U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 01:58 AM

9 posts, read 10,267 times

Advertisements

I am 100% disabled Veteran Married and 4 kids from 7 to 2 years old. I no longer work and make about $3400 a month so I am not looking for job and just want to bring my family up better place then what Oregon has to offer now. I like the outdoors and hunting fishing. I do not want spend ton on money on rent, but I am looking for 3 to 4 bedroom house. I am not a big fan of neighbors and looking for a smaller School's for the kids. I would like to have Cable TV and Internet, VA hospital or clinic within 70 miles any Ideas for a family of 6. I will not be bring any liberal views with me as I am very right wing conservative but for the most part I keep my views to myself.

Last edited by carl1124; 01-05-2015 at 02:33 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 02:42 AM

10,059 posts, read 12,308,250 times
That's very light money for a large family in Wyoming. If you have cable you'll be in a city so a trailer park would be the obvious choice. Existing rural properties with any real amount of land start at about 200k in most areas except for some land with difficult water situations.

Wyoming is not a low COL state as the economy is quite healthy. I doubt that you can rent a suitable house for less than $1500.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:17 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,433,894 times
The typical formula is 1/3 of your income is housing - including utilities. So if $1100 is your total housing budget, you would be pretty strapped here with a family of six. Not undoable, but very, very tight. Cable/phone/internet alone is about a $100 minimum - more if you go satellite.

VA has facilities in Sheridan and Cheyenne (that I know of). The bigger centers here are Billings and Rapid City; Denver is the regional medical center. Sheridan is a psych-oriented facility, but has a medical clinic. The Big Horns have great hunting and fishing.

Some of the smaller towns are much less expensive than the bigger ones. Buffalo is 25 miles south of Sheridan and much less expensive. ElkHunter can tell you about Ranchester to the north - but I think it housing there is also a tad less expensive.

Good luck - we all love vets here!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,963,468 times
There isn't much in the way of fishing in Wyoming for people who move here from Oregon. That being said, Sheridan would probably be perfect for you in other ways. Good hunting, schools are excellent, and while your rental budget is a little on the low side for the area, keep in mind that even the "low rent" parts of town are safer than where you are now.

Everthing is a little on the pricey side here, but there is no state income tax (Oregon's is downright punishing), and if you do end up purchasing a home, property tax is 1/3-1/2 of what Oregon takes from your hide.

You may consider making a move soon before your oldest gets too acclimated to the schools in Oregon. Sheridan has excellent schools, and one complaint I've seen, although more from California folks, is that they wanted to put their kids back a year to catch up.

Oh, and outside of Cheyenne, and Casper to a lesser extent, there is no decent shopping in the state. Amazon.com is your friend.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:01 PM

3,121 posts, read 4,934,468 times
Fishing great in Star Valley ,You can get 3 of the Cut Slam all with in a few miles. My Daughter and SIL have been Ice fishing everyday they happen to get off together all winter, yeah some of the lakes are in Idaho but then we sit on the Border.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 PM

9,728 posts, read 18,754,727 times
In the northeast corner of the state are a few small towns that might have lower housing costs (not sure). Newcastle, Upton, Sundance, Hulett, Moorcroft... maybe even Pine Haven (on the shores of Keyhole Reservoir). These range in size from under 1000 to 3500 population or so. They're all 100-150 miles from big mountains (Bighorns), but in/near the Wyoming and South Dakota Black Hills.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:16 PM

11,369 posts, read 46,986,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
In the northeast corner of the state are a few small towns that might have lower housing costs (not sure). Newcastle, Upton, Sundance, Hulett, Moorcroft... maybe even Pine Haven (on the shores of Keyhole Reservoir). These range in size from under 1000 to 3500 population or so. They're all 100-150 miles from big mountains (Bighorns), but in/near the Wyoming and South Dakota Black Hills.
unless you've got some insight on specific properties with "lower housing costs" in these towns ...

I'd seriously doubt that they are less expensive places to live then some of the outlying towns around Cheyenne (Hillsdale through to Pine Bluffs, or along the Hwy 85 Corridor some distance away from Cheyenne ... closer in Hwy 85 area has been "discovered" by developers in the last few years and the prices are breathtaking now).

In my travels through that NE area, the impact of seasonal recreation and tourism is significant on the property values. The relatively remote location and low sales volume means locally available goods/services are pricey.

I recall having made some trips into Hulett and Sundance a few years ago, and developers were aggressively marketing retirement properties in the area to folk with outside incomes and significant affluence. One would certainly be dependent upon outside income and travel to Rapid City for most of their shopping needs.

As well, these towns roll up the carpet for the winter months. Limited commerce stays open during the winter months. Yes, you can buy the essential necessities ... at a price ... locally, but you'll really do most of your shopping elsewhere. Travel costs money with the distances involved.

As I do in so many of my travels, I keep an eye open for possible real estate purchases ... or just to watch the regional property/housing costs. These areas were pricey, and the OP's budget won't cut it here if they are seeking a reasonable standard of living.

The towns of the region catering more to bedroom communities for the extractive industry workers are under extreme pressure right now for housing; ie, house prices are up, way up. Another bubble in the history of Wyoming boom/bust development cycles and property values. Rental housing is virtually nonexistent; the most cost-effective way to live here is to buy if you have the resources to do so especially when needing more than a basic 2bd/2ba house of modest sq footage.

What few folk from out of the region know is that the land available for residential development is limited by the sizable tracts of public lands not available for such development. Approx 1/2 of Wyoming is such public lands. With National Forest and Grasslands having a sizable presence in this area, and regionally severe climate issues ... this is an historically low permanent residential population area of Wyoming ... in a state with a very low population count overall to begin with.

Overall, I'd say that the most likely combination of affordability (however marginal at the OP's income level) and satisfying the rest of their wish list would most likely be met in Wyoming in the Cheyenne area. For the most part, I think they've been priced out of the market in this region. I have seen some affordable price point houses, but even with some remodeling and updating to put them into saleable condition, I wouldn't consider them suitable for such a sizable family ... and I doubt they'd pass a VA loan inspection; not available for rent/lease, they would have to be purchased. The rental market is pretty tight these days for larger houses.

PS: I have a number of Cheyenne area neighbors who are members of a group seeking to establish an "outreach community" in that area right now. . Most have young but sizable families. Over the last 6 months in visiting with these folk, they have been struggling to find anything "affordable" compared to their Cheyenne area residences/acreages. None have been able to find anything suitable. As well, some of the group have been looking at replacing acreage here with similar size parcels for livestock/farming operations ... and have run into seriously limiting water availability and quality issues in the area. A few have looked into the Pine Haven area and have had to abandon any thought of locating there due to the expense. This is not an inexpensive area of Wyoming to live in at this time.

PPS: how compatible is the extreme climate conditions of Wyoming with the OP's physical abilities/condition? Long winters at altitude with the prospect of strong winds and many inclement weather days which can make any outside activity difficult or limit travel?

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-05-2015 at 11:00 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 10:39 PM

Sunspirit brings up a good point, in most places, if you do decide to stay, it will be cheaper in the long run to buy rather than rent. You may also look at other places... Montana still has some nice areas and North Idaho is a good place to find affordable real estate. In fact, if you're not worried about the commute, North Idaho has great places the further away you get from CdA and Sandpoint. Taxes are still reasonable too.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Fishing great in Star Valley ,You can get 3 of the Cut Slam all with in a few miles. My Daughter and SIL have been Ice fishing everyday they happen to get off together all winter, yeah some of the lakes are in Idaho but then we sit on the Border.
I've heard good things about fishing in Star Valley. However, it doesn't hold a candle to Oregon fishing.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 PM

3,121 posts, read 4,934,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I've heard good things about fishing in Star Valley. However, it doesn't hold a candle to Oregon fishing.
yeah there no salmon or steelhead runs other then kokanee here , but there some big mac off Jackson lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming