteel" side of life.
Frederick's of Howwywood is not down the street.
In some towns, the barber is also the sheep-shearer. It is hard for a male to find a good haircut anywhere in the state. Plenty of women hairdressers though - and even places to get your nails tanned.
So, if you don't mind a little "Texas Justice" and a bit of rough play by the fellas then, you'll be fine. Otherwise, you'll have to do some training ... er ... of you, not of them.
And if you are a free thinker - consider this: There are not so many trees in Wyoming like you're used to - usually no Spreading Elms or Giant Oaks, nothing to hang a noose from ... but they have other ways of dealing with you.
Now, that's just about the "good ol' boys" - they kinda run things but stay out of other things. They're kinda above the law - and only occasionally below it - but they're there - and it has the dubious distinction of doing two things: "The Good" - it keeps Wyoming on the unique side. "The Bad" - it keeps Wyoming on the backward side.
For the most part, they're "God & Country". And if you're different than that, just remember ... in Wyoming, a sore thumb really sticks out!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:32 PM

5 posts, read 28,634 times
First I better explain, that even though I'm not from here, I am well aware of what it means to live wild..LOL..I worked a friend of mines ranch where i can castrate a bull with the best of them and know how to skin a deer if I have to..

As far as opening a door..hey, they don't do that where i live now..so biggie..My dad walked out on me when I was 6 months old so I've had to learn how to do things the hard way.

I can cook from either the back of a chuck wagon, a wood stove or a range..NOt meaning to brag but I can cook anywhere from 2 to 150 people and not bat an eye..
I'm not a frilly & lace person , although I can clean up nice when I want to..but I'm not afraid to get down and dirty if I have to either...

and yes, I do know which ens to mount a horse from..ROFL..

Bree

Old 12-12-2007, 07:44 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,536 times
That's some decent news. Sounds like one newbie that won't have to be sent out to castrate the steers.
Some of my best teachers in the Rockies were womenfolk - and I appreciate them for it. Most were hard-livin' and have gone on now but a few were softies too.
I just like to make sure folks don't run into a bunch of surprises when they finally make it to the real planet Earth - which exists only within the boundaries of the Rocky Mountain States - which sometimes includes Colorady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming