Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:34 AM

5 posts, read 15,902 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of accepting a job offer in Rawlins, WY and I was just wondering if I could get some help with housing and whatnot. I've been calling around to some of the apartments in town and can't seem to find many places that don't require year long leashes. I'd be there for at least 4 months and as long as I don't screwup on the job I'd probably spend another 2 years or so there. Any one have any leads that you could point me to? Also, there's not much info on what's available in town by way of services and whatnot. Is Bresnan the only service provider in town and how reliable are their services? I once used Bresnan and I would often get disconnected from the internet for no reason. Is there another market other than the City Market and how are prices? I have a Subaru that's still under warranty, would I have to go to Casper for tune ups or is there at least a service shop in town? What do people do for entertainment? Also, one of the Rawlins threads mentioned a higher cancer rate in that area, why?

Any help with these questions would be appreciated along with any other thoughts that you guys might have. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 05:42 AM

A few more things. How's the fishing near Rawlins? I've read that there's decent walleye fishing in the nearby reservoirs, but what about trout? I saw that Seminoe Rd is marked as "other road" on my map, but I want to know if it's paved. How often do the roads near Rawlins close? I saw quite a few "Road closed if lights are flashing, turn back to..." signs all over Wyoming and I'd just like to know how often they actually close roads.

Again, thanks.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:00 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
Just curious, where would you be moving from?

Old 12-21-2007, 11:50 PM

Kalispell, MT

Old 12-24-2007, 05:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,969 times
Default good luck

I too am in a similiar situation. I'm heading there the 27th for 3 months (traveling nurse). I am a bit more fortunate though, they do have dormitory style housing for me. Don't really enjoy and never enjoyed it in college. Anyway once I get there, I'll scoop it out and let you know more info. I do know they have a 4 theater movie plaza. I think the only grocery store is City Market. They have an Alco (if you don't know what that is, it's like Pamida). I did hear that south of town the fishing is excellent. They also have a golf course. Like I said I'll check it out more and get back to you.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 10,545 times
You wouldn't happen to be start working at the prison would you?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:37 AM

JMay, no, the job offer isn't from the prison. I don't really want to say were the offer is from since I'm kind of seesawing on the decision whether or not to accept and move down there.

laramiern, thanks for the info. Hope the dorms are better than the ones from college.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:33 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,905 times
I'm not so familiar with Rawlins, but to find out what businesses are in the area, just check on a site like yellowpages.com It lists more than one place to get groceries there. You can check it for apartments too. It lists Bitter Creek, Forrest Ridge, Mps Rentals, etc. Even if they normally require a year-long lease, it might be possible to explain your employment situation with the landlord and work something else out.

Also, contact your potential employer(s) and local (Rawlins) organizations like the Chamber of Commerce for more information. (Call them on the phone rather than emailing, as a lot of people just ignore email.) Don't be afraid to ask realtors or other folks at local businesses about short-term rentals and other info either. Some people may not be friendly or helpful when you contact them, but who cares? Just thank them for the time they gave you and contact someone else. Some folks will be friendly and helpful. Tell the realtor that if things work out for you there short term, you'll use them to find a more permanent home. You can find realtors and plenty of other info just by taking some time to do web searches. If you're not very experienced at that, search first for tips on doing web searches. When you're serious about something like this, you need to approach it just like you would a job.

As for the Internet and cable, get DirecTV or the Dish Network. You won't have any problems with that.

Higher cancer rates, if that's true (you should require research references from reliable academic sources to buy it), wouldn't be easy to pin on particular facts . . . it could very well just be a factor of chance.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,287 times
polarbear - Had I had water in my mouth I would have spit it all over my keyboard when I read that you're considering moving from Kalispell to Rawlins. Are you nuts??!!! Sorry, I just don't have any other reaction to that, I can't imagine leaving a beautiful area like the one you live in to move to a place like Rawlins. Talk about a shock to the system, I would stay where you are or find a more suitable place to move to.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:53 AM

Well, northern Montana gets kinda boring after 15 years, and the job offer in Rawlins is a career position and I'd move away again after a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming