Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,123 times

Advertisements

we are thinking about moving next fall. pulling out retirement n heading to Wyoming. where are there plenty of jobs and housing ? I work in the security (education) business and he's an electrician and umpire. we are both 43. any advice out here would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 01:03 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
San Bernardino has a pretty benign climate, (I used to live in Loma Linda). I very, very highly recommend you make a trip this winter to experience the difference between a Wyoming winter and a Southern California winter. You must do this before you move! It's a different world. Think of the Victorville/Apple Valley ecosystem, but a whole lot colder and with a whole lot more snow and ice. Summers are the same, but maybe a little less hot than the Mojave Desert.

Even at that, Wyoming and the whole northern Rocky Mountain region has had fairly 'gentle' winters the past few years compared to the normal climate pattern of the area. It is not expected that this winter will be much different.

On jobs . . . a link has been posted often on this sub-forum of a state job web site that lists current open job requisitions throughout the state. A search will show the relevant threads.

Last edited by volosong; 10-06-2014 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: incorrect verb tense

Old 10-06-2014, 01:45 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Wyoming is short on jobs. It used to be that you picked a place to settle down and then hunted a job. Doesn't really work that way anymore, now you hunt a job and then see if that is someplace you would like to live.

The state has a website that all of the jobs listed in employment offices is on that website. Its very thorough and navigating on it is easy. You can do searches by job, pay, etc... www.Wyomingatwork.com I highly suggest you register on there and then ask questions of different places that have jobs available.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Wyoming is short on jobs. It used to be that you picked a place to settle down and then hunted a job. Doesn't really work that way anymore, now you hunt a job and then see if that is someplace you would like to live.

The state has a website that all of the jobs listed in employment offices is on that website. Its very thorough and navigating on it is easy. You can do searches by job, pay, etc... www.Wyomingatwork.com I highly suggest you register on there and then ask questions of different places that have jobs available.
Wyoming is short on jobs? Walmart and other businesses here in Cody are desperate to hire. Electricians shouldn't have any trouble.

Our summer workers are gone. We need people. Maybe Cody is special. The Great Depression lasted nationally from 1929-1939; in Cody it ended in 1931 when the first furniture factory making dude ranch furniture opened.

Employers do want committed people; that means people who are here and ready to go to work.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:30 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
There's a difference between simply having a job and having one that pays a living wage for the locale.

For example, a neighbor of mine ... An Air Force retired sergeant ... Has been through three different local electrical contractors (non union shops). His wages did not keep pace with the costs of a family, a nice 4-bedroom house, and a modest inexpensive acreage. Unless he was on a gov't davis-bacon wage scale project, he couldn't afford to work here. He's gone into his own related business and is now making a living.

Similarly, the wages offered in a lot of occupations with jobs going begging right now are not keeping up with the local costs of living. One must check into both sides of the job/housing equation before making a decision about relocation.

FWIW, the extractive industries in the area are paying pretty top wages right now. Gillette is a place to check out. But be sure to check housing costs, too. As well, consider the climate and the locale. Gillette is not everybody's cup of tea.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:02 PM

948 posts, read 2,790,748 times
There are towns in Wyoming, not really much for Cities per se. Only 2 counties have more than 50k people, and I see the county your in has over 2 million making it 4+ times more populated than the state of Wy. When you say security business, do you mean like alarm systems and such? I suppose there could be use for that in Cheyenne or Casper, maybe Gillette or Sheridan, or the ritzy places in Jackson Hole, but I don't know so much what the demand is like. People tend to have big noisy dogs and handy gun as their security around here. Electricians, seem to stay quite busy.
Elkhunters take on employment is a bit different than my family and friends experience - meaning they have had good luck with employment, everything from the 20 somethings to the 50 somethings seem to always have plenty of work
and quickly adjust when relocating throughout that state.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
While an electrician shouldn't normally have much trouble finding a job in many parts of Wyoming, fall and winter aren't the best times to go job hunting here. If you do find work, you may be outside where the wind chill dips far below zero. Far below. But many jobs, particularly in construction, simply can't be done in the winter. A former employee of mine was married to an electrician, and I know he didn't work a lot during the winter.

I'm in Gillette. The unemployment rate is currently quite low (4%?), and employers are looking hard for qualified help. (Most of that 4% probably have bad driving records or can't pass a drug test.)

Old 10-06-2014, 10:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
OP can head a bit east into Western SD and have additional job opportunities, as well as enjoy the same tax-free-state benefits.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:21 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,349,072 times
Wyoming is not 'metro-suburbia'...and she never will be, so the comments that 'jobs are plentiful' just simply is not accurate. Those who say such things are already doing 'well' for themselves, and likely have'nt been looking for 'work' for quite awhile, so they really don't know exactly how tough it is out here.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, c'mon out and spend a few weeks looking for housing and jobs; but I would highly recommend NOT just packing-up and bolting from wherever you are, without at least one of those two things already lined-up...or thing$ can get very tight VERY quickly; and if Wyomingite's don't know you well enough, I really doubt that you'll find much help from them, as they are quite used to hearing the story from those who have rolled the dice, and come-up snake-eye's a few times too many.

Just my advice, for what it's worth.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 PM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
All the towns and cities in Wyoming are good to move to. This is truly indeed "GODS" country. I was blessed 5 yrs ago when I had the opportunity to move back home. Having been here before I understood about the winters, however the wife having never been anywhere but North Carolina, had a hard time adjusting to this environment. The first winter we were here in was extremely cold and snowy but she survived. The state does a fine job of keeping the interstate clean in the winter. The trade off is that the spring, summer, and fall are absolutely wonderful. In Sheridan we have fairly good shopping for the "basics" but any special items will require a 2 hour drive either to Billings, Mt. or Casper. Again the wife is getting used to this. Air service here in Sheridan is dismal at best and this too will require Billings or Casper or possibly Denver (short 7 hour drive). Its all in how you look at it I suppose. IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming