Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 08:14 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,755,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Knowledge doesn't have a race, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation. Facts exist whether you believe or like them or not. Many people use "traditions" selectively in order to excuse themselves from learning things, but often never realize that their traditions are not the only ones that have existed.

The internet is merely a tool--a "non-traditional" one, by the way, that replaces direct human interaction and which, apparently, you use. Has it minimized your cultural traditions? It is always up to the user to sort out the information encountered, but the big step is actually getting the information and evaluating it as properly as possible. And if the internet is a mistrusted medium, there are also books available.
Bah! And some traditions have a solid basis in fact. They have purpose for the survival of a people. They are not invented in a random person's imagination.

But, you prefer to ignore what doesn't suit you.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:08 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,233,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
No, did you expect it to??????
From reading some of the post on hear you would think so.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,233,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow0102 View Post
I personally get tired of people saying "you disagree with gay marriage? You must be old" or "you are just stuck in the 60's". I'm 18 and i'm embarrassed and ashamed to be apart of this Liberal "progressive" generation. All that my generation wants to do is play video games and smoke weed all day long. Real "Progressive" isn't it?
Hey, I'm glad you don't smoke weed, I only tried it twice, a girl I was dating made me do it, but I didn't know to inhale, I never smoked a cigarette so I was clueless. For your own sake don't go down that road if you love yourself, it will lead to nothing good. The vast majority of folks your age do support SSM. You have the right to believe as you want, but as you get out into the world you wont find many in your age group who will be for support for equal rights for everyone.

There is nothing wrong with being conservative. I know all of you think I'm a big ole lib, but I'm right of center. Most of my gay buddies are the same way, it's just that the republicans jumped in bed with the Religious Right and made it clear to us that we are not welcomed.

It is good to see someone at such a young age like you be more interesting in current event, rather than playing video games and smoking weed. I bet a lot of your friends are the same way. Take that number and multiply it by millions and that is how many your age are like you. Don't believe the Hollywood BS that all young folks are pot heads and deadbeats hipsters.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:49 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,691,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
Nor deny to any person equal protections of the laws.

"The result, therefore, of a law is not relevant so long as there is no discrimination in its application. By denying states the ability to discriminate, the equal protection clause of the Constitution is crucial to the protection of civil rights."

Equal protection | Wex Legal Dictionary / Encyclopedia | LII / Legal Information Institute

They must issue marriage licenses equally.

Cool. The little 6 year-old girl down the road can marry her pony now, just like she wants. (I TOLD you we'd get to this... )

May be problematic, though. Seems her four year-old little brother wants to marry HER.

(Wait - No state will issue marriage licenses to four and six year-olds. Hmmmm. Seems that 14th thingie isn't doing so well for some of our younger citizens. Oh well, they must not be equal. )

Old 10-27-2014, 11:00 AM

382 posts, read 933,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Cool. The little 6 year-old girl down the road can marry her pony now, just like she wants. (I TOLD you we'd get to this... )

May be problematic, though. Seems her four year-old little brother wants to marry HER.

(Wait - No state will issue marriage licenses to four and six year-olds. Hmmmm. Seems that 14th thingie isn't doing so well for some of our younger citizens. Oh well, they must not be equal. )
You have to be a legal adult to sign a contract so that takes care of the child and the pony.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:08 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,288,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Bah! And some traditions have a solid basis in fact. They have purpose for the survival of a people. They are not invented in a random person's imagination.
Well, yes-- eating, copulating, sleeping. Those are some traditions that ensure the survival of humanity. The survival of a people--or a culture--will require more traditions, some of which win out over others. (For example, marriage between one man and one woman versus polygamy. Both are ancient formats found all over the world, including some Western and Native cultures, but polygamy has waned.)

The legalization of gay marriage doesn't affect heterosexual marriage. I'm pretty sure most people are capable of figuring out if they're attracted to the same or opposite sex. And if divorce rates are any indication, lots of heteros are getting married but aren't with the right person yet.

Quote:
But, you prefer to ignore what doesn't suit you.
If that were entirely true, I wouldn't be voluntarily conversing with a bunch of strangers, many of them conservative, about a controversial issue. In fact, I know that one of the best ways to clarify my position on issues is to understand, as much as possible, the other sides. Occasionally, understanding other points of view has modified my own in some way. Fortunately, many people who disagree with my opinions have similar approaches, and we're able to have engaging and thoughtful discussions, though we will end up agreeing to disagree.

Last edited by Empidonax; 10-27-2014 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 02:36 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,915,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You think the rights of racial minorities should also be left up to POPULAR VOTE!?
All rights have already been laid out. When a thing like this comes up, it should be voted on. Like I have said several times, I would probably vote yes, but that is immaterial. It should have been put up for a vote. "We the people", in the state of Wyoming, should be allowed the choice, it should not be allowed to go forward, by default. When our legislature allow that to happen, it simple tells me that they are not doing their job. And yes, I have sent letters to them telling them how disappointed that I am with them.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,915,722 times
Look folks, this has really been a great discussion, but let's be careful with the barbs. When you do that, you make it personal and we can't allow that. Please, discuss it, get your point across, but don't turn it in to a personal attack. You won't win, you'll just take a vacation. hahahaha

Old 10-27-2014, 04:20 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,164,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
You have to be a legal adult to sign a contract so that takes care of the child and the pony.
...child would only have to wait 12 years...Marriage Age: Wyoming: 18, 16 with parental consent.

but now if a man wanted to marry his sheep.....

Old 10-27-2014, 04:41 PM

382 posts, read 933,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
...child would only have to wait 12 years...Marriage Age: Wyoming: 18, 16 with parental consent.

but now if a man wanted to marry his sheep.....
Can the sheep sign a contract? No and either can the Pony. You must legally agree to marry. Why is that the go to slippery slope situation. I see no logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming