U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:19 PM

1,395 posts, read 3,123,669 times
Default Want to leave Minnesota

I would like some help with on what city or town is the warmest in Wyoming,
here in Minnesota it gets very cold. We were thinking of Cheyenne, but we are not sure. Minnesota is the worst place to live as far as cold and taxes.
My husband and I have a daughter who is 12 and a couple of little Yorkie puppies. We have lived here about all of our lives and now want a change, we would like to find a nice home to buy for about around 75,000 to 105,000 in a nice neighborhood, with hopefully someone around my daughters age so she could have a friend close by.
We are very nice people who are honest and caring, so if anyone can help, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We would like to move as soon as my daughter gets out of school in June 2007. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 10:02 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 1,598,442 times
Default Warm Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
I would like some help with on what city or town is the warmest in Wyoming,
here in Minnesota it gets very cold. We were thinking of Cheyenne, but we are not sure. Minnesota is the worst place to live as far as cold and taxes.
My husband and I have a daughter who is 12 and a couple of little Yorkie puppies. We have lived here about all of our lives and now want a change, we would like to find a nice home to buy for about around 75,000 to 105,000 in a nice neighborhood, with hopefully someone around my daughters age so she could have a friend close by.
We are very nice people who are honest and caring, so if anyone can help, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We would like to move as soon as my daughter gets out of school in June 2007. Thanks
Wheatland or Torrington are probably warmer than Cheyenne but you're going to have a hard time finding a home in that price range anywhere in Wyoming. Wyoming is in an energy boom. Lots of jobs but also high home prices.

Check the city-data home page for info on Wyoming cities. Real estate websites will help you see what the housing situation is.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:03 PM

Thanks for letting us know, would Fort Collins Colorado be better? We have been their years ago and we loved it. The mountains are so beautiful, it really takes your breath away. It is so hard when your not right there to be able to look at the housing that is with in your budget. If you know of anything more please let me know. Thanks

Old 11-05-2006, 07:25 AM

49 posts, read 220,370 times
Fort Collins might be better as far as cold/wind goes, but as for the prices of real estate….last year when we sold property in Colorado/bought property in Wyoming, Colorado’s homes/real estate were much more higher priced than Wyoming’s. I’m not sure about current prices in either state, but from past experience, I would think you could purchase a very nice home, in a nice neighborhood, using the price range you gave here in WY.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:53 PM

Thanks for your help, it is so hard to know when we are not from around that area, and the only time we have been out that way was on vacation, and then we were busy sight seeing.
Now I wish we had paid more attention to housing cost and looked more into it when we were there.
Either way, I will be heading out that way in June of next year, I told my husband that I will not live another winter in Minnesota, I am desperate to find something by then, at least I have about 7 months to do it in.
If any one has anything they can send by e-mail please send it over, my e-mail is rdtbrandsoy@web-room.net, like houses for sale, or anything that would be of help. Thanks, Dorene

Old 11-05-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munshine View Post
Fort Collins might be better as far as cold/wind goes, but as for the prices of real estate….last year when we sold property in Colorado/bought property in Wyoming, Colorado’s homes/real estate were much more higher priced than Wyoming’s. I’m not sure about current prices in either state, but from past experience, I would think you could purchase a very nice home, in a nice neighborhood, using the price range you gave here in WY.
I was wondering in what part of the state are you talking, as far as finding a house with our price range? It would be very helpful. Thanks

Old 11-07-2006, 05:57 AM

49 posts, read 220,370 times
The only part of WY I have any personal experience with is Carbon and Laramie counties. That being the areas around Cheyenne, (and or, Pine Bluffs….southeastern part of the state), and through/up to, the Rawlins area, (still southeastern part of the state, but 124 miles west of Cheyenne).

A website that would provide current real estate prices, and for both, Colorado and Wyoming, is www.realtor.com (broken link). At this website, if you’ll search using the name of the city and state, it should show you the majority of homes/property currently for sale.

Pertaining to a previous post regarding high prices for WY homes; Since we purchased our home in WY last year, real estate prices have sky-rocketed since that time. But in my opinion/judgment, prices here in WY now, are still less than, at least, last year’s going-rate in Colorado.

One more ‘opinion’ of mine regarding the comparison of Ft. Collins/Colorado to anywhere in WY; Most all towns/cities in CO are much more highly populated than those in WY. A place with more people does mean more crime/congestion, etc. And WY, unlike CO, has more wide open space, (and meaning, also, much longer driving times to obtain certain amenities, etc.). You might consider which type of area you’d be most comfortable in, while considering which state to choose.

Happy hunting and Good Luck to you!

Old 11-07-2006, 05:09 PM

Thanks Munshine, I will check into it. It all seems so hopeless when we are way over here and you can't see up close, as to what is out there.
Checking on this sight it seems like everything out that way is high, we just want a nice place to call home, not a big mansion. There also isn't much for housing as far as what I have found.
You really feel low when you think you have found an area that you would like to live in and the house prices are way to high or they don't have any in your price range. I will not give up, just have to look harder. Thanks for your help. Dorene

Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,910 times
Oof-duh! I hail from Hallock, MN!--I currently reside in Nebraska. I can sympathize with the cold. I just moved from Wyoming after 27 years because they want to be too much like Colorado in laws and prices. I also lived in Denver, Colorado for six years and would not force someone to live there at any price! I am also very familiar with the Fort Collins and Greely areas. The mountains are not as pretty with all of the pollution ruining the view and even in the mountain its makes you gag. People will run you over even at 80mph to get up the mountain ahead of you. Colorado really sucks. Cheyenne is a pleasant town, but sucks when buying real estate--prices are not worth the value--keep in mind that many people are selling houses that would not sell ten years ago because of condition. Be very picky when buying real estate in Wyoming as there are many homes that are cosmetically desireable until you move in--my experiences. If I were to move back to Wyoming, I would move to Buffalo where it is friendly and beautiful in the mountains close to Sheridan, Wyoming. Buffalo's biggest problem that I saw when looking for real estate, was that the high school did not have any parking and the students parked everywhere including private driveways, so look considerably away from the school. There is no real warm place in Wyoming in the winter and I have lived from one end of that state to the other. I moved to Nebraska because of the cost of real estate in Wyoming--I got a better deal in Nebraska even with their taxes.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:34 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 1,598,442 times
Default housing prices

Wyoming real estate prices are high. However, it does depend on where you are looking. And remember, what's high to someone may not be to someone else. I lived in Annandale, MN for 3 years. Longest 3 years of my life. Yuck!! I grew up in north central MT and have never been as cold as I was in MN.

I'm not sure what was meant in a previous post about the WY laws getting like CO. My sister lives in CO and you couldn't pay us enough to live there. We do have to drive farther for things but the friendliness and open spaces are worth it.

Yorkie Mom, you didn't say if you (maybe I missed it) need employment. That is something to look at when you are looking for a place to live. Also remember that WY property tax is much less than MN. We had 27 acres and a home in MN and now have 120 acres and a home and pay less here in WY than we paid there.

Remember also when you are looking for a home that listing price and selling price are not the same! Just because a home is listed for $$$ doesn't mean that's what the seller will take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming