Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,469 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Casper from NJ at the end of the month and I drive slow already...not looking forward to the 80 MPH posted limits! :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 08:45 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
No worries; I'm orig from Monmouth/Ocean Counties; relocated out here over 21 yrs ago...I never felt the need to drive 80mph back then, and I still don't...nor will I ever. Anybody who feels that I am 'in their way' can use the passing-lane...that's what it's there for. Get on my bumper and try to aggravate me, and we will have problems.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,469 times
Ltdumbear, awesome, another NJ to WY person! Yeah, my little Yaris and I will keep on truckin nice and slow.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:56 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
There's more of us (out here) than you can possibly imagine; the trick to 'making it' out here, is to just immerse yourself 210% and leave behind all the stress and frustrations you're used to expecting back there, and just let Wyoming IN...take her for better or worse, roll with the punches and she can wrap you up in her weathered, welcoming arms and toughen you up in ways you never knew you HAD to be.

I LOVE it here, and even though (having visited with my Mom during hurricane Sandy) I went back and had a good look around (through the eyes of a mid-forties grown man) and didn't really find much that I DIS-liked about New Jersey anymore....I can't think of any pressing need to return there, other than to take care of family-business, once the Good Lord calls my parents home.

After that...I'm calling Wyoming 'home' until MY number is called.

Welcome...and have fun.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:59 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
For your recreational purposes here, Scott ...

be aware that there's a very active market on used Class C RV's, and a lot of very inexpensive ones in the marketplace. I frequently see them in the local paper ads for $3,000 to $6,000 range. Many in very good condition, folks just get tired of them or can't afford/justify the lic/insurance/fuel economy for something that they don't use but once or twice a year for only a few days.

IMO, a better deal with a self-contained rig over a truck with a small camper. More features, more utility, more living space, still able to tow a modest boat or ATV or toy trailer if you so desire. Even if you only get 12 mpg, you're in the same range as a pick-up truck loaded with a camper. (even my cheap '86 Ford F-250 diesel w/manual trans and a very modest crank-up camper [for low windage while traveling] equipped only with a bed, 10 gallon fresh water supply/sink, no waste water tankage [no potty, either], icebox [no refer/freezer], stove, and dinette converting to a bed, some closet/storage space, no house battery separate from the truck batteries ... pretty bare bones compared to a decent Class C RV ... only turned in 13 mpg at 65 mph and it struggled with the weight of the camper onboard, especially in the Wyoming winds. There were many times in two summer months where it could not maintain 65 mph on the road due to the summer winds, much less than the winds the rest of the year. I borrowed the truck camper to try the rig concept out for my sales travels in the area and it was a total loser compared to buying a '93 Class B Roadtrek Versatile completely self-contained rig. At $11,000, I had a mobile office, communications, restaurant, hotel, and full independence for boondocking easily for a week.)

I prefer the Class B RV to the Class C's ... all the utility I need for one or two people on a smaller platform. But virtually no marketplace here for them, so either locally not available or at outrageous prices when they do show up. I had to go to Albuquerque for mine, that was the closest active marketplace for good selection and pricing. The desert Southwest sees a lot of these, CA coastline areas, and SE USA are where the markets for Class B's are. If you've got the time and can do your shopping via 'phone, there's lots of dealers handling resales of these units for reasonable money, if you can justify the travel costs to buy one and bring it back to WY. I'd note, too, that the price points for the older ones like mine have come down in the last few years. The equipment, features, and finishes are essentially the same for the years '93-'99, so the only difference is the condition of the van chassis/engine and wear/tear on the RV equipment. Many interiors look almost showroom fresh in these if cared for reasonably well and the RV equipment is pretty durable if maintained (routine maintenance on the refrigerator, water system, aux generator (if equipped), and heating furnace are required to keep them functional).

Based on a Dodge 3500 chassis, I've used mine to tow the car trailer when I was picking up farm equipment in the region. Far better to travel those 300-400 mile days and have all the comforts of home on the road than driving my '96 Dodge 2500 Cummins or '95 F-250 Powerstroke ... even though the trucks have more towing power, I'm only targeting 60-65 mph and the Roadtrek gets 15-16 mpg doing this service. For a 3-day trip in the region picking up farm equipment, it's no contest even if the pick-up truck can get comparable or 1-3 mpg better fuel economy on diesel compared to gasoline ... given the disparity of diesel to gasoline fuel cost. Add in the costs of lodging and meals to the equation and the trucks aren't my first choice anymore for a lot of these types of trips unless I need the 4x4 capability at some point on the trip ... like my recent retrieval of a vehicle from a pasture.
Thanks Sunspirt. You make a very good point about a Class C RV. I will Look into picking up a used Class C. Seen quite a few in the 22'-25' Range that would work, the wife will like it better also. That way she can move around and lay down during travel if she feels like it. Do not need to go any longer in length.
Looking at picking up a Subaru. Only problem for some reason out here in Hawaii. The Subaru dealers do not sell Outbacks? They do sell lots of Subaru foresters. I guess i could order a Outback, but we will see. Plan to use for Dailey use.
Thanks again Sunspirt for the advice. Will start researching some more.

Last edited by ScottStielow; 07-08-2014 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Added information.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Did 80 on the trip to Laramie Friday and again today on the way home
I started driving just seven over the limit about twenty years ago. I've never had a problem with cops since. So when the limit is 80 I'll maintain a steady 87.

We need to get the speed limit up on our two lane roads. It's 70 in both Montana and Nevada; our roads are better. I started driving in Illinois when the speed limit was R & P. It was fine. That's what we need here.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YUCABONES View Post
I'm moving to Casper from NJ at the end of the month and I drive slow already...not looking forward to the 80 MPH posted limits! :/
It takes forever to get anywhere, so, you'll learn to get there faster. No reason to waste your life away driving, just get there.

Frankly, I'd be fine with 95 mph speed limits (so I can run 102).

Old 07-09-2014, 05:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
I drive 80-100 now where the speed limit is underposted at 70. In fact, I drove those speeds when the limit was 55. Thank goodness for radar detectors and CB radios.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:18 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Living in UT, we have had 80 mph speeds for some time on parts of I15. It appears to me that most just do around 75 or a bit faster. Yes, there are those who will even exceed the 80. I usually keep it around 75; especially when towing a lifted popup camper with my Silverado. And no screaming about the tires.

First, Goodyear published a bulletin for their Marathon Trailer tires that state inflating by 10 psi more than labeled allows you to do up to 75 mph. And while I had Marathons on the trailer for a year, I never had a problem on the highways at any speed. My problem was they did not like rocks when taking the trailer down some nasty trails in UT with my Hummer. Highway with the Silverado was no problem, or shall I say there was never a problem.
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...plications.pdf

So I switched to truck tires. And before someone pipes in on truck tires on trailers, understand that the main difference between trailer (ST) tires and truck (LT) tires is that for the same size, the ST tire is rated for a heavier load. That's what causes a problem. When a person pulls off a ST tire and puts on the same size LT tire, the load is not the same.

In my case, the trailer came with 175x80x13 tires (load rated at 1360 per tire). I lifted the trailer 4.5" and installed 205x75x14 tires and when that did not work ok due to the sidewalls being too fragile for rocks, I went with 215x70x15 tires, rated at 1653, which exceeds the original load limit by approx. 290 lbs per tire. And so far, have not been able to destroy one on the trails I have taken the trailer.

And maybe the most important thing you can do when towing a trailer with any tire is to install a remote air pressure/tire internal air temp gauge. Any tire might get a small leak while traveling, I don't care who makes it or what type if is. But if it happens on a trailer you will not know it like you would on a tow vehicle. And running on under inflated tires cause more internal friction due to side wall flexing, thus raising internal air temps until something gives with a big bang.

I run a system on mine that if the temp hits 150 degrees it sounds an alarm, if the pressures drop 10 degrees from what I programmed into the system, an alarm sounds. Meanwhile, all the time I am traveling I can look over at the screen and see air pressure/temps in all three tires (two on the ground and I even monitor the spare).

And just a note, many large fifth wheels already come from the factory with LT tires, but as mentioned, you need to monitor the pressures and temps for safety.

And manufacturers ship trucks with body control modules that will not allow you to exceed the rated tire speed the vehicle was shipped with. You can get a programmer to change that setting, but certainly not recommended unless the different speed rated tires are installed.

Now that I have basically hijacked this thread, although it was already hijacked for the same subject (tires), I'll go back to the forum and look for more information on moving to Lander WY. I just jumped in since I found it odd that it took WY so long to raise their limit on an interstate hwy.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:12 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
Wow, a whole 5 miles faster, I can hardly contain my excitement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming